Old 02-03-2006   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Is it better to rip to files or iso?

What works better with standalone players, ripping to files and then burning or ripping to iso and then burning? Also, if no compression is needed should i just have shrink use nreo to burn directly? One more thing is it a better pactice to rip to HD or on the fly burning assuming no compression needed. Thank you for the input!
mb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Is it better to rip to files or iso?

Everyone has their own method for backups, I'm not sure any is 'better' than the other. Just different IMO.

I personally rip files to HDD, build an ISO image from the files and then burn the ISO. While it may be a little longer than burning on the fly, I value the flexibility and control this offers.
brokenbuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

For standalone players it doesn't matter, if you have an output as an iso or files. More important is to use quality media and to find out which media your player likes.
BenQ 1620pro
BenQ 1640, 1650, 1655
LG GSA 4163 B
LiteON 832s
NEC 1300A, 4550A
rapid fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #4
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

It is related to the software you want to use for burnings. If you want to use ImgBurn or CD-DVD Speed, you must use ISO files. If you use nero or roxio or other softwares, files are good.

There is no difference in quality providing, as said rapid fire, that you use quality media
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #5
MyCE Member

Here's some info on ISO pros and cons.

Chetwood's DVD Snippets

Home of MultiShrink: a small tool to enable DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #6
Retired Moderator

Unless you're burning to a dual-layered dvd, there's virtually no difference in your final product after transcoding to a single-layered dvd. If the source dvd is single-layer, you can burn on-the-fly if your dvd read speed is at least as fast as your dvd write speed.

I don't respond to questions through PM that should be asked in the forum
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #7
CD Freaks Rookie

Thank you all for your comments. It's just that i read somewhere in this forum that some standalone's have problems with burned images, so i thought it's better to ask. I just bought my first burner(BenQ1655) and ordered 100 TY DVD+R media from Rima. I figure since BenQ will allow me to bittset +R to ROM I will have the best chances of compatability, along with genuine TY media. I will start out trying to stick with freeware like Shrink, Decrypter, Vob Blanker and only buy s/w if needed, will also try to stay away from compression even if it means 2 dvd's since what's most important to me is quality and longevity(maybe only shrink to get rid of things without touching the movie). What do you all think of this approach? Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb70
Thank you all for your comments. It's just that i read somewhere in this forum that some standalone's have problems with burned images, so i thought it's better to ask. I just bought my first burner(BenQ1655) and ordered 100 TY DVD+R media from Rima. I figure since BenQ will allow me to bittset +R to ROM I will have the best chances of compatability, along with genuine TY media. I will start out trying to stick with freeware like Shrink, Decrypter, Vob Blanker and only buy s/w if needed, will also try to stay away from compression even if it means 2 dvd's since what's most important to me is quality and longevity(maybe only shrink to get rid of things without touching the movie). What do you all think of this approach? Thanks again!
you'll still need a program like anydvd to remove the newest copy protection, it's a good investment

Bj

click HERE to join cdfreaks
Bjproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

Good choices and a sound method in regards to your backup.

I would suggest adding AnyDVD to your list of needs. While Shrink and Decrypter were great tools (still are in many ways) they aren't exactly current. Neither tool will do much with newer encryption schemes.
Old 08-03-2006   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Then i should probably get the combo AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 which is a better deal, which means I wouldn't have any use for Shrink. As for images, did anyone hear anything about stanalone players having issues with burned images rather than files? I could have swore Iread that in one of the forums here, but i guess trial and error will set me straight. thanks again
Old 08-03-2006   #11
MyCE Resident

Most of the issues I've read about here with standalone players seems to be the result of using less than stellar media. I don't think you will have any problems in that regard as you have made a good choice going with TY.
Old 08-03-2006   #12
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Playback problems on standalones many times are due to a bad burn. A thing that improve compatibility (mostly with older standalones) is to burn +R media setting booktype to ROM. Too bad not all burners allow to change booktype.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

It looks like AnyDVD is a must, but may be able to get away(atleast for now) w/o CloneDVD. Read a post in the AnyDVD forum that talks about the settings to use if using Any and DVDD and then burning with ImgBurn, and in those hopefully rare times when there is no point of splitting to 2 dvd's just use Shrink to remove features and leave movie untouched to fit on one dvd. The BenQ1655 arrived today(ONE day after order from NewEgg ) now just waiting for the TY's from Rima, can't wait to start . Hope to hear some more ideas, thanks again!!!
Old 09-03-2006   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb70
It looks like AnyDVD is a must, but may be able to get away(atleast for now) w/o CloneDVD. Read a post in the AnyDVD forum that talks about the settings to use if using Any and DVDD and then burning with ImgBurn, and in those hopefully rare times when there is no point of splitting to 2 dvd's just use Shrink to remove features and leave movie untouched to fit on one dvd. The BenQ1655 arrived today(ONE day after order from NewEgg ) now just waiting for the TY's from Rima, can't wait to start . Hope to hear some more ideas, thanks again!!!
you can also just keep on using DVDD for the burning aswell,
MODE-ISO-WRITE/READ

Bj

click HERE to join cdfreaks
Bjproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006   #15
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal
Unless you're burning to a dual-layered dvd, there's virtually no difference in your final product after transcoding to a single-layered dvd.
What if you're burning to a DL disc?

Up to now I have always used single-layer discs. I use Decrypter to create files, process the files with Nero Recode and burn with Nero Burning Rom (using the drag-and-drop interface). But now I am about to buy my first batch of DL discs. If I continue to use Decrypter in file mode, will there be problems (at the layer break, for instance?)
joeroyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006   #16
Retired Moderator

If you're copying the entire contents of one dual-layered dvd to another, it's better to use ISO read/write mode to preserve the layer break.

Old 04-04-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal
If you're copying the entire contents of one dual-layered dvd to another, it's better to use ISO read/write mode to preserve the layer break.
Is there a tutorial to show exactly what settings work best if you want to do an iso?
gregtherotterius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #18
Retired Moderator

There are no "best" settings for ripping an iso with DVD Decrypter. It's one of those things that just happens. If you want, you can check all the boxes under the ISO Read Mode tab in the settings to remove all of the restrictions from the dvd, but this isn't essential.