Old 22-11-2004   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

avi to dvd ... rolling picture after encoding

Hi

I have an .avi I have encoded to dvd using 3 different encoding programs (don't laugh ... WinAvi, DvdSanta and D.I.K.O.).

When it is burnt (using Nero) to DVD and put in my standalone dvd player (which plays anything), teh picture is "rolling" ... ie. there are 4 "sections" of the film on the tv screen, all sort of rolling/flickering .....

The .avi is ....

23.976 fps ..... 576 x 312 (16:9), DX50
48000 hz, 128 kbps, MPEG layer-3

I have taken this as being NTSC.

Should I attempt to change the 576 x 312 to something else?

I cant get TMPGenc to work any more. Are there any other programs I can use to try to sort this out?

Any help gratefully received ....

Cheers,
Ian
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: avi to dvd ... rolling picture after encoding

Why not give VSO's divx to DVD ago !
Its currently under public beta testing.

The few conversions I have done have worked out really well.

http://vso.nerim.net/vsoDivxToDVD_setup.exe
Old 23-11-2004   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

well there's another coaster :-x

that's 4 programs Ive used so far & none of them have come up with anything watchable ......

I specified NTSC, 720x480 and 29.97fps ......... guess what? More rolling on standalone dvd player .... yet the disc plays fine on pc .....

Anything else I'm missing? Apart from my sanity of course lol
Old 25-11-2004   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

lol ok

does it make a difference that I am making an NTSC dvd on a dvd+r I bought in this country? or is that irrelevant as long as i get all the fps/aspect ratio etc etc correct?

I just dont understand why the discs I burn play fine on my computer, but won't play properly on the standalone dvd player (which usually plays anything I throw at it) ....
Old 26-11-2004   #5
Retired Senior Moderator

Your problem is not the conversion, but your TV. Most DVD Players that can play PAL and NTSC tends to leave the NTSC at the 30 f/s and just adjust the picture size to PAL, unfortunatly if you TV cant handle a 30 f/s ( 60 cycles/sec) then the result is the scrolling your seeing.

Any decent avi to dvdr converting program should have an NTSC to PAL option, I'd suggest you use for your NTSC avi's in the future.

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote