Old 18-11-2009   #1

What is the preferred file extension for Blu Ray burning???

Hi there. Newbie here. I'd originally recorded hours of vacation videos on Canon's HF-S100. The original files are in HD 1920x1080, 24 MBS, and MTS format. After wrestling for months with editing and having the ultimate goal of putting the edited files onto Blu Ray, I am still confused with the format options offered by video editing software ( Cyberlink 8 ).

What is the " preferred " type of file should my edited and produced videos be in prior to Blu Ray burning, whether it is with Cyberlink ( burning program stinks ) or another burning program?

My options are MPEG-2 ( 1920 x 1080 ) ,M2TS ( 1920 x 1080 ), WMV, AVI, ETC. Which one should I choose and keep in case I would like to use that file again to burn on other program? In addition, I hope the same file can be ready to burn on standard DVD format too.

Thank you.

Thank you.
alexpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009   #2
Administrator

Re: What is the preferred file extension for Blu Ray burning???

M2TS would be the file format found in Blu Ray video. It will not work in standard dvd-video however, since the file type is incorrect and the resolution of your video is much too large for dvd-video. If you are in the US, you would need 720 x 480 resolution, 29.97fps and pcm or ac3 audio at 48khz when converting to dvd format.

You can convert m2ts files to standard dvd video using AVStoDVD. Mpeg2 as input would also work for this conversion. What you want to avoid is converting the video twice, so if your original files are m2ts, keep them that way prior to converting to dvd-video.

AVStoDVD is free to use, and found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

A commercial tool that has a more polished interface would be ConvertXtoDVD. This should work for your conversion, but of course, it isn't free.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote