Old 02-10-2009   #1
New on Forum

VAIO VGN-NS-295J Blu-ray player not recognizing blu-ray discs

About 3 months ago the Blu-ray player that came with the computer, InterVideo WinDVD BD for VAIO, quit working. Every time I would open it up I would get a "WinDVD MFC Application error". Not really wanting to deal with it I purchased CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra and the problem went away. About a month ago, after restarting my computer, I went to play a blu-ray and PowerDVD wasn't recognizing blu-ray discs. I was getting an Insert Disc message. In my infinite wisdom I decided to purchase Corel WinDVD 9 and I am getting the "WinDVD MFC Application error" message. I have the lastest updates on all three Blu-ray software programs and the firmware is updated as well. I read about a regedit that suggested deleting the LowerFilter and UpperFilter so I tried it. It worked for InterVideo WinDVD and PowerDVD (Coral WinDVD 9 to no avail). The Blu-ray discs played just fine. I restarted my computer a couple days later and again none of the programs played my blu-rays. PowerDVD and InterVideo WinDVD play regular DVDs and DVD-Rs just fine and the computer reads data discs without problem. Coral WinDVD 9 still gives me the "WinDVD MFC Application error" for ANY disc that is used. I recently tried ArcSoft TMT3 Platinum. Same issue...Plays everything but blu-ray.

I tried downloading and installing Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S v1.06 firmware. I got a message that said update failed. It is showing in properties that I have v1.77. I downloaded this version months ago from the Sony eSupport website. That update came out in May. I wanted to roll back to an earlier driver and that option is not available. It's as if v1.77 is the only driver I have ever had. I see that v1.06 came out last month but I can't do anything with it. My updater is telling me that v1.77 is the most current. When I browse my computer from update driver software-->Let me pick from a list on my computer, it is showing that the only drivers are:

CD-ROM drive
Roxio Cdr4
Roxio Cdral
Roxio PxHelp

In Device Manager when I go to Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S-->Properties-->Driver-->Driver Details, the Driver File details are:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys (this is for iTunes compatibility)
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\PxHlpa64.sys

I have removed all other Blu-ray playing software and the only one installed currently is the one that came with the system, InterVideo WinDVD BD for VAIO. It still plays regular DVDs, DVD-Rs and CDs. I have cleaned the lens as well.

I am in Iraq so I don't have a computer store available to take a look at it. I am semi-capable of following instructions so if ANYONE has any suggestions on how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate the help. I really am at wits end.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430
Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S
RAM: 4GB

Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart, but I'm street smart", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I'm imaginary smart".
Pink1971 is offline   Reply With Quote