Old 26-01-2012   #1
MyCE Rookie

Torn Between Bluray Burners

Just like the title says, I was all set to pull the trigger on a Bluray drive and then I read negative things about both. First up is the Asus 12B1ST. Was about to buy this unit until I read that there is no firmware updates available for this drive. I went to the Asus site and could not find out how to or update the firmware. Is this true about this drive? Can the Firmware be updated? Pros, cons? The next drive that I was literally 1 click away from ordering was the Liteon iHBS112-04. Saw that they had several Firmware updates that addressed a few issues but was disappointed to read that this particular drive as well as all Liteon Bluray drives will not rip Cinavia enable Bluray disks. Is this true? Anyone use this drive and had a successful rip with Cinavia enabled Bluray disk? I would greatly appreciate any insight on these two burners as well as any other recommendations. I will only be using 1 drive for read and write to mostly blank BD-r disks.
aust3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012   #2
MyCE Senior Member

I use an LG Super Multi Blue external Blu Ray drive and it's been 100% for me so far.
hogger129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012   #3
Administrator

Re: Torn Between Bluray Burners

Where did you read that the Lite-on won't rip Cinavia infected blu ray? It should be able to rip them fine, but nothing so far will remove Cinavia digital audio watermarks. So you just don't play back the ripped video on anything that honors the Cinavia drm.

At the moment, the one player that is most wide spread that honors Cinavia is the PS3.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Where did you read that the Lite-on won't rip Cinavia infected blu ray? It should be able to rip them fine, but nothing so far will remove Cinavia digital audio watermarks. So you just don't play back the ripped video on anything that honors the Cinavia drm.

At the moment, the one player that is most wide spread that honors Cinavia is the PS3.
What I understand is that it doesn't matter if the Blu-Ray has Cinavia or not, nor does it matter if you're playing it back on a Cinavia device - if said Blu-Ray disc was created using DVDFab.

When creating backups of Blu-Ray discs I own in the past, I've seen that it creates a protected Blu-Ray disc which disables the Cinavia stuff.
hogger129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012   #5
Administrator

DVDFab has one mode where they say they have something of a workaround to Cinavia. It is NOT a full removal or disabling of the protection. The disks produced are called BDMV-REC and not all players can handle them. See the bottom of this page: http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

You have to make a full backup, not a compressed one, or edited one. Edit: Oops, looks like they do have main movie backups in this mode.

A firmware update will probably be all that is needed to wipe out this solution from DVDFab.
Old 26-01-2012   #6
Administrator

By the way, was aust3333 referring to the Lite-on drive being unable to detect Cinavia, and thus not able to use the feature in DVDFab to disable Cinavia in the backup? If so, this is new information for me, and I need to keep up better.
Old 26-01-2012   #7
MyCE Rookie

Thanks for all the replys. From the thread that i read it states that the liteon drive will detect Cinavia but will not touch it after it is detected. Nobody ever confirmed or denied this claim but is a concern of mine. And yes, i will be using dvdfab.
Old 26-01-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

I wonder why the OP insists to divide the burners into good and bad only because of available firmware updates?!?
That is really false thinking, IMHO.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012   #9
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
I wonder why the OP insists to divide the burners into good and bad only because of available firmware updates?!?
That is really false thinking, IMHO.

Well firmware updates are important. The Asus is said to not be able to update fimware at all. Thats a big deal to me. Firmware updates often fixes many problems. And if its not available how affective will the burner be in the long run.
Old 27-01-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust3333 View Post
Well firmware updates are important. The Asus is said to not be able to update fimware at all. Thats a big deal to me. Firmware updates often fixes many problems. And if its not available how affective will the burner be in the long run.
Sorry, but I really doubt what you just said about the ASUS drive.
AFAIK, its a clone/rebadged drive. Besides, why shouldnt it be updatable?

Firmware updates can be important, but sometimes they are overhyped too much.
A new drive should already come with a usable firmware and its write strategies.
This includes all top notch media. If not, that drive should be avoided.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Old 27-01-2012   #11
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Sorry, but I really doubt what you just said about the ASUS drive.
AFAIK, its a clone/rebadged drive. Besides, why shouldnt it be updatable?

Firmware updates can be important, but sometimes they are overhyped too much.
A new drive should already come with a usable firmware and its write strategies.
This includes all top notch media. If not, that drive should be avoided.
That's what im here for. I just read about the firmware not being updatable on newegg for the asus drive. I was hopeing some could confirm these allegations on both drives. By no means was i implying that the asus not being updateable or the liteon issues with cinavia were gospel. I came here to see if these rumors were true about both drives. Anyone know for certain.
Old 27-01-2012   #12

The ASUS 12B1ST drive is a iHBS112. If manufactured before 7/11, it will be a 112-29 and crossflashable to a Lite-on with tools available on this site. After 7/11 it will be a 112-04, which these tools cannot yet crossflash.
Currently installed for testing: Lite-on DH20A4P-04(9P54) + Sony Optiarc AD-7200A(1.Z3) x2 "You want WHAT? OK, I can do that". + AD-7200S(1Z2) + AD-5280-CB-PLUS(1.Z7) + BenQ DW1650(BCIC) + BenQ DW1640(BSLB) x2 + Lite-on iHAS324-08 A(BL1H) + Asus DRW-24B1LT@iHAS424(ZLC1) + Asus DRW-24B1ST@iHAS324(BL1H) + Plextor PX-760A(1.03) + LG BD-RE WH10LS30(1.00) + Lite-on iHES208(8LOC) + Sammy SH-BO83L(SB01) + Pioneer BDR206(1.05) + Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) + Pioneer BDR-205(1.12) + LG WH12LS39(1.00) + Lite-on iHBS212@Plextor PX-LB950SA(1.02)
deanwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012   #13
MyCE Resident

Thanks dean.

Old 27-01-2012   #14
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwitty View Post
The ASUS 12B1ST drive is a iHBS112. If manufactured before 7/11, it will be a 112-29 and crossflashable to a Lite-on with tools available on this site. After 7/11 it will be a 112-04, which these tools cannot yet crossflash.
Thanks for the info. I think I will pass on the Asus drive because there is no way of me telling when it was manufactured before i order it. Also, while searching the DVD fab forums, it has been confirmed that Liteon drives dont seem to play nice with the protected blu-ray feature in DVD Fab to get past Cinavia protections on Blu-rays. Starting to look at the Pioneer 206DBKS now.
Old 27-01-2012   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust3333 View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will pass on the Asus drive because there is no way of me telling when it was manufactured before i order it. Also, while searching the DVD fab forums, it has been confirmed that Liteon drives dont seem to play nice with the protected blu-ray feature in DVD Fab to get past Cinavia protections on Blu-rays. Starting to look at the Pioneer 206DBKS now.
What does the S stands for?

I know that it is the D (degraded) version with a black bezel (BK).

What does S mean in this case?

Old 28-01-2012   #16
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
What does the S stands for?

I know that it is the D (degraded) version with a black bezel (BK).

What does S mean in this case?

Dont know. I copied and pasted it off the newegg site.