Old 27-12-2009   #1

Pansonic Lumix DMC ZS3 download of Videos to Computer

Hi: Just bought a Pansonic Camera that records Video clips in AVCHD - which NONE of my programms in my PC (5 year old HP) can download, or read. And I hate the program that comes with the Panasonic, which I would have to upgrade and pay for it anyway, since the disc is the "Lite"Version, meaning it only plays 2 frames per second, which are not displaying the movie right.
Any suggestion? I tried the free trial of Adobe Deluxe Elements, but found out that my computer does not support this. Any other suggestions? My download programs do not display or download, or even register any videos, just the jpeg pictures. I love the camera, but if it is a headache to download and play, then it may have to get returned. I guess buying a new PC would help, which would make this an expensive little camera... Someone said to try the "Any Video Converter" - has anyone tried this and found it can get the AVCHD video clips off my camera and read it, so I can watch on my computer?
Thank you so much for any help and/or reply!
Monika
MonikaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Pansonic Lumix DMC ZS3 download of Videos to Computer

Please provide some computer specs: processor/speed, ram, video card, usb or firewire ports, operating system, etc. Don't worry about doing any video conversion yet, you have to get the video on your PC first.

"free trial of Adobe Deluxe Elements, but found out that my computer does not support this.." Do you get an error message or?

I found this in a review of your camers:

"That brings us to the touchy subject of video editing. On most digital cameras, you can just double-click on the AVI or MOV file and it would open up in Windows Media or QuickTime Player. That's not the case on the ZS3, at least if you're using the AVCHD Lite codec. The camera creates a fairly complex file structure on your memory card, and even if you do find the video file, there's not much you can do with it.

For viewing and editing the movie (at least in Windows), you'll want to use PhotoFunStudio. You can view the movies, remove unwanted footage (see screenshot above), and burn them to a DVD or Blu-ray disc. This software does not allow you to convert videos to more common formats like AVI or QuickTime. For that, you'll need a more serious video editor, like Adobe Premiere.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009   #3

Hi: Processor is AMD Athlon XP 2800+, (Memory card in Camera the regular SunDisc 2GB cards),
512MB DDR-DRAM Memory, 80GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive and 9- in- 1 Memory Card Reader and HP Image Zone Photography Software.

I do not get an error message when I wanted to download Adobe Premier Element - it just says that my computer needs an SSEZ instructiion set to be able to download, which I researched with HP and that can not be upgraded.

So my problems still is that I can not even see the movies with any of my programs, other than through PhotoFunStudio. And I had such a difficult time to even get around that program and find my way around that, that for now I do not even want to deal with it, unless that is the ONLY option. And I would have to pay for the upgrade anyway to see the movies, since their version is the Lite Version, which only shows 2 frames per second. Don't want to pay for an upgrade unless I am sure that that is the program I want to use, and at this point, even if I get them on my computer with their program, I can not view the movies....

Hope my answer to your question helps.
And thank you so much for a reply!
Old 28-12-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

Since your camera uses AVCHD Lite codec, which is pretty obscure and unused as of yet except with your camera, you could choose the mpg format instead. This will certainly give you more options for editing software. Given the specs of your PC, don't expect any editing software to run smoothly, you just don't have the horsepower, especially not for editing HD video. So, if you really want to start editing your videos, use the mpeg format instead, at least you will be able to transfer them to your PC using the card reader probably using drag and drop (copy). If you want to use the Adobe software, you will definetly need a newer computer.
Old 29-12-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

I just bought ZS3 and only shot 30 sec. or so of video so I haven't tried to download it to the PC yet since the video was just a test. However, I just bought mini-hdmi to hdmi cable from monoprice, hooked it up to the camera and my Sony tv and played the video like that without conversion and it looked very good. Until you upgrade your computer this should satisfy you. Unfortunately, your puter is not up to the task for HD conversion, but you might find a free converter at videohelp.com to convert to a dvd compatible format. Do a search, they have hundreds of tools and people are very helpful there.
ricoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009   #6

Hi: Unfortunately I can NOT change or use an mpeg file, that is the whole problem; camera ONLY records movies in AVCHD Lite, and you can not change that in the camera set up either. And again, my computer can not read those. I have no problem hooking up to my HD TV, and the movies play very nice. But , once I erase them on the sim card, they are gone, and I can no longer view them or get them from anywhere, since they never uploaded on the computer in the first place. Anyway, pretty frustrating, since I do like the quality and functions of the camera. I might just return it and get one that records in a more regular mode; I did have a Canon, their latest with also HD movie reocrding, and 10x zoom, but the quality was just not even close to the Panasonic or even my 2 year old Canon, which I still have - so I returned it.

Any other suggestions? Not too big a camera, but with a good zoom, capable of HD movie recording, not AVCHD, but regular movie format, so I can download to my PC but also watch them in HD on my TV?????
Thanks!!
Old 29-12-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

Sorry, it's just that all the reviews I've read about this camera say you can choose the motion jpeg codec from the camera's movie setup menu. What does your manual say?
Old 30-12-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

There are dozens of converters on Videohelp.com, I'm sure you could find something that can help you there. But meanwhile, SDHC cards are fairly cheap these days. Buy a couple of extras to save your best videos on and you can always play them on your TV until you settle on and get some practice with a converter. Go to Newegg or Meritline there are always sales going on.
Old 07-02-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonikaMc View Post
Hi: Unfortunately I can NOT change or use an mpeg file,
I have this camera and you can change to MPEG4 mode which records the file in MOV on the card. The MOV will show up right in your picture folder. Go to regular A more, not iA, and under recording change the type to MPEG.

Then get this program (free):
nchsoftware.com/videopad/<wbr>index.html to clip the video and convert to AVI. It is not quite as robust as movie maker or other (for cost) products, but it does the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by65tcN4k08 (720p MOV - 155MB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50gUyNzLCg (720p AVI - 19MB)

Ever so slight loss in color. But for uploading to the net, 19MB as compared to 155MB is worth the slight difference.
BHShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010   #10

Quote:
Any other suggestions? Not too big a camera, but with a good zoom, capable of HD movie recording, not AVCHD, but regular movie format, so I can download to my PC but also watch them in HD on my TV?????
Thanks!!
This is probably way too late but.....
You can "acquire"(save) and view the videos with the software on the CD/DVD that comes with the camera on your PC (assuming you have installed that). It's PhotofunStudio HD Edition.

And as someone said you can change the recording mode on the camara either AVCHD Lite or Motion JPEG. But that won't change the mode of already recorded vids.

I just used the program to acquire some footage my wife took in AVCHD Lite mode and it placed four files for each vid in a folder.

One each of;
.cont
.iis
.m2ts
.tmb

The software seems to have some features to load directly to youtube and write to dvd but I have yet to try those features. Because I don't care about that.

I would like to edit the vids before posting them or whatever. The software edit functions seem to be lacking to say the least. Can someone help me with that?

Should I read the thread again
Pakmanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010   #11

I just use a card reader and pull them off the camera that way. Then delete them off the card using the camera so you don't get the blank indexing from the camera. Since my last post, I picked up a cheap Win7 machine. Win7 Movie Maker will edit the AVCHD Lite vids perfectly as well.
BHShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010   #12

Thanks BHShaman! I use a usb card reader for transferring files too. It's so much easier than hooking up the device and acquiring the files that way. I did find and transfer the .mts files but just didn't have the codecs to read the files. I have Vista and movie maker works after installing the k-lite codecs. It's perfect for me and what I want to do. Thanks for the tip on deleting the clips too!
Pakmanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #13

I've been reading this thread with interest. I just upgraded an earlier Lumix to the ZS3. I love the zoom, size, movie features but like others in this thread am disappointed so far with playing back the movies. OK, I have the PhotoFunStudio HD loaded and have acquired the videos. I figured out how to edit, clip, etc. Am I seeing correctly that if I shot the video with AVCHD, it will only play back on my computer with a few frames per second... thus showing a very un-smooth video? What can I do to get the video to play back smoothly? I haven't tried to burn to a dvd. I can't even see enough of the video to edit it properly. Sure I can film in jpeg instead, but that defeats the quality purposes of the AVCHD. What are my options?

P.S. My PhotoFunStudio HD is version 3.00 L145 (NTSC)

Last edited by peac2u2; 10-04-2010 at 21:31. Reason: adding version used of PhotoFunStudio
peac2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakmanis View Post
...AVCHD Lite mode and it placed four files for each vid in a folder.

One each of;
.cont
.iis
.m2ts
.tmb
The documentation for PHOTOfunStudio says not to delete or rename these files. Can anyone explain what they are for? Are they created by PHOTOfunStudio and only needed by it and if all the files' names are changed to the same thing, is there still a problem?
niborjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #15

Quote:
Hi: Just bought a Pansonic Camera that records Video clips in AVCHD - which NONE of my programms in my PC (5 year old HP) can download, or read. And I hate the program that comes with the Panasonic, which I would have to upgrade and pay for it anyway, since the disc is the "Lite"Version, meaning it only plays 2 frames per second, which are not displaying the movie right.
Any suggestion? I tried the free trial of Adobe Deluxe Elements, but found out that my computer does not support this. Any other suggestions? My download programs do not display or download, or even register any videos, just the jpeg pictures. I love the camera, but if it is a headache to download and play, then it may have to get returned. I guess buying a new PC would help, which would make this an expensive little camera... Someone said to try the "Any Video Converter" - has anyone tried this and found it can get the AVCHD video clips off my camera and read it, so I can watch on my computer?
Thank you so much for any help and/or reply!
Monika
Hi Monica
You can bring the content from the memoriecard of your camera to your pc without interference from any programs you have on your pc.
If windows ask you what program to use, don`t, usual a list is shown but also the possibility to open in a directory of your own choice.
Do this,make two directories : 1you name, Panasonic photos and 2 you name,Panasonic films.
You can also go to my computer and find the drive that is used
by your memoriecard reader.
It looks like this three directories 1 DCIM doubleclick=> PANA=>jpeg photo
2.MISC=>empty
3 PRIVATE=>AVCHD=>BDMV=>STREAM=>mts film.
So now you can copy the jpeg and mts files into the directories you made.
MTS files can be watched with VCL-player:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
I did it this way although i have not jet figured out how to burn a DVD with mts-files that i can watch on my tv.
geen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #16
MyCE Resident

For anyone still looking at this thread, try MultiAVCHD. It's free and works pretty well.