Old 29-12-2004   #1
New on Forum

Need help with 16x dvdrw - light stays on

I believe, from what I have read on here, that I have a BTC drive. It is an I/O Magic 16x drive labeled IDVD16DD and came with the firmware: A071.

I tried to run liveupdate (a card in the box said to, as well as a sticker on the drive itself). It appeared like it worked: found my drive, I clicked update, it did its thing and said close and reboot. Upon rebooting, the light on the drive stays on continuously and my ide controller doesn't recognize it...so obviously windows doesn't either.

I thought I might have had a bad flash, so I followed the instructions at:

http://www.drvupdate.com/User_Guide-...ure%20Recovery

and when I get into dos (have to use ntfsdos) and run f.bat, it starts the mtk180 program and just sits there. It does nothing. I let it sit for an hour just to make sure.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!
VetteVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004   #2
MediaCodeSpeedEdit Author

Re: Need help with 16x dvdrw - light stays on

How is your drive connected ? Primary/secondary IDE bus, Master/Slave ?
Old 29-12-2004   #3
New on Forum

It is the only drive on that IDE port. The drive is set for master. I moved the IDE cable and power from a working drive to this one to remove as many variables as I could.
Old 30-12-2004   #4

Which port, primary or secondary ?
Old 30-12-2004   #5
New on Forum

Maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly. I have 4 IDE ports in my system. The standard two which are running two hard drives (I have only one drive on each IDE port). The other two are an onboard promise controller, to which I have a DVD drive and the BTC dvdrw. I'm not sure which port you want to know. I have removed the old DVD drive, and tried switching IDE ports with it, and the same thing happens. I am using an 80 pin (overkill I know) ribbon cable, connecting to then ends of the cable.

Just to make sure I was clear in my initial post, the drive worked until I flashed it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 30-12-2004   #6

The f.bat batch file only supports drives on the secondary controller. If you call it without a parameter it expects the burner as master (calling mtk180 3 w /c /m16 all.hex), if you call it with the parameter 4 (calling mtk180 4 w /c /m16 all.hex), it expects the burner as slave. So the easiest way would be to reconnect your burner during the flash.
You could also try to call mtk180 5 w /c /m16 all.hex, #5 could be the master on your promise controller.
Old 31-12-2004   #7
New on Forum

Thank you. I moved my dvdrw to the secondary ide port on the mainboard (off of the promise controller), and was able to access it. It still won't flash because it says it cannot find the files. I can see the files on my disk, so it must be an ntfs issue? I've read on here about bootable cd's with all of the files on it...I may give that a try.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala42
The f.bat batch file only supports drives on the secondary controller. If you call it without a parameter it expects the burner as master (calling mtk180 3 w /c /m16 all.hex), if you call it with the parameter 4 (calling mtk180 4 w /c /m16 all.hex), it expects the burner as slave. So the easiest way would be to reconnect your burner during the flash.
You could also try to call mtk180 5 w /c /m16 all.hex, #5 could be the master on your promise controller.
Old 31-12-2004   #8
Retired Editor, Reviewer & Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVert
Thank you. I moved my dvdrw to the secondary ide port on the mainboard (off of the promise controller), and was able to access it. It still won't flash because it says it cannot find the files. I can see the files on my disk, so it must be an ntfs issue? I've read on here about bootable cd's with all of the files on it...I may give that a try.

Thanks for your help!
Hi,

the first question is: Is your drive recognised when you boot your PC (can you see it on the DOS boot screen)? If yes then make sure that you have MTKFlash version 1.80 and that the FW file is in the same folder on your HD where MTKFlash is.
You can find the fw.hex file in your windows temp directory, in a folder which is called like C:\WINDOWS\Temp\PAC5.tmp.DIR.
Then boot in real DOS, you can find a DOS 6.22 Bootdisk here if have a NTFS system you also need NTFSDOS. Create the floppy and copy NTFSDOS.EXE on a second floppy.

reboot, run NTFSDOS, move to the firmware folder on your HD and flash using the command MTK180 3 W /M A07M.HEX when the drive is sec. master.
Old 03-01-2005   #9
New on Forum

My problem was that even after using NTFSDOS, I could not read the files on my hard drive. I could get a directory listing of them, but could not read them (edit wouldn't even read a batch file). I finally got around it by making a bootable CD with A07M.HEX on it (THANKS! for telling me where it is). I unplugged all of my hard drives and booted to a dvd drive on the primary IDE port, with my dvdrw on the secondary. That did it.

Thanks again for all of your help. This is definitely a friendly and helpful community
Old 08-04-2005   #10
New on Forum

wow... so lost... I have tried all the methods posted previous to this one.... when in dos and accessing MTK180 I get an exe file error... when I try to use the command C:\FW> 4... I don't see anything except the dos prompt again "D:\FW>". My drive is the master on sec ide. I can not see the drive during boot on the dos screen... major bummer... just bought this drive today... upgraded firmware... and poof... large paper weight.
BTW.. my log from liveupdate just says:
[04/07/05 17:50:43] Updating drive Model DVDRW-IDE 16X from Ver. A079 to Ver. A082.
[04/07/05 17:53:43] Updating drive Model DVDRW-IDE 16X from Ver. A079 to Ver. A082.
I can't tell which file I should be getting from drvupdate
phrekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010   #11

I strongly recommend not upgrading firmware unless you have a problem.

I had a motherboard that was having issues with it's IDE ports and not recognizing them. I flashed the bios to the latest version and the problem went away. I think if it had already been the latest version, I wouldn't have been able to salvage the MB.

dots
freak3dot is offline   Reply With Quote