Old 22-11-2005   #1
New on Forum

MSI DVD writer problem

Hi!
I have a MSI DVD writer, and the problem i have is that when i want to burn a DVD the computer crashes. I use Nero, and when starts cacheing the files then crashes.
This problem does not happen when writing CD-s.
I observed that the Bios recognises the DVD writer as IDE 33 only - could this be the problem?
njessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005   #2
jbv
MyCE Resident

Re: MSI DVD writer problem

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum.

Nothing to do with IDE 33.

Probably related to unsupported media. Use DVDIdentifier to retreive mediacode.

What burner do you have, and what firmware do it use.
jbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005   #3
MediaCodeSpeedEdit Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbv
Probably related to unsupported media.
Not really. Bad media does not lead to crashes.
Post the text output of Nero Infotool as text file attachment using the Manage Attatchments button so we can have a look at your config.
Old 25-11-2005   #4
New on Forum

it's not the media. I tried the DVD writer on other computers ant worked well.
I upgraded the firmware - the newest on MSI's site
(the DVD-writer is a MSI DR16-B2)
- i tried changing IDE cable/
my computer is totally new : AMD 64 3000+/ Gigabyte KT8N VT800 rev2/ 512/ Maxtor S-ATA
Old 25-11-2005   #5
jbv
MyCE Resident

Have you installed any Via IDE drivers.

Use Microsoft native IDE drivers.

Are this your board .
Old 29-11-2005   #6
New on Forum

Yes. That is my mainboard. I installed the drivers from mb-s CD. I tried the latest ASPI drivers, i downloaded the newest mb-driver from Gigabyta.
All for nothing.
The same problem/
Could be the nero ? I'll try another burning software.
Old 29-11-2005   #7
jbv
MyCE Resident

Uninstall Via ide drivers.

It's probably Via bus master driver that cause the problem.
Old 29-11-2005   #8
New on Forum

so - if i uninstall via ide drivers windows will use it's own native drivers ?
if this will work - i'll be glad
thanks
Old 29-11-2005   #9
MediaCodeSpeedEdit Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by njessy
so - if i uninstall via ide drivers windows will use it's own native drivers ?
Yes, it will.
Old 30-11-2005   #10
New on Forum

Thank you for the solution!!!!
Is's working great!
Old 14-09-2011   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbv View Post

Uninstall Via ide drivers.

It's probably Via bus master driver that cause the problem.
I am having the same trouble but not sure how to uninstall the VIA bus master driver without it wanting to restart my pc and reinstall it. Am I going about this the wrong way?
bopster74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011   #12
MyCE Resident

Here are some suggestions:
Pick update driver (from the device manager
entry), then install from specific location, then don't search and the MS
drivers appeared in a list with the VIA drivers.

I read to search for & delete the VIA drivers . I wouldn't delete them to start with just move them to their own folder in case you ever need them. Just don't give Device Manager the location.

In Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers You should have
" Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller " when the native MS drivers are installed .
This should be the Driver Details list:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys

In Device Manager/System devices/PCI bus Driver Details
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
Attached Images

Old 14-09-2011   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
Here are some suggestions:
Pick update driver (from the device manager
entry), then install from specific location, then don't search and the MS
drivers appeared in a list with the VIA drivers.

I read to search for & delete the VIA drivers . I wouldn't delete them to start with just move them to their own folder in case you ever need them. Just don't give Device Manager the location.

In Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers You should have
" Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller " when the native MS drivers are installed .
This should be the Driver Details list:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys

In Device Manager/System devices/PCI bus Driver Details
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
When I do your first suggestion and update driver there are no MS or VIA drivers in the list. The first image is what I get. I have tried to uninstall and remove the VIA controller & it requires me to reboot then adds them again, so that is not the answer. As far as the dvd driver info that is the second picture, which shows a bunch of stuff. The third pic shows what is listed in my IDE controlers list in Device Manager.

Let me add, I have no installed any new software to cause this it just stopped. When I burn anything it will not go any further then 6% then it stalls. I have tried different blank DVD's & CD's to no avail.

Ironically my warranty on this burner expired August 2011. That is my luck. Thanks for your help and I am open to other suggestions
Attached Images

Old 14-09-2011   #14
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!

from your screenshot, it is more likely that this GearAspi.. and the PCHelp driver are the culprit.

As for the VIA drivers, install latest Hyperion driver package.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011   #15

So how do I get rid of them?
Old 15-09-2011   #16
MyCE Resident

I'm going to agree with mciahel both the GearASPIWDM.sys & PXHelp20.sys are known to cause trouble. Uninstall if you can & if not remove them from your System32 folder.
Don't delete them in case removing them causes some problem ,Just create a TEMP folder to put them in. Try te above first.
If that doesn't solve the problem.
The driver file details in your picture is for your DVD drive. Those are not your IDE controller drivers. The ones in the list I posted are.
What you want to end up with is only the " Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller "
You can check the one in your device manager to see if the driver files are the same as in the list.
Look at the driver details for your VIA Bus Master IDE Controller . Write the file names in Notepad so you have the list . Then uninstall the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller from Device Manager . Don't reboot yet. You can do a search to find the files in the list you saved. I think they will be here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers copy & cut them & them paste them in the TEMP folder. If they are still there.
Now select Properties of the " Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller " then Driver. Update Driver.
Select : Browse my computer for driver software
Locate and install driver software manually.

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
This list will show installed driver software compatible with the device, and all
driver software in the same category as the device.
If " Show compatible hardware" is checked it should only show the " Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller "if unchecked it will show several including VIA.
Then select "Next".
It should show a sucessful install.
Now reboot. Hopefully the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller will be gone.
Old 15-09-2011   #17

Ok go figure! I did some research on the 2 files you said looked odd. GearASPI I went to their website & updated it. PXHelp was linked with winamp. Uninstalled winamp everything works! Actually better then I ever remember lol
Old 15-09-2011   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopster74 View Post
Ok go figure! I did some research on the 2 files you said looked odd. GearASPI I went to their website & updated it. PXHelp was linked with winamp. Uninstalled winamp everything works! Actually better then I ever remember lol
Nevermind! I'm still getting errors. Something about Sector 16 and the power and bus error again. Will try the above when I get home from work tonight. If not I WILL be buying a new one tomorrow
Old 15-09-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

@ bopster74 ,

Before you try a new drive which I think will still have the same problems .

Try these suggestions before attempting to remove the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller which may not be causing you problems.

With WinAmp you probably installed the Sonic burning engine. I didn't & I don't have any Sonic on my system. That is where the PXHelp20.sys comes from.
An uninstall of WinAmp doesn't remove all of Sonic . Here is some information & a method for removal:
Sonic Ripping/Burning Support (bundled 3rd-party engine) - Filenames: pxsdkpls.dll (pre-5.22 and 5.61+) | primosdk.dll (5.22-5.6) | burnlib.dll (Winamp dir) | px.dll | pxdrv.dll | pxmas.dll | pxwave.dll | pxwma.dll | pxcpya64.exe | pxcpyi64.exe | pxhpinst.exe | pxinsa64.exe | pxinsi64.exe | vxblock.dll (%system% dir) | pxhelp20.sys | cdralw2k.sys | cdr4_2k.sys (Win2k) | cdr4_xp.sys (WinXP) | pxhelper.vxd (Win98SE/ME, pre 5.5 only) | pxhelper.sys (WinNT4) (%system%\drivers dir). Adds support for Burning Audio CD's

(at 4x speed with Winamp Full, at unlimited speed with Winamp Pro). Requires a reboot on first install for the Sonic Engine to be properly registered. Not recommended to install under Win9x (pre-5.5 only). Note: You can still use the CD Ripper if you uncheck this feature and ASPI is installed (Win9x-only, pre 5.5 only) | Info | ASPI is not required under Win2k/XP, and if Sonic is not installed, Winamp will attempt to use the native SPTI engine instead (though if ASPI is erroneously present, eg. if it's been installed by some other app such as Nero or Adaptec, then ASPI will take precedence over SPTI).
Uninstalling Sonic
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=234383
I have WimAmp installed & it causes no problems I have ever found . I had researched WinAmp before I installed it & knew to not install the Sonic burning engine with it.

Next depending on your OS you don't really need an ASPI layer .That being said I do have ASPI on my Vista OS. Many programs will use the Nero WNASPI32.DLL if it is installed in their Program Files folder. Sometimes you may need to find the specific folder it needs to be in . A Google will usually find the correct location.
If that doesn't work you can try ForceASPI . Which I have also.
This is for removing the Gear drivers :
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/ind...ersions%2C_etc
Old 16-09-2011   #20

Well... I have burned 3 movies successfully I was also able to burn a few audio cd's. I believe I am fixed

Thank you everybody for all of your suggestions and I am hoping this never happens again because that was not fun!
Old 16-09-2011   #21
MyCE Resident

Glad you got it sorted . It seems to be the Sonic software that caused the conflict. Just to satisfy my curiosity . Did you remove all of it with the method in the link I posted ?
Old 17-09-2011   #22

Yes. I also did the gear one but had to reinstall that. Should have checked it before hand. Nero & Nortons both yelled at me about missing gearaspiwdm or whatever the name is.
Old 17-09-2011   #23
MyCE Resident

If it's all working then it might be best to leave well enough alone.
The Gear software must have installed deep in your OS & apparently doesn't uninstall well at all. I've never had the Gear drivers & software so I've never had to manually remove all of it. Since it is not a Windows software it should not be necessary for your OS to run.
Further NERO should be using it's WNASPI32.DLL , Even other software can use it. That's why you see some instructions for copy & pasting this file into other softwares Program Folder. Apparently Gear replaced this with the gearaspiwdm . So Nero still may not work as it should.
From some research it seems Norton Ghost installs the GearASPIWDM.sys & needs it.
The update you did is probably the one that is supposed to fix problems with this driver.
I also found if you have iTunes installed & uninstall iTunes it removes the GearASPIWDM.sys driver but only it & causes problems.
I use Acronis for my backup software glad I chose it .
Old 21-09-2011   #24

My MSI DH-22AP DVD Burner Stopped Burning

Ok. I've been on here before with this issue and it is really starting to tick me off. All hands on deck for this one please

I'm going to start from the beginning and we can go from there.

About 3 months ago my mb went & I had to replace it. My burner worked GREAT BEFORE and now when I try to fix it it works for a few burns then stops. I attached a txt of what Norton's told me and I followed their instructions. I have also attached the infotool from Nero to see if anybody can translate.

I have gonna through removing everything but the basics and starting over with software and still no help. I have been told buying a new burner will not solve the issue since it is a software issue.

If you have any questions as to what I have software wise please feel free to ask. I do have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed, Office 2010, Winamp & Nero 7.

Let's see if we can fix this permanently
Attached Files
File Type: txt New Text Document.txt (206 Bytes, 40 views)
File Type: txt InfoTool.txt (42.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 21-09-2011   #25

I posted a new discussion today regarding this everlasting problem so that the thread can be further researched. I would appreciate everybody's feedback and am greatful for all you have already done to try & solve this issue, which is still not solved!