Old 04-01-2009   #1
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Hello everyone
Can you guide me to find a new firmware for MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ???
Any help will be appreciated.
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #2
MyCE Resident
 
_chef_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: @FX labs .de ...playing LLAMATRON :-]
Posts: 31,135
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

You have to ask the OEM.
__________________
Enable DMA with micrAp$0ft Enable DMA free at your will busTRACE => Upper/Lower Filters Util
DevCon
***HOW TO ... Delete the Upper & Lower Filters!***

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #3
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
You have to ask the OEM.
HUH??
please explain more
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #4
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

the weird thing that it works just fine with DVD's, but it identifies any CD-R or CD-RW as a blank disk...
Any suggestions?
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #5
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
the weird thing that it works just fine with DVD's, but it identifies any CD-R or CD-RW as a blank disk...
Any suggestions?
Change or RMA your drive (if it is still possible). Unfortunately all Matsushita's slim-type drives are extremely unreliable.
What fw version do you use now? 1.05 is the latest released version and I doubt that Panasonic will release any newer version at all.
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #6
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
Change or RMA your drive (if it is still possible). Unfortunately all Matsushita's slim-type drives are extremely unreliable.
What fw version do you use now? 1.05 is the latest released version and I doubt that Panasonic will release any newer version at all.
thanks for the tip, but I'm totally clueless here
how can I know the firmware version? and where can I find the correct firmware? and what is RMA that you mentioned?
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #7
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
thanks for the tip, but I'm totally clueless here
how can I know the firmware version? and where can I find the correct firmware? and what is RMA that you mentioned?
Hi kanawati,
you can check your firmware version in Nero DiscSpeed. But I think you already have the newest fw (1.05) and your problems with CD recognition are caused by your drive's hardware failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_..._authorization
Attached Images
 
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #8
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
Hi kanawati,
you can check your firmware version in Nero DiscSpeed. But I think you already have the newest fw (1.05) and your problems with CD recognition are caused by your drive's hardware failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_..._authorization
OK, Sir.
I did as you said and the firmware is 1.21, and did some other tests on CD's and there's always a "power calibration error".
is it the time to be replaced ( i had it 7-8 mothes ago)? or you have another solution?
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #9
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
OK, Sir.
I did as you said and the firmware is 1.21, and did some other tests on CD's and there's always a "power calibration error".
is it the time to be replaced ( i had it 7-8 mothes ago)? or you have another solution?
If you purchased your laptop just 7-8 months ago you should be able to RMA it to where you purchased it from. "Power calibration errors" are mostly caused by hardware failures and your vendor should accept your RMA and replace your drive (ask for any Optiarc, LG or Pionner slim-type DVDRW drive, if possible )
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #10
MyCE Member
 
Lithium466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 244
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

If he asks for Optiarc, he risks receiving an AD-7530A or 7560A, that are QSI rebadged drives, even worse than Matshita (whch are quite smooth and silent compared to QSI)...
Lithium466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #11
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
If he asks for Optiarc, he risks receiving an AD-7530A or 7560A, that are QSI rebadged drives, even worse than Matshita (whch are quite smooth and silent compared to QSI)...
That is good to know. Thanks for the info. Which models of Optiarc's slim-type drives are made by Optiarc itself?
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #12
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
If you purchased your laptop just 7-8 months ago you should be able to RMA it to where you purchased it from. "Power calibration errors" are mostly caused by hardware failures and your vendor should accept your RMA and replace your drive (ask for any Optiarc, LG or Pionner slim-type DVDRW drive, if possible )
Thank you all for your replies, but I had this laptop since 18 months. But I replaced the DVD drive 7-8 months ago.
Thank you again for your help... I really appreciate it
PS:
I posted another thread about DVD player's firmware, please take a look, and let me know, ok?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/car-2di...editor-261104/
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #13
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
Thank you all for your replies, but I had this laptop since 18 months. But I replaced the DVD drive 7-8 months ago.
Thank you again for your help... I really appreciate it
PS:
You're welcome. Is your drive still in warranty period? If yes, try to RMA it, otherwise you have to replace it with a new drive (preferably LG, Pioneer or Optiarc/NEC) or to buy an external drive (like this one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
I posted another thread about DVD player's firmware, please take a look, and let me know, ok?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/car-2di...editor-261104/
I am sorry but I cannot help you on this subject. Perhaps their manufacturer (not seller) could help you - try to contact them.
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009   #14
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Hey guys
I bought the TSST drive
what do you think of it?
Attached Images
 
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #15
Moderator
 
pepst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 5,783
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanawati View Post
Hey guys
I bought the TSST drive
what do you think of it?
I do not have good experiences with TSST slim drives, hopefully you will be more lucky. Can you read and burn DVD and CD media with no problems now?
__________________
Prince Princo Pepst the First
http://www.last.fm/user/pepst/
I am looking for rare and old 1-4x media (MIDs: VIVASTAR, OMP 4KG001, REC001, AUVISTAR M01, SHT001, VDSPMSAB 004-001, POSGxx, VANGUARD, OCTOPLUS, 3AM0201, SMMR01, Yi Jhan 001, SKYMEDIA R01, Prodisc's and CMC Magnetics' DVD-RAMs, Beall's and Prodisc's 4,85 GB DVDs, any Authoring DVD-Rs, any 63 min and old CD-Rs ) and any "Made in Europe" DVDRs. Send me a PM if you could help me.[
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
pepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #16
MyCE Member
 
Lithium466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 244
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
That is good to know. Thanks for the info. Which models of Optiarc's slim-type drives are made by Optiarc itself?
The real Opriarc sold currently are AD-7590/7593 A or S (labellflash or not, sata or ide), AD-5590A (ide) and AD-7630A/7633A (slot-in ide) (12,7mm in height), and AD-7910/13A, 9,5mm in height.
Look at the following links for blue-ray or combo models

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/produc...rives/ad-7590a
http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/en/exhibi...rives/ad-5590a


I've got a TSST SN-S083A (sata version of kanawati's ?), quite a good performer, read and write well all medias I tried.
__________________
- BenQ DW1620 & DW1650
- Lite-on SHM-165P6S & iHAS424 @PX-880SA
- Optiarc AD-7590A, AD-7240S & AD-7241S
Lithium466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #17
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepst View Post
I do not have good experiences with TSST slim drives, hopefully you will be more lucky. Can you read and burn DVD and CD media with no problems now?
Well... It can read & write CD \ CD-R \ CD-RW \ DVD-R \ DVD-RW quite well. But I have to say it's a little bit noisy (comparing to the old one). The only thing that I really do hope that it last more than the matshita (I got 1 year warranty this time).
BTW: isn't TSST = samsung?
kanawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #18
MyCE Member
 
Lithium466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 244
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

TSST is Toshiba Samsung storage technology corporation
Mine is a little bit noisy too, especially when inserting a disc.
__________________
- BenQ DW1620 & DW1650
- Lite-on SHM-165P6S & iHAS424 @PX-880SA
- Optiarc AD-7590A, AD-7240S & AD-7241S
Lithium466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #19
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hoogland
Posts: 1
I own a Sony VGN-FE31H notebook which has UJ-850S drive.
The firmware was v1.20. Yesterday the drive suddenly was unable to write CD-RW disks.
I solved this by upgrading the firmware to v1.61
The firmware binary is called EP0000144835.exe and I found it at http://www.sony.co.th/support/downlo...ite=hp_en_TH_i
It is a firmware update for the UJ-850U, but it also updates UJ-850S drives.
If the link is no longer active: just google for: EP0000144835.html
pvdsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #20
MyCE Member
 
Lithium466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 244
Re: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

You are lucky
The .exe doesn't work on my UJ-850S (from a hp laptop)
__________________
- BenQ DW1620 & DW1650
- Lite-on SHM-165P6S & iHAS424 @PX-880SA
- Optiarc AD-7590A, AD-7240S & AD-7241S
Lithium466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #21
Senior Moderator
 
mciahel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 17,090
Re: EVER here of a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S?

@pvdsar:
One post is enough
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EVER here of a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S? psycopanther CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 21 16-12-2010 22:46
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S 4kusnik CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 17 14-10-2008 22:57
Frontpage Question: Burning DVD9 using Matshita DVD RAM UJ-850S adivi23 CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 1 20-08-2008 10:49
Matshita dvd-ram uj-850s booktype thesmyster CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 5 23-12-2007 15:45
MATSHITA DVD-RAM-UJ-850S ATA Device outkast23 Newbie Forum 3 08-08-2007 13:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:59.
Top