Old 05-10-2006   #1
New on Forum

Loading a DOS based driver for Dell laptop CD Drive

Ok to make a long story short, does anyone know how to get the CD-Rom drive to work on a Dell laptop computer when you boot to command prompt?

In the old systems for windows 98 I used to boot to command prompt and run msdex.exe (I think) with certain switches, and that would work fine in getting the CD rom to work in dos, but now I am running windows XP, whose dos/command environment (if you can call it that) is different. So I am looking for a dos based CD-Rom driver for a dell 9300 laptop. Can this be done?

I think I can boot into the command prompt in the beggining (with F5 key at boot), but I can't use a boot disk to get into the command prompt since my bios is protected (by me who lost the damn password years ago) and only boots to the hard drives (ie. no booting from CD or floppy drives is available).
Warshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Loading a DOS based driver for Dell laptop CD Drive

You hit F8 and boot into xp with cd-rom support.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warshed
Ok to make a long story short, does anyone know how to get the CD-Rom drive to work on a Dell laptop computer when you boot to command prompt?
How exactly do you boot to "command prompt"?
There are basically two ways to do that.
The first one is "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" - no problem accessing the CD-ROM drive at all. Just type "D:" or whatever your drive letter is.
The second one is the Recovery Console, this has to be installed separately. Here, access to the system is restricted to the Windows directory. If you need access to additional drives or directories, then you'll have to apply some group policies (XP Pro) or edit some registry entries. For further information, please check MS Knowledge base for articles concerning "Recovery Console".
Quote:
So I am looking for a dos based CD-Rom driver for a dell 9300 laptop. Can this be done?
No. XP is totally different. There is no DOS anymore.
Quote:
I can't use a boot disk to get into the command prompt since my bios is protected (by me who lost the damn password years ago)
So you are lost. Have you asked Dell support for assistance? Also search the web for Universal BIOS passwords.
Quote:
and only boots to the hard drives (ie. no booting from CD or floppy drives is available).
What do you want to do?

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #4
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_
You hit F8 and boot into xp with cd-rom support.
Nuhr ...!

mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #5
New on Forum

Thank you all for your quick support. I forgot about booting to command prompt with CD-Rom support. I appreciate all your quick responses.
Warshed is offline   Reply With Quote