Old 27-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

LG BD300 Won't play normal DVD after firmware update

I got this player in December and I've played plenty Normal DVD, Blu-Ray Discs and streamed movies from Netflix. I was actually getting worried for a while there cause I was getting hooked.

About a week ago, after turning it on, the player gave a notification that a firmware upgrade was available. I installed the upgrade (mostly because I was hoping it would fix an issue with some streaming netflix movies). The firmware update installed an app which lets me watch Youtube content. Just what I freakin' needed! Youtube on my Pioneer KURO Elite Plasma! ROFL.

Anyway, it won't play any normal DVDs anymore. Even DVDs I played in the same player over a week ago. When I insert the disc, it says reading, then says Disc Error! Then it ejects the disc.

Anyone else have this issue? know a solution? I've heard that LG's support is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Last edited by picasso566; 27-02-2009 at 07:24. Reason: Didn't save my email notification preference
picasso566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: LG BD300 Won't play normal DVD after firmware update

I have exact same problem. I called LG and they are asking 69$. I think it's software problem so I will wait till next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picasso566 View Post
I got this player in December and I've played plenty Normal DVD, Blu-Ray Discs and streamed movies from Netflix. I was actually getting worried for a while there cause I was getting hooked.

About a week ago, after turning it on, the player gave a notification that a firmware upgrade was available. I installed the upgrade (mostly because I was hoping it would fix an issue with some streaming netflix movies). The firmware update installed an app which lets me watch Youtube content. Just what I freakin' needed! Youtube on my Pioneer KURO Elite Plasma! ROFL.

Anyway, it won't play any normal DVDs anymore. Even DVDs I played in the same player over a week ago. When I insert the disc, it says reading, then says Disc Error! Then it ejects the disc.

Anyone else have this issue? know a solution? I've heard that LG's support is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
radixsort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

a dvd burner, is only $30. Almost all of us who upgrade to BD drive has a DVD burner. So why not use a DVD burner to do dVD burning and save the resource of BD-R to do only BD burning? that way, your bd drive lasts longer
happy hopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #4
New on Forum

I'm also having the same problem after the firmware update. $70 is ridiculous for a player that is only 3 months old (just out of their 90 day labor warranty) - no thanks. I am hoping that the new firmware update will fix the problem as well but I don't know how long it is going to take for the next one. It has already about 6 weeks since the last one...hopefully there is another soon. The rep I spoke with on the phone said downgrading the software was not an option.

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Paul
whatsthedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009   #5
New on Forum

whenever I try to call them, call is routed to some nontechie customer support. I think we need to escalate this problem little more.

Another thing is LG has discontinued BD300. I am suspecting they might not put any efforts in fixing BD300 problems.
Old 13-04-2009   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
a dvd burner, is only $30. Almost all of us who upgrade to BD drive has a DVD burner. So why not use a DVD burner to do dVD burning and save the resource of BD-R to do only BD burning? that way, your bd drive lasts longer
dude, do you get what problem we are talking? Our blue ray player doesn't play DVD after firmware upgrade. We are still trying to play bought DVD and not ripped and burned.
Old 18-04-2009   #7
New on Forum

Here is an article about the latest firmware update: http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/02/12...cess-included/

If you read the posts at the bottom, many people are having the same issue we are.
Old 24-04-2009   #8
New on Forum

This is exactly what happen to me...i own 2 systems and both have dvd read problems...i sent 1 back 69+10 shipping... i think LG is ripping us off with this charge when it is a firmware problem...my units worked pefectly before update
malegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009   #9
New on Forum

To all the people who have pad $69 to LG for labor charges withing one year of purchasing the drive -- you should try to get your money back..... They tried to rip me off the same way when I called the tech support with the problem (yeah, YouTube look really cool on my hi-end LCD TV ;-) but I just said no way and guess what? (remains to be seen if I actually get is fixed)
maksimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009   #10
New on Forum

Hi everyone,

I was able to downgrade this morning to BD.8.11.480 by downloading the firmware from http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp . I had to pick Canada from the list since the US link is not working. There is a firmware file that says (US ONLY) in the label at the bottom of the list. I put the ROM file on a USB flash drive and connected it to the BD300. It did not offer to update the first time, but it did when I disconnected and reconnected quickly after. So goodbye Youtube (boo hoo) and welcome back stability. Like maksimb, I refuse to pay for something they broke with a software update. My Netflix instant watch still works and I can watch movies again so don't hesitate to do the same.
Old 03-05-2009   #11
New on Forum

Thanks so much for this info. How did you download the file from your flashdrive to the BD300? I cannot find a USB port on the BD300. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthedeal View Post
Hi everyone,

I was able to downgrade this morning to BD.8.11.480 by downloading the firmware from http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp . I had to pick Canada from the list since the US link is not working. There is a firmware file that says (US ONLY) in the label at the bottom of the list. I put the ROM file on a USB flash drive and connected it to the BD300. It did not offer to update the first time, but it did when I disconnected and reconnected quickly after. So goodbye Youtube (boo hoo) and welcome back stability. Like maksimb, I refuse to pay for something they broke with a software update. My Netflix instant watch still works and I can watch movies again so don't hesitate to do the same.
dscooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #12
New on Forum

I'm sorry for previous post. I found the usb port. (feeling stupid!)
dscooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #13
New on Forum

We tried the recommendation from "Whatsthedeal" yesterday, downloading the old firmware and reloading on the BD300, and the player still doesn't want to play regular DVDs. I'm wishing I'd just gotten the Roku box directly from Netflix and a separate Bluray player.

I think we all need to start inundating LG with e-mails and calls until they come up with a new update that will fix the problem.

Has anyone contacted the Better Business Bureau?

Last edited by twosheds; 03-05-2009 at 23:15. Reason: Wanted to reference another user's comments
twosheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #14
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosheds View Post
We tried the recommendation from "Whatsthedeal" yesterday, downloading the old firmware and reloading on the BD300, and the player still doesn't want to play regular DVDs. I'm wishing I'd just gotten the Roku box directly from Netflix and a separate Bluray player.

I think we all need to start inundating LG with e-mails and calls until they come up with a new update that will fix the problem.

We definitely should bug them about this - it's unacceptable. I have not contacted the BBB yet...lets see how many people we can rally together on this (online petition?).
Old 04-05-2009   #15
New on Forum

Did anybody try to play MKV files with new software update on BD300? BD 370 can play MKV files, so if BD300 with new update can open MKV files, it's not important to me if can't open DVD.
lilici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #16
New on Forum

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi, have you found a solution for this. I've seen a lot of people online with the same issue. Maybe we could pressure LG if you submit a complaint together.
rabineitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #17
New on Forum

I created this petition that I hope everyone will sign. It would be nice to know how many of us are actually having this problem.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tedBD300owners
I also found this at ripoffreports....

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0446155.htm
Old 05-05-2009   #18
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosheds View Post

I also downgraded to 11.480 and still can't play DVDs. LG customer service is pretending this doesn't exist, which is maddening.

Also, I swear LG delayed getting back to me after 3 calls just so I would be past the 90-day mark. I really don't want to pay them the $69 for something they broke, and would almost rather just buy a Roku just out of principle.

Maybe post the petition over at this thread on avsforum? There are probably people there with the same issue
ssmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #19
New on Forum

Could anyone raise the voice to someone important in LG? I am tired of calling customer service who neither accept there is such a problem nor provide any useful fix. We need to take some legal action to wake up LG.
Old 12-05-2009   #20
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthedeal View Post
I created this petition that I hope everyone will sign. It would be nice to know how many of us are actually having this problem.

I also found this at ripoffreports....

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0446155.htm
I signed the petition and logged a complaint on ripoffreport.com. Thank you so much for posting those links! Now I feel like I've done something to fix the problem.

We need to find out the name of the CEO of LG and each of us send him/her a letter (not an e-mail) with a full description of the problem. I saw a consumer advocate program that said that is the most effective way to get around the automatons in customer service.
Old 12-05-2009   #21
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by radixsort View Post
Could anyone raise the voice to someone important in LG? I am tired of calling customer service who neither accept there is such a problem nor provide any useful fix. We need to take some legal action to wake up LG.
Let's all send a letter to the head guy:

Mr. Yong Nam
c/o LG USA Corporate Headquarters
1000 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632

Mr. Nam actually lives and works in Seoul, Korea. If you feel like sending him an international complaint, just google "LG Electronics CEO" and you'll get a link to the worldwide website with the address in Korea.
Old 14-05-2009   #22
New on Forum

I had very positive experience in my last call. Operator actually accepted this is LG's fault. He told me to send the unit and also told he has waived the $69 charge.

He says, firmware upgrade has screwed up things badly. This problem can't fix via another firmware upgrade. Unit needs to be manually fixed. I don't believe this crap, but I am happy that they are fixing the problem without charging.
Old 14-05-2009   #23
New on Forum

I finally had some luck with customer support using email, actually talking to them was useless. They said they would waive the service fee since this was a firmware issue. I used the customer support email form and I told them I wanted to know what they were doing to resolve this problem before I contact the BBB. I also included a link to this thread.

Good luck!
huh-en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009   #24
New on Forum

LG has offered to fix my unit free of charge _if_ (and only if) the problem was caused by the firmware update. If they find that the problem is from something else, they will charge me $70. It's not perfect but it's progress.

I wish everyone good luck in getting their units fixed.
Old 22-05-2009   #25
New on Forum

What I don't understand is, how can firmware update break thing so badly that it can't be patched in next firmware update.

I wish, I could talk to software developers in LG. This is ridicules.

On the other hand, I think this is massive conspiracy to eliminate DVDs and boost up Blue Ray Disc business. Think about it, who will benefit if all the DVD player in the world broke in a single day? All motion pictures, Blue Ray player manufactures are going to have huge profit.

Let's fight back against this. Please sign the petition