Old 15-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

How do I open the DVD drive enclosure. (Memorex 16x16 DVD16 /-DL4RWlD2 External)

I think the drive stopped turning yesterday.
My computer running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit recognizes the drive, but it does not play or record.
The driver is up to date and Windows says the device is working properly but Windows did not start a related device driver.
I'm not sure what to make out of that.
I can't feel the drive spinning, only an intermittent jerking movement.
I would like to open the enclosure to see if the belt needs to be replaced but I can't figure it out.
There are two open slots on one side and no screws or bolts anywhere.
When I tried to gently pry open the enclosure with my Swiss Army Knife, screw driver blade, it was firmly held in place by the adjoining sides.
Does anyone have any idea how to open this drive and/or to start a related device driver.
The drive has been working fine for the past four years on my XP computer and since December 08 on my Vista computer.
Thanks in advance for any help.

ASUS P5Q-SE2 mobo
Nivida GeForce 9500 GT 1gb Graphics Card
8GB Memory DDR2
Pentium Duo Core 8400
WD 1TB Hard Drive
950 watts power supply
COOLER63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How do I open the DVD drive enclosure.

@ COOLER63,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am unaware of exactly how a Memorex 16x16 DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 External Enclosure is dissembled but most External Enclosures are very similar.

Suggest using Google Search (http://www.google.com) and Search under the topic how to disassemble an external DVD enclosure which will reveal something similar to ->

http://www.inoi.com/English/download...567U-P-QIG.pdf

Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009   #3
New on Forum

Re: How do I open the DVD drive enclosure.

Figured it out.
There are two metal stickers on each side of the DVD burner enclosure that have to be removed.
Gently prying the sides up a little at a time removes the plastic enclosure top.
Removing 5 screws from the sides and top of the drive removes the drive from the bottom of the enclosure.
Removing 4 screws from the drive removed the base plate exposing the interior of the drive.
The circuit board swings out of the way by depressing a small plastic catch on the side revealing the bottom of the turntable.
I simply spun and air sprayed all moving parts which apparently freed the turntable from dirt and gunk.
Before assembling the drive I replaced the circuit board and plugged the
power plug into the back of the drive and inserted a DVD which began to spin.
I turned off the drive, reassembled and connected it to my computer and the drive works fine.
I guess after almost 5 years most things could use a good cleaning.
Thanks you for your input and wed site link.
COOLER63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #4

need to remove the feet

The info to remove the side stickers was helpful, the info is incomplete. You must remove the 4 stick-on feet on the bottom of the case, then insert a screwdriver or something similar into to each of the 4 slots, pressing inward on tabs to unlock them ... then you can loosen and lift the top of the case.
jibal is offline   Reply With Quote