Old 09-08-2007   #1
New on Forum

Hl-dt-st Dvd-rom Gdrh10n

I have a Dell dimension E521 still under the warranti until Dec 12, 2007 my problem is my DVD Rom it is a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH10N I put a movie or a disk in and it doesn't read anything I did a scan of the registry and make sure it is update driver the computer shows it is working fine. when i click to Open it open but the drive is empty even though i inserted a movie, any help before I go crazy with dell support would be aprreciated.
2oodlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007   #2

Re: Hl-dt-st Dvd-rom Gdrh10n

2oodlez, I'm not sure if you are still having a problem with this or not, but I have a few questions if you are.

Does the drive read any type of disk at all (CD audio, program disks such as for MS Office or the Windows reinstallation CD)? If it reads CDs but not DVDs then it could be a problem with the reader portion of the drive, which would mean replacing the drive. Since you are in warranty, it should be a simple matter to have a replacement set up (either sending the replacement drive directly to you, or having a tech come out and do the work).

If it sees the drive, but doesn't read any disks at all, then it gets slightly more complex. I could still be the drive, but it could also be software settings in Windows itself at that point. The easiest way to check is to delete the drive from Device Manager (Control Panel > System properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager button then right click on the drive in the list and select Remove or Uninstall). Once removed from Device Manager restart the computer and wait for Windows to detect and reinstall the drive. If it is just a software problem that should fix it.

If you have any questions about this, or are still having problems with the drive, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to provide additional help.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
DellCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #3
New on Forum

I am having the same problem.

Is this model a DVD/RW or not?

I was under the impression it was able to burn DVDs.
daedalus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #4
MyCE Resident

Should be a DVD-ROM, no burner.
Quote:
Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVD-ROM GDRH10N Rev: 0F03
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote