Old 03-11-2008   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Equal to Plextor PX-760SA?

I've been studying this for a week and I'm teetering on the cliffs of insanity with overinformation.

Can anyone recommend an available dual-layer internal DVD burner with reliability and burn quality equal to the discontinued Plextor PX-760SA?
CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower. Intel D975XBX2KR "Bad Axe 2" Mobo. Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0117RU Power. Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz Desktop. Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] VS2GBKIT667D2 5300 DDR2 SDRAM. NVidia evga e-GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO Graphics card. PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card recording system. 2 UA UAD-1 VST PCI cards. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 hybrid video recorder PCI-e card. 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 HDDs chopped into RAID 1 Workstation and Dual-Booted DAW/Audio Library/Video Library. Seagate FreeAgent 750GB External Backup. Twin 23" Samsung SyncMasters (2333sw). Twin Pioneer 216D SCSI Internal DVD/CD-ROMs. KRK V4 Audio Monitors.
LowWaterMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #2
Administrator and Reviewer

Re: Equal to Plextor PX-760SA?

Two drives(sorry three drives).

Optiarc 7200S/7201S/7203S
Pioneer 215 or 216
Old 03-11-2008   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

vroom, thanks much for taking the time to write.

I've been pouring over this forum (and a couple of others) and your opinion is shared by customers and editors alike. Considering I could stack a half-dozen Optiarc or Pioneer burners for what it would cost for one new Plextor PX-760SA (~ $200 delivered), my Plextor fetish is becoming a bit difficult to justify. As fetishes go, that is.

Between the two (i.e. Optiarc and Pioneer), is it a coin flip for you or do you have a preference? What is your preference and why?

Again, thanks.
CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower. Intel D975XBX2KR "Bad Axe 2" Mobo. Thermaltake Toughpower 750W W0117RU Power. Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz Desktop. Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] VS2GBKIT667D2 5300 DDR2 SDRAM. NVidia evga e-GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO Graphics card. PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card recording system. 2 UA UAD-1 VST PCI cards. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 hybrid video recorder PCI-e card. 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 HDDs chopped into RAID 1 Workstation and Dual-Booted DAW/Audio Library/Video Library. Seagate FreeAgent 750GB External Backup. Twin 23" Samsung SyncMasters (2333sw). Twin Pioneer 216D SCSI Internal DVD/CD-ROMs. KRK V4 Audio Monitors.
Old 03-11-2008   #4

The Pionner feels like it's better build. I would like to say that both will give excellent burns with good media, but if you want more tweaks (overspeed) the optiarc is better (from the 215 & maybe the 216). Also the optiarc is a good cd scanner (not as good as the 760). The 215 or 216 can be crossflash to 215L or 216L and you will gain labelflash (if you need it), also in both drives you can change the booktype, with MCSE for the pioneer, and with binflash for the optiarc.

To be honest i just order another optiarc, this time a 7201S (already have the 7200A & the 215) so you can see what is my favorite for the moment.
Old 03-11-2008   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

Thanks. Your words, "better build" are music to my ears and nearly enough to settle my internal debate.

Have you heard anything about the new Sony Optiarc AD-7220A/S? Does the above product sheet seem like more bells and whistles or a more solid, reliable drive?

I've always been of the opinion that clever firmware-utilities are never an alternative to solid design, superior components and exacting tolerances enforced on the assembly line.

If I understood you correctly, the Pioneer 216 gives me the ability to employ Labelflash but the Optiarc does not. That's an odd paradox given that Labelflash was introduced by NEC. Did I misunderstand what you said?

Also, you were discussing "booktyping" with both the Pioneer and the Optiarc. I've never understood what the purpose of booktyping is. I just finished this four page tutorial on Pioneer & MCSE patching over on UDVDR and I'm no closer to understanding booktyping's purpose. Can you explain it in a sentence?

I'm close to buying two Pioneers (DVR-216DBK). NewEgg shows the OEM for $31 plus shipping.
Old 03-11-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowWaterMark View Post
Thanks. Your words, "better build" are music to my ears and nearly enough to settle my internal debate.

Quote:
Have you heard anything about the new Sony Optiarc AD-7220A/S? Does the above product sheet seem like more bells and whistles or a more solid, reliable drive?
So far looks like a liteon.

Quote:
I've always been of the opinion that clever firmware-utilities are never an alternative to solid design, superior components and exacting tolerances enforced on the assembly line.

Quote:
If I understood you correctly, the Pioneer 216 gives me the ability to employ Labelflash but the Optiarc does not. That's an odd paradox given that Labelflash was introduced by NEC. Did I misunderstand what you said?
You can get the 7203A or S and have labelflash from the start, i personally don't use that much labelflash or lightscribe, but yes the pioneer can be crossflashed into a 216L (the optiarc you will have to get the 7203 version).

Quote:
Also, you were discussing "booktyping" with both the Pioneer and the Optiarc. I've never understood what the purpose of booktyping is. I just finished this four page tutorial on Pioneer & MCSE patching over on UDVDR and I'm no closer to understanding booktyping's purpose. Can you explain it in a sentence?
It changes the way that the disc is identified after the burn (form dvd+r it changes to dvd-rom), and also it increases the compatibility with older dvd-player.

Also a little more search you will find more threads about booktype.

Quote:
I'm close to buying two Pioneers (DVR-216DBK). NewEgg shows the OEM for $31 plus shipping.
The 216 looks very good, and with good media you will get great results.
Old 03-11-2008   #7
CD Freaks Rookie

vroom, thanks again for your time and patience.

In 27 words, you conveyed the meaning of booktyping. Kudos. I've read for probably an hour on the topic and just wrapped my mind around it when I reached the end of your sentence above.

Well, I pulled the trigger. Pioneer 216 in black it is. Plus I tossed in a short spindle of Verbatim dual-layer disks. Now I'll have to start pestering someone else about the vagaries of +R, -R, UltraLife, gold, et cetera - not to mention the moral dilemma of whether it's just to LightScribe (or Labelflash). Labelflash sounds kinkier, but never underestimate the fun you can have with a new felt pen.