Old 15-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

Connecting various HD components to new Sony Blue Ray

Hi,

I want to purchase a Sony BDP-S350 Blue ray disc player. Currently I have the following:

1. Sony DVD Home Theatre System (DAV-Dx150) with Component, composite and S-video only. No digital coaxial/optical

2. Sony Bravia HD 1080p Projector with HDMI, component

3. HD Scientific American Cable box with DVI, component, composite, s-video

I was thinking of connecting the blue ray disc via HDMI to the sony projector and the cable box to the sony projector via component. Does this seem feasible? How do I achieve surround sound from the sony receiver (DAV-DX150) with both the sony blue ray and the cable box with only one composite hookup? Is there another option?

Thank you,
SHM
sirnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Connecting various HD components to new Sony Blue Ray

Unfortunately, you will need coaxial/optical or HDMI to have surround sound.

This is sometimes the downside to buying little mini home theater systems.

Three simple rules:

1. Never Change the Deal
2. No Names.
3. Never Open the Package.

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnu1 View Post
I was thinking of connecting the blue ray disc via HDMI to the sony projector and the cable box to the sony projector via component. Does this seem feasible?
Yes you will get hidef video with this setup. But audio is another problem as you already know.

Quote:
How do I achieve surround sound from the sony receiver (DAV-DX150) with both the sony blue ray and the cable box with only one composite hookup?
You can't get surround sound unless you have Multichannel inputs, Optical/coaxial or HDMI.

Quote:
Is there another option?
If you can afford Sony Bravia 1080p projector you probably can afford to upgrade your home theather. There are plenty Home Theather in a Box (HTIB) such as from Sony, Yamaha or Onkyo for $300 and up. For example from Sony (it seems you prefer Sony): http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644481278

But to let you know, the BDP-S350 does not decode DTS HD Master Audio internally, it only bitstream. Most HTIB also does not decode DTS HD MA so you will not get the DTS HD MA glory but you can here the core DTS.
zaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

Look at an AVR such as the Onkyo 606. Multiple HDMI inputs and a single HDMI to your projector. It's an AVR only, but you should be able to reuse your existing speakers.
Old 20-12-2008   #5
New on Forum

Thanks for all your help. I will see what I can work out.
sirnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote