Old 09-01-2006   #1
New on Forum

CD Media Stacking Ring Question

Since the 1991 version of the red book standard (and possibly earlier) there has been an allowance in the dimensional section of the disk for a "stacking ring" on the top and bottom side of the disk. On the "read out" side of the disk, the stacking ring allowance is .4mm in height, in a zone from 33mm in diameter to 39.5mm in diameter. On the "Label" side of the disk, the stacking ring allowance is .4mm in height in a zone from 33mm in diameter to 44mm in diameter.

This being said, it is easy for one to find an example of a read out side stacking ring. Many CDDA disks have them as well as MOST CD-Rs. The difficulty appears to be finding any disks that have a label side stacking ring.

Does anyone know of any CDDA, CD-R's or CD-RW's with a label side stacking ring. I would be particularly interested in a published, readily available CDDA disk that is known to have this feature as well as any brand of writeable CD media that has a top side ring. I have been through my meager collection of 129 CDDA disks and 40 random CD-Rs found none.
dag655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #2
CD Freaks Expert

Re: CD Media Stacking Ring Question

I just checked some of my CDs and it seems at least half of them have the top side stacking ring. It's a groove and not a bump as it is on the bottom side.

Several Metallica CDs.
Memorex 700MB 48x multi-speed CD-Rs.

And my favorite, Mad Season - Above from Columbia records. If you like Alice In Chains you should love this one.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #3
CD Freaks Member

Wow. I didn't know that's what that little hump on the bottom & groove in the top of my CDs was! I only have a few truly old CDs, but notice that all of my early 1990s dance CDs are 'flat'. It feels a little risky, so that's what I thought they added the ring for.
adam917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006   #4
New on Forum

Thank you to those who replied, but I want to clarify what I am looking for.

Specifically I am looking for CDs (whether pressed or CD-R media), that have a raised stacking ring on the top side of the disc. The Red Book spec allows for a top side stacking ring within a certain area and up to 0.4 mm tall. I have not been able to find any of these discs, or even confirm their existence.
Old 14-01-2006   #5
CD Freaks Expert

The stacking ring is a bump on the bottom side and a valley in the top side. I don't think you will ever find a CD with a bump (raised) stacking ring on the top. I'll check the spec to see if it indicates this or not.

In order to be a 'working' stacking ring, one side would need to be a bump and the other side would need to be a valley to accept the bump. If both sides had bumps, then it would not work at all unless the rings were of different diameters to allow one to be inside the other.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006   #6
New on Forum

RichMan,
Thanks for the reply, Feel free to check the spec to see if I am reading/interpreting it wrong. My understanding though is as stated in my opening post that this zone has been identified and allowed since the 1991 version of the red book spec.

Your concerns about a 'working' stack ring I do believe are addressed in the red book spec as well as in the information provided in the opening post. The read out side stack ring zone is from 33 to 39.5 mm in diameter, while the label side stack ring zone is from 33mm to 44mm in diameter. With a normal stack ring being only 1-1.5 mm in width, there are multiple combinations of raised rings on both sides that would all nesting and stacking.

Regardless, amongst the few people who are reading this thread, none of us have seen one. The only fringe case of existence of a label side stack ring on a "CD" that we have come across to date is on a Dual Disk (yes I am aware that these do not conform to red book in the first place). The DVD media on most Dual Disks has a read out side stack ring and a label side "groove." When played as a CD it has a label side stack ring, and a read out side groove.

If anyone else finds one, please let me know.
Old 16-01-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

I had cheapy HK made discs with raised stacking ring on both sides [though this is a DVD]