Old 13-03-2012   #1

BluRay drive compatibility with a Toshiba laptop (C-SEL/inverted C-SEL)

I am going to receive soon a Toshiba L750D laptop and I want to buy an internal BluRay Burner/Writer to put it in this laptop. From my research I found that the choice is not that big. I think I'm going to settle with Panasonic UJ 260 (or UJ 240). I was ready to buy, but then I decided to read www.centrix-intl.com compatibility guide. Here's what it says:

"Like hard drives, Slim CD/DVD must be set to ether slave or master. Because there is no jumper on the drive to change one to another it is important to know if your system requires the drive to be set as a Master. Apple and a few Toshiba systems require Master drives, however most use Cable Select-Slave / Master. Typically the drive is set to master or slave by the system cable configuration. If the optical drive is not configured properly, it will not be detected by the BIOS or you will get IDE #1 error when you start the system.

Toshiba Users.
If you own a Toshiba notebook, chances are your optical drive is Master inverted C-SEL. If you update your optical drive with anything other then inverted C-SEL you will get the infamous IDE #1 error during boot.
From our web site www.centrix-intl.com search keyword"inverted"." ( http://www.centrix-intl.com/slimcomp...mpatibilty.htm )

This Panasonic UJ 260 Default drive ID setting: CSEL, according to description on eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Is there a difference bewteen an inverted C-SEL and a C-SEL? Will this one work on a Toshiba L750D laptop?

If this won't work, would you recommend me some other internal BluRay Writer/Burner, that's not more expensive than some 120-130 USD?
tufffta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012   #2

I think I found an answer: it won't work. Now reading forums I found that older Toshiba laptops have inverted C-SEL; plus there was "If you own a Toshiba notebook, chances are" - meaning there are also chances it's a standard C-SEL. Is there a way to find out whether my current Satellite L750D is C-SEL or inverted C-SEL?
Old 13-03-2012   #3

I had Toshiba Satellite L25 (from some 2006, I think), which didn't have SATA connections, only IDE, and I put a a DVD-RW drive from some HP computer - worked. And from this item description it seems L25 is inverted C-SEL - it's listed there as a model that's compatible with an inverted C-SEL optical drive: http://www.bixnet.com/insldvcodr1.html

By the way, does this all matter with SATA drives? The BluRay drive I am thinking about is SATA.
Old 13-03-2012   #4
Senior Moderator

Re: BluRay drive compatibility with a Toshiba laptop (C-SEL/inverted C-SEL)

Hi and Welcome!

indeed, BluRay drives have a Sata interface, and all this Master/Slave/Cable Selct stuff doesn't apply here. You can avoid any interface and installation hassle if you get an external drive, preferably a unit that comes with its own power supply unit.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi and Welcome!

indeed, BluRay drives have a Sata interface, and all this Master/Slave/Cable Selct stuff doesn't apply here.
So that means that a SATA optical device should be compatible with a Toshiba laptop?

Quote:
You can avoid any interface and installation hassle if you get an external drive, preferably a unit that comes with its own power supply unit.
Is it possible to take the slimline BluRay drive out of that "external" case and use as an internal? This Panasonic UJ 260 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-Pan...item564795970a (pictures are there) - there is also an internal UJ 260, so that makes me believe it's exactly the same thing, only put into some box to make it external. Is that right? So then would it be possible to take it out, try in my laptop, and if it does not work for some reason, put it back and use as an external drive?
Old 13-03-2012   #6
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufffta View Post
So that means that a SATA optical device should be compatible with a Toshiba laptop?
That depends on the laptop. It must be new enough to have a Sata optical drive installed. In case you want BluRay movie playback, check if your system meets the requirements. Look here: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

Quote:
Is it possible to take the slimline BluRay drive out of that "external" case and use as an internal?
Theoretical yes, but I would not do that.
The drive is based on an internal Sata unit. But the design of the enclosure might prevent separation without damage, also, there might be some firmware differences, and in a worst case scenario, the Sata/USB converter might be soldered onto the drive's PCB making it impossible to use internally. This has been seen with 2.5" external HDDs, but it is not impossible that such might happen with opticals also.

Michael
Old 13-03-2012   #7

Quote:
That depends on the laptop. It must be new enough to have a Sata optical drive installed. In case you want BluRay movie playback, check if your system meets the requirements. Look here: http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

Theoretical yes, but I would not do that.
The drive is based on an internal Sata unit. But the design of the enclosure might prevent separation without damage, also, there might be some firmware differences, and in a worst case scenario, the Sata/USB converter might be soldered onto the drive's PCB making it impossible to use internally. This has been seen with 2.5" external HDDs, but it is not impossible that such might happen with opticals also.

Michael
Thanks, Michael. I just fuond that there are external USB 2.0 slimline cases sold separately, so if the drive won't work, I'll buy the case. As for SATA, I'm sure my laptop has SATA optical drive. Spent whole day looking for the infomation - thank you very much!
Old 14-03-2012   #8
Senior Moderator

Re: BluRay drive compatibility with a Toshiba laptop (C-SEL/inverted C-SEL)

You're welcome

Michael
Old 06-04-2012   #9

how'd this work out for ya? i just got a toshiba tecra, and would like to install a bluray burner. are the drives all the same size and will the original faceplate normally just snap on the new drive?

thanks
james
nodwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #10

I haven't yet received them... Will receive them in two weeks, so...