Old 27-06-2008   #1
New on Forum

Best external drive to backup Xbox 360 Hitachi games

Hi,

I am trying to find an external DVD drive to use to make backups of my Hitachi Xbox 360 without having to open anything up. I want to be able to use a USB connection.

I *really* don't want to open anything up. I went to quite a lot of trouble to get a pre-flashed 360 with a xecuter blaster, and intentionally got a Hitachi drive so I could connect to my PC using USB (I got the USB360).

On the xbox-scene forums, the following drives are listed as compatible:

Liteon SHM-165H6S, SHW-16H5S, SHW-160P6S, SOHW-1639S, SOHW-1653s, SOHW-1633S, SOHW-1673S, SOHW-1693s

Pioneer 108 /A08, 109 /A09, 110, 111D/dvr710, DVR-111,112/DVR-1810, DVR-K15

Sony DRU-700A, DRU-720, DRU-810A, DRU-800A, DW-Q28A, DW-R56A

Teac DV-W516GC and Asus P3S

My first choice is the Pioneer 111D, but I can't find it already in an enclosure anywhere, and besides I've read a bunch of horror stories about 111D's in enclosures.
I found that many of the Liteons have an "x" suffix to the model number to indicate external, but I can't find any of these still for sale.

I don't know how to put a drive into an enclosure and I doubt I'd be able to figure out a good enclosure anyway, as I read about all kinds of problems people have had putting drives such as the Pioneer 111/112 into enclosures.

Does anyone know of any of the listed Hitachi-compatible burners that is either already external or is already in an enclosure that is still for sale, that isn't total crap.

I would prefer not to spend much more than $120, but I am willing to spend more for something that is known to be of good quality.

I have spent two days searching (yes I've read the big enclosure thread too), so I really am not trying to be lazy.

Thanks for any suggestions...
missyrelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Best external drive to backup Xbox 360 Hitachi games

@ missyrelm,

Your Xbox-Scene Forums information is old out dated information.

The Pioneer DVR-115D (newer, more current, and up to date than the out of production DVR-111D and DVR-112D Drives) in an external USB enclosure will work just Jim Dandy.

An example is the “New External USB 2.0 + Pioneer 20x DVD±RW DVR-115D” current e bay auction. Unfortunately the Forum doesn’t allow e bay auction links but if you visit e bay and search the topic “DVR-115D External” you will find many listing for the Pioneer DVR-115D in an external enclosure.

Another source is NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com). Just look under the heading “External CD/DVD Drives”.

Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008   #3
New on Forum

Thanks for the advice, that really helps!

I haven't been able to verify if the newer DVR-115D will be compatible with my old 360's Hitachi drive, but if it is this would be an ideal choice. Some of but searches bring up some people having problems with it, but I am going to investigate further.

Also the seller doesn't have the best rating.

I can't find an enclosed DVR-115D on newegg

My other option would be to buy the enclosure and internal drive seperately and then pay someone to assemble it for me.

If I am willing to use outdated hardware, there is a
a Pioneer DVR1810C 18x CD/DVD Burner at Amazon for $59.99 shipped
(I guess I can't provide the link)

and a Plumax PM-525U2-PCS V5 Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure
at Dealsonic.com for $24.99 + $5.99 shipping

Then I guess I'd pay someone to assemble the Pioneer and Plumax together for me,

But of course getting a suitable burner for an older Hitachi 360 that is already in an enclosure that is my strong preference.

I know many people feel that this is an easy install but I have to pay people to put internal drives into my computer, and as far as I can tell this is a simliar process.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the DVR-115D. I didn't know that the Xbox-Scene Forums information was outdated, I just assumed that it lists much older drives because the Hitachi Xbox 360's is old hardware.
Old 28-06-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyrelm
.....My other option would be to buy the enclosure and internal drive separately and then pay someone to assemble it for me.....
@ missyrelm,

I hope you are joking with your above quoted statement.

All that is required is to open the external enclosure front cover and plug in two connectors and put the external enclosure front cover back on. If anything it’s the pride of knowing that you that you personally installed the external enclosure instead on relying on some buck an hour flunky to do the job for you. If that simple task is above your personnel capabilities then possibly the task of making XBox Games backup is also above your personnel capabilities.

You need to get your nose in the dirt and personally see how things work and interact with each other. That way instead of sitting there like a bump on a log when something doesn’t work you have at least some simple knowledge of what’s occurring and could fix a problem yourself instead of relying on someone else to fix the problem for you.

Why would you want to purchase an old out of date DVD Burner that hasn’t had any recent Firmware updates released in years when new current up to date DVD Burner Models are available?

Regards,
bjkg
Old 28-06-2008   #5
New on Forum

Well that changes things if any newer model dual-layer burners will work.

I am thinking of the SONY DRX-S70U External, I just want to make sure that there are no known imcompatibilities with the older Xbox 360 Hitachi drives.
Old 28-06-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

Disregard - Error

Last edited by bjkg; 28-06-2008 at 16:21.
Old 28-06-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyrelm
.....I am thinking of the SONY DRX-S70U External.....
@ missyrelm,

A Slim Line External Drive (which the Sony DRX-S70U is) is NOT the way to go. ALL Slim Line Drive are poor performers when compared to the performance of a Half Height Drive. Also Slim Line Drives rarely have any Firmware updates issued to keep the Drive current with improved performance Media write strategies. Whichever Drive you finally decide on ensure that the Drive is a Half Height Drive and not a Slim Line Drive.

Also Sony doesn’t manufacture DVD Drives – the Sony DRX-S70U is actually an Optiarc 7540A. If you REALLY desire the Sony DRX-S70U then purchase the Optiarc 7540A and save yourself the extra money Sony charges to have the Sony name stamped on the Optiarc 7540A Drive.

Once again the Pioneer DVR-115D (Half Height Drive) which is the new most currently produced Pioneer Drive and is fully supported with current Firmware updates is an excellent performer which consistently procedures quality error free results with Verbatim DL Media which is the preferred DL Media to use when producing XBox Game BackUp copies. Whatever Drive you decide on needs to be able to successfully write without errors to the preferred Verbatim DL Media.

I don’t understand your fixation is with “compatibility” issues with Xbox 360 Hitachi drives. The issue with XBox Game BackUp Coping is that the particular DVD Burner used has to have Auto Book Type BitSetting of DL Media to Book Type DVD-ROM which the Pioneer DVR-115D fully supports. If the DVD Burner doesn’t support Auto Book Type BitSetting of DL Media to Book Type DVD-ROM then the XBox Game BackUp Copy will fail to play properly in the XBox. That is what the “compatibility” issue is. The Pioneer DVR-115D DVD Burner and any other DVD Burner that supports Auto Book Type BitSetting of DL Media to Book Type DVD-ROM is “compatible”. Most Modern DVD Burners with “Firmware” updates support Auto Book Type BitSetting of DL Media to Book Type DVD-ROM.

Regards,
bjkg
Old 29-06-2008   #8
New on Forum

Sorry to have frustrated you, I'm not used to buying new stuff, mostly I just get *really* old retro consoles where information rarely becomes out of date.

Anyway, I appreciate you steering me away from some bad decisions.

I did not realize how out of date the Hitachi compatibility issues were.

I am going to get the Pioneer DVR-115D, both from what you have wrote and my own research.

Now I just have to decide on how to make it external.

The two 115D's that I can find already in enclosures is the one on Ebay that you pointed me to for $68.90 shipped which uses
a "Galaxy Metal Gear Box USB2.0 External Enclosure" and one at gmscomputersales.com which is Model: DVR-115DE and uses aluminum and has a fan for the high price $119.95 before shipping.

Neither of these two mention chipset.

From reading the huge Enclosures thread here, all that seems to really matter is that is chipset and Cypress AT2+ seems to be the way to go.

So I have emailed both sellers and if neither enclosures have the AT2+ then I may have to buy an enclosure seperately.

At any rate, thanks for helping me decide on a 115D burner, and if need be, I can always go to the enclosures forum here.
Old 30-06-2008   #9
New on Forum

Got Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

and

SYBA SD-U2PLA-525 Rugged aluminum 5.25" USB2.0 B External Enclosure, NEC Chipset

based on a suggestion from the enclosures forum.
Old 02-07-2008   #10
New on Forum

so did it work?
daris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #11
New on Forum

I'm still waiting for the hardware in the mail from Newegg and the Verbatim's MIS from netsoftmedia.com
I'll report when they come in.
Old 11-07-2008   #12
New on Forum

Sorry it took me so long to respond.
I had to use a friends Kreon drive to rip my two Xbox 360 games.

The Pioneer DVR-115DBK made two flawless burns

Without trying to start an arguement, I have a few thoughts on the rather strong DIY dogma that I received here.

I'm not the only person who *needs* a DVD drive who doesn't want to learn how to install hardware. The cost of paying someone to install a drive into my computer for me is less than the cost of a pizza.

This is reflected in some new designs for enclosures.

The SYBA SD-U2PLA-525 Rugged aluminum 5.25" USB2.0 B External Enclosure, NEC Chipset is a WONDERFUL install.

It features a screwless install and I was able to do it myself with just a little patience.

I would recommend it to anyone who gets woozy when it comes to installing hardware.

It was very easy and was clearly easier to assemble than any other setup that I have ever seen, for sure easier than installing internally and from what I've seen much easier than other external enclosures as well.

That said, the suggestion of using a Pioneer DVR-115DBK was greatly appreciated, though I wish it had been said in a tone that was more friendly to the hardware illiterate.

After all, everyone should be able to backup their games to save them from their kids and themselves, not just people who like to tinker.
Old 11-07-2008   #13
MyCE Resident

@ missyrelm,

Well pardon me for my efforts in attempting to help you.

The was absolutely nothing ‘hostel’ in any of my postings in this thread that warrants your uncalled for tone in your #12 posting.

Regards,
bjkg
Old 11-07-2008   #14
New on Forum

I'm sorry if I offended you, or if my tone came off harsh. That is not how I wanted to come across, nor was I trying to attack you in any way. I apologize if I came across in a "uncalled for" manner

I have thanked you several times for your help in this thread, and I really want you to know that I deeply appreciate it.

I would not have gotten a modern DVD burner without you, nor would I have gotten the right burner for my needs without your advice.

I will use that burner for many years to come, and I really don't want you to feel "burned" or unappreciated for giving advice.

You are the only person who took the time to give me in-depth help in this thread, and I really *do* appreciate it.

I may have misunderstood your tone in post #4. I felt criticized for not wanting to install things myself, and my feelings were hurt a little. I'm just being honest.

I was simply trying to make this thread more friendly to other people who would rather pay to have things assembled than to do it themselves.

All I wanted to do was to present a different point of view.

I guess I should not have mentioned that at all. I am sorry that it caused you to feel like your advice was unappreciated

You have my sincere apology,

Missyrelm
Old 24-10-2008   #15
CD Freaks Rookie

missy, the setup you have now currently uses booktyping to set dvd+rw dual layer disks to dvd-rom right?
99shassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008   #16
MyCE Resident

@ 99shassan,

Forum Member missyrelm Pioneer DVR-115D DVD Burner set up supports auto book type bit setting of DVD+R DL Media to book type DVD-ROM. It does NOT support book type bit setting of DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM.

Attempting to book type bit set DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM is problematic and causes compatibly issues.

It should be noted that the DVD+RW Alliance Consortium (http://www.dvdrw.com) DVD+RW Media format specifications does not support book type bit setting of DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM.

Since the DVD+RW Alliance Consortium (http://www.dvdrw.com) DVD+RW Media format specifications does not support book type bit setting of DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM no DVD Media Manufacture manufactures any DVD+RW Media that supports book type bit setting of DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM. Through some magic software trickery you might be able find some software program that 'attempts' to book type bit set DVD+RW Media to book type DVD-ROM but in the long run this will prove to be problematic.

Regards,
bjkg

PS - Concerning DVD+RW DL Media - In March 2006 the DVD+RW Alliance Consortium (http://www.dvdrw.com) approved DVD+RW DL Media format specifications but at least in USofA this media has never been available and I doubt if it ever will be available.

Last edited by bjkg; 24-10-2008 at 06:42.
Old 24-12-2008   #17
New on Forum

Hello my Name is Rick and ben Searching for two weeks finding a compatible Xbox 360 Iso External Burner online and at the Stores and I wasnt sure so i Wanted to make sure before i buy one that will work so i did some research on finding a Good External Burner and I came across this Great Forum so my Question to
missyrelm is Wich Pioneer External Burner 115D did u buy?

http://www.cdrom2go.com/product-more...content=E30401

http://www.cdrom2go.com/product-more...content=E30501

and my Question to bjkg what is the Diffrence Beet ween this to External Burners?
PIONEER EXTERNAL FIREWIRE/USB 2.0 DVD±RW DRIVE BLACK
PIONEER EXTERNAL USB 2.0 DVD±RW DRIVE BLACK

So Please Guys Please Reply to my Question ASAP Possible So I can Request em as Christmas Gift LOL

Will any of these 2 External Burners do the Job Please Reply ASAP Thank U your Help is Much Appriciated
LongShark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008   #18
MyCE Resident

@ LongShark007,

Welcome to the Forum.

If your particular Computer supports a FireWire interface a FireWire external drive would be more desirable over a USB external drive because a FireWire interface supports faster I/O transfer rates than an USB interface.

Concerning the 2 Web Link references provided in your #17 posting unfortunately these Web Links fail to provide absolutely no information on ChipSet controller used in these eternal enclosures. Strongly suggest preceding in the manner that Forum Member missyrelm chose and assemble your own ‘Eternal Enclosure’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShark007
.....so my Question to missyrelm is Wich Pioneer External Burner 115D did u buy?.....
It appears that you over looked Forum Member missyrelm #9 and #12 posting comments. Perhaps it would be prudent to thoroughly review this entire posting thread. Also suggest reviewing Forum Member missyrelm “External Enclosures” Forum posting thread ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f143/best-e...2/#post2091645

It should be noted that Pioneer now has released the newer more current up to date DVR-116D model drive which is an upgraded version of the older DVR-115D Drive. A Pioneer DVR-116D drive model would be more desirable than the older DVR-115D model.

Regards,
bjkg
Old 24-12-2008   #19
New on Forum

Hello Thank U for Replying to My Question Fist of All Um Iam Kind of an Artard when it Comes to Internal Burners and External Burners So What youre Telling Me Is I missundertood this Forum So this External Burner PIONEER EXTERNAL USB 2.0 DVD±RW DRIVE BLACK wont do the Job for Burning Xbox 360 Isos Um I understand that you Mentioned to Get the Pioneer DVR-116D But they dont have this in a ExternalVersion Right

Um My Other Question is If I get a Internal Ponner 115D or 116D and if i get any Inclosure Kit will that Work with my Laptop

But I prefer a External Burner Doh its Much Easier Please Reply
LongShark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008   #20
MyCE Resident

@ LongShark007,

Get an internal Pioneer DVR-116D Drive and install it an SYBA SD-U2PLA-525 External Enclosure.

Regards,
bjkg
Old 09-05-2009   #21
New on Forum

I have a ? sorry in advance if u've answered it already

ok i have the Hitachi 47 drive in my 360 and reading your posts all i need is a pioneer drive to rip the games then burn them right?

My question is do i have to flash the drive with any firmware to rip the game?
Superman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #22
New on Forum

I just hope someone can mod my Xbox no problems 'Buts thats not the problem'..............

There are like a million different answers here. Im not worried about the xbox itself but can someone who knows what there doing like a computer techi or had previous experiance please help me out, I need a new DVD driver so i can backup any xbox360 game on the market today. What one should i get and how would i flash it.
flash_banggoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #23

Hi, one more question, what enclosure, that is currently on market, can be used reliably with pioneer 216D (sata), or if anyone knows a reliable external dvd burner that can burn 360 games with success...
thx!
fairman is offline   Reply With Quote