Old 11-08-2009   #1
MyCE Junior Member

Best Blue-Ray blank disc brand?

I'm giving serious consideration to investing in a blue-ray burner. I know opinions vary widely as to blank media, but as far as regular discs go, Verbatim seems to be the main choice. I was wondering if the same thing goes for Blue-Ray?
LadyJemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #2
CD Freaks Rookie

Re: Best Blue-Ray blank disc brand?

I have used some verbatim and TDK. Had no problem with Verbatim apart from the price

My Panasonic BD35 would not read TDK BD-RE 25 . Same disks made by Verbatim works. Had two different types of TDK and Verbatim BD25 end they all would be written and palyed back ok. Had some problems with TDK BD-RE 50 but Verbatim does not make them so could not compare.

Overall Verbatim just feels better.
DVD_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #3
MyCE Senior Member

I use Sony mostly I figure they made blu-ray so why not

I have a launch PS3 and a standalone phillips player both single layer and dual layer discs play fine on them both, the ps3 does not like my sony BD-RE DL disc though but I hear RE DL is hit and miss from PS3 to PS3 it plays fine on the phillips though

I get all my sony discs imported from japan through eBay
MrPete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJemima View Post
I'm giving serious consideration to investing in a blue-ray burner. I know opinions vary widely as to blank media, but as far as regular discs go, Verbatim seems to be the main choice. I was wondering if the same thing goes for Blue-Ray?
brand means mothing really.

If you buy Sony there is no qurantee that you will get a real Sony disc.

For example I have few Sony disc made by Panasonic, or few Maxell made by Verbatim, or Memorex made by Ritek etc...

so far the safest bet are Panasonic and TDK. All Panasonic and TDK disc I seen so far are real Panasonic and TDK disc made in japan.

Verbatim started using factories in Taiwan, these disc are mostly likely fine, but for same price or less you will be better off with Panasonic or TDK.

here is a good thread with examples
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/blu-ra...thread-274174/

and what ever you do avoid media made in China
server/media server
Samsung SH-S182M
family system
BenQ DW1620 Pro (soon to be retired)
NEC ND-3550A @ 4551A (LABELFLASH!)
HTPC
Samsung SH-S203B
LG GGC-H20L
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #5
Retired Senior Moderator and Senior Reviewer

I have grown very fond of TDK myself, after burning 50+ BD-R (data) and multiple BD-RE both 25GB and 50GB (also erasing and reusing) I have never had any problems at all.
MegaDETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #6
CD Freaks Member

Let's rephrase the question, which MIDs are most desirable currently? Both in terms of burning compatibility (and reliability) and of course in read reliability in other devices, with the PS3 being a common non-burner device?

I'm specially interested in BD-RE both 25GB and DL 50GB.
Doctor_T is offline   Reply With Quote