Old 17-03-2006   #1
MyCE Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33
is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Hi,

I still prefer to write DVD at 4x and CD at 12x, as I believe laser trace holes and bits are of a better quality, then at higher speeds. Also all writing media should be more tolerant at lower speeds.

In this forum most people talk about speeds up to 16x like being almost a mainstream. Is it that I'm a little oldfashioned or is it that people here like more racing and reliabilty is of second importance?

Is there still anyone else burning at 4x with new 12x-16x drive?
0ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006   #2
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deadwood
Posts: 11,533
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Slower speed burning has never been "better", unless you use slow-speed media.

Mosr CDRW burners produce the highest burn quality at 32x or even 40x. Most of the newest DVDRW drives produce the best quality at the media's rated speed. With the possible exception of 16x media, which often burns better at 12x in most drives.

All of this is dependand on the specific combination of drive and media. But there has never been any generalized advantage to burning slower.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006   #3
Senior Administrator & Reviewer
 
Arachne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tabby Towers, West of England
Posts: 33,938
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

I tend to burn data CDs @32x, audio CDs @16x, and as for DVDs, depends on the rated speed - I tend to burn 16x rated discs @12x *most* of the time, and 8x rated discs @8x (or 12x, if the discs/drive firmware will allow...usually only for testing purposes).

You'll get some varied responses here.
__________________
RIP Baz 8/1997-11/2013 - love ya buddy

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006   #4
MyCE Resident
 
TimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,496
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

When you view some of the disc quality scans of media burned at high speed you realise just how good a burn is being produced.
If you tried to burn a quality media - eg. Taiyo Yuden T03 rated at 16x - at 4x the burn would be no better than if done at 12/16x & most likely far worse.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006   #5
MyCE Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
Earlier lower CD writing speeds produced better results, as laser "had time" to burn fine holes with proper leading edges, while at higher speed hole edges were not as distintct and readers often read the sectors twice, resulting in a slower media reading speed and also a shorter archiving age of media.
0ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006   #6
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deadwood
Posts: 11,533
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ssy
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
Earlier lower CD writing speeds produced better results, as laser "had time" to burn fine holes with proper leading edges, while at higher speed hole edges were not as distintct and readers often read the sectors twice, resulting in a slower media reading speed and also a shorter archiving age of media.
Only if you're talking about 4x CDRW drives. This has not been true for newer drives since 32x burners were introduced. Again, talking about high-speed media.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #7
MyCE Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Hi,

I'm still not convinced. As lower burning speed creates better holes with deep edges as on the added illustration, also lower writing speed disks must be more resistant to ageing and easier to read with less errors.

New drives have many different and powerful error correction systems, therefore tests may not reflect the absolute truth. While some of these may be eliminated some are by design and can't be switched off for testing time.
A year ago I did some quyality testing and measurements too but results were rather contraversial and I quit.

The problem may be also, that newer DVD drives firmware or even hardware doesn't support properly lower writing speeds, as manufacturers are racing too.

Right now I don't have any need for 16x as I have time to write at 4x (approx 30 min - to have a break), also DVD burner is on every PC now, so I can use another PC, if there are more then 1 DVD to write ...
Attached Images
 
0ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #8
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Gwangju, South Korea
Posts: 13,586
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Then make a compromise. Choose 8x which is nearly twice faster than 4x while not being so slower than 12x or even 16x. Most DVD burners and most (name branded) DVD media rated at 8x to 16x are good at 8x burning. I don't think manufacturers have enough time to test and tune 4x writing on their new products that consumers want to buy these days.
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #9
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 672
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ssy
Hi,

I'm still not convinced. As lower burning speed creates better holes with deep edges as on the added illustration, also lower writing speed disks must be more resistant to ageing and easier to read with less errors.

New drives have many different and powerful error correction systems, therefore tests may not reflect the absolute truth. While some of these may be eliminated some are by design and can't be switched off for testing time.
A year ago I did some quyality testing and measurements too but results were rather contraversial and I quit.

The problem may be also, that newer DVD drives firmware or even hardware doesn't support properly lower writing speeds, as manufacturers are racing too.

Right now I don't have any need for 16x as I have time to write at 4x (approx 30 min - to have a break), also DVD burner is on every PC now, so I can use another PC, if there are more then 1 DVD to write ...
plextor's TA tests are perfect for this. and it shows that differences across drives are bigger than differences between speeds on the same drive.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #10
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deadwood
Posts: 11,533
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
I'm still not convinced. As lower burning speed creates better holes with deep edges as on the added illustration, also lower writing speed disks must be more resistant to ageing and easier to read with less errors.
I'm confused as to why you created this thread, if you already have all the answers.

Unless you're doing quality scans and comparing different media with different burn speeds, you have no idea whether you are getting better burns at 4x or any other speeds. All you really have is a big assumption based on old information. Also, burning a disc does not create "holes".
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #11
MyCE Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Thanks for your replies.
To my suprise this forum has centered around high writing speeds, which some years ago was considered not to produce best results, that inspired me to open this thead.
I hoped someone can provide new information or interesting web links.

As told the high writing speed itself isn't essential to me and I guess, also not to most of the freaks here.
Isn't most importantcrossplatform compatibility and longevity?
0ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #12
CDFreaks Resident
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 708
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ssy


As told the high writing speed itself isn't essential to me and I guess, also not to most of the freaks here.
Isn't most importantcrossplatform compatibility and longevity?
speed is also of no importance to me. My own testing with yuden000T02 8X is that I get the best results ( scans of 1 year old disks burned at 8X are much the same as the day they were "born") at 8X or 12X. I would not dream of burning at lower speeds. when I did burn at lower speeds all I got was higher levels of errors being reported.
HarrySmiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #13
CDFreaks Resident
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,140
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ssy
Thanks for your replies.
To my suprise this forum has centered around high writing speeds, which some years ago was considered not to produce best results, that inspired me to open this thead.
Years ago both the media and the drives were still a very young technology, therefore both the industry and the users were still on a learning curve. This has leveled off a bit as the media and drives have improved, but the release of new firmwares to fix problems shows that the learning is still happening. Most modern and good quality 16x media can be burnt at much lower speeds without degredation of qaulity burning, though I think the same can't be said of the lower quality media.
JayC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #14
Senior Administrator & Reviewer
 
Arachne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tabby Towers, West of England
Posts: 33,938
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes
I'm confused as to why you created this thread, if you already have all the answers.
I'm a bit late quoting this, but I was thinking the same!
__________________
RIP Baz 8/1997-11/2013 - love ya buddy

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006   #15
WDA
CD Freaks Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 145
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

I agree that high speed seems better in most cases - for certain disks a quality scan of them burnt at 8x is much worse than one burnt at 16x.

Cheers
WDA
WDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006   #16
MyCE Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 33
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Thanks for your suggestions.
I found also some more answers to mu high speed DVD burning hesitations...

starting from Part 1 of 3

http://www.opticaldisc-systems.com/M...dableDVD44.htm
0ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006   #17
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 672
Re: is 4x writing speed still better then 12x or 16X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ssy
Thanks for your suggestions.
I found also some more answers to mu high speed DVD burning hesitations...

starting from Part 1 of 3

http://www.opticaldisc-systems.com/M...dableDVD44.htm
an article about ciba plasmon dye? this should be interesting, to say the least.

nothing there to suggest that high speed recording is inherently bad. part 2/3 seems to have more interesting topics.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BenQ DW1655 Minimum Writing and Reading Speed for CD-R is 12x Sebastian Mares BenQ / Philips Writer 9 03-06-2006 19:10
Why can 12x writing be faster than 16x writing. COPYCATT Asus / Pioneer Writer 0 22-10-2005 06:13
12x write speed is better than 16x alan1476 BenQ / Philips Writer 25 07-10-2005 13:32
16x,12x,8x,4x? what do they mean? jimmyplexed CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers 2 23-11-2004 14:11
Optimal Writing Speed: 12x (With a Plex) mkteku Blank Media 3 01-09-2002 02:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:29.
Top