Old 03-02-2007   #1
New on Forum

will convertx shrink avi files to fit 4.7 gb disc

if a film is over 2 hrs long will convertx reduce the size to fit dvd 5 when it is converting from avi to dvd so i can copy it in nero
jordychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: will convertx shrink avi files to fit 4.7 gb disc

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suggest you to do anyway the conversion with best quality, even if final file size is too large to fit on a single layer disc. Then you can use DVD Shrink to compress the DVD

Another option could be to split the movie into two parts, and create two separate DVDs.

And another option could be also to use a dual layer disc if your burner supports these media
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Hi,

Actually, ConvertXtoDVD will shrink it in theory.

Actually what it does, is calculate the maximum bitrate is can use, so the output will fit on a DVD5, then converts it using that bitrate.

Makes sence
cougar_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007   #4
New on Forum

Hi, I have an addition question - I was converting an avi/divx file down from ~700MB to fit on DVD. It was great picture quality - but there was no sound. Can someone explain to me what I have done wrong? What settings I may have to change!?!

Thanks.

This is getting really frustrating.

Tanru
Tanru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007   #5
CDFreaks Resident

Hi there,

BTW, v2.1.14 is the latest version.

Without a full converison log, we can't guess what happened.

Older version, the sound was probably VERY LOW,increase the sound on your TV alot.

*OR*

The input file has a DTS Audio stream ?
cougar_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009   #6
New on Forum

I have a couple questions on this topic. I'm trying to burn a TV series and I'm trying to put as many episodes as possible on as little amount of discs as possible. But I put 5 episodes into ConvertX (the actual files says in Windows says that the files equal 1.71GB but ConvertX says it's 4.47GB and I'm trying to burn them to a 4.7GB disc. Why is it doing that, and can I put 4.7GB of actual file size into ConvertX even though it says that the "media on disc is" like 11 or 12GB?

My second question is (it might have just been the discs I had) but I had some DVD-Rs and ConvertX would not burn whatsoever to those discs (don't know the brand, a friend gave them to me) but then I got some Memorex DVD+R and they work perfectly. Any ideas?

I really appreciate that help. Thanx.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

When CXD says it's 4.47GB, it is oversized and won't fit on a DVD5. The maximum size on a DVD5 is 4.37GB in computer's view. 4.7GB is marketing term. Read HERE to know more about DVD sizes.

Original file sizes have nothing to do whether they will fit on a DVD, it's the total playing time that matters. What does it say in the status bar of CXD? The more you put in, the lower the quality. Because your source is AVI, it is highly compressed, so when converting to DVD, which is not highly compressed, the output size will always be larger. With this said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
Why is it doing that, and can I put 4.7GB of actual file size into ConvertX even though it says that the "media on disc is" like 11 or 12GB?
No, you cannot. Since you want to squeeze as many episodes as possible, it's best that you use the "Low" quality setting for best output quality.

Here's the rule of thumb for best "quality" setting based on project length:
http://forums.vso-software.fr/post41357.html#41357

Quote:
My second question is (it might have just been the discs I had) but I had some DVD-Rs and ConvertX would not burn whatsoever to those discs (don't know the brand, a friend gave them to me) but then I got some Memorex DVD+R and they work perfectly. Any ideas?
You probably have low quality media. Use high quality media (Verbatim, TY) or whatever that your burner likes.
toaddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009   #8
New on Forum

The status bar at the bottom says:

4 videos ~ 2:57:05 - 3.8Gb on Media.

I'm just confused as to why it's expanding it so much now. I'm burning episodes of Charmed for my fiance, and that show is 44min, and I can only get 4 episodes per disc. When I burned her episodes of Project Runway which is the same amount of time and file size I could get like 6 or 7 episodes per disc.

Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it a lot.
Old 26-08-2009   #9
MyCE Resident

How good is the source quality? Did you use the "Low" quality setting?

Having the number of episodes that can fit on a disc also depend on the source quality, resolution, type of scenery, how compressed it is, and the most important factor is the playing time. If you can fit 6 or 7, be glad that you can.

Remember, the status bar only shows an estimate. You have to do the conversion to know the final file size when CXD does the in-depth analysis of the source files.

Read the referenced thread again on what settings to use if you want to squeeze many episodes, but I don't recommend you put in that much. The quality may not come out good. If you don't care about quality but on how many episodes you can squeeze, then by all means.
toaddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
The status bar at the bottom says:

4 videos ~ 2:57:05 - 3.8Gb on Media.

I'm just confused as to why it's expanding it so much now. I'm burning episodes of Charmed for my fiance, and that show is 44min, and I can only get 4 episodes per disc. When I burned her episodes of Project Runway which is the same amount of time and file size I could get like 6 or 7 episodes per disc.

Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it a lot.
Toaddub has given you solid and accurate information. I never even look at the status bar info. I base all on the total run time of the project. Again when toaddub refers to scenery I would use the amount of action as a further determining point about how many hours can be crammed on a DVD. More hours of no action talk shows can be crammed onto a single disc than a high action series. You also could take into consideration what size TV it will be viewed on.

That said if you were happy with your Project Runway DVD you should be able to get the same result with the same number of episodes with Charmed. But as high quality blanks can be had for 30ยข, four 44 minute episodes would be my upper limit.
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009   #11
New on Forum

Thank you to everybody that have helped me out I really appreciate it.