Don't freak out - the Android Market is now called Google Play

A software update this weekend transformed the Android Market into Google Play, putting the online giant's name front-and-center. The sudden switch likely caught many Android users by surprise. I know I had misgivings the first time I saw the new store pop up, asking me to sign off on new terms of service. Was this malware? A bad joke? Nope -- just the latest move by Google to consolidate its myriad services.

ADVERTISEMENT

Essentially, Google Play is intended to be a more cohesive downloading experience, bridging those shallow gaps between entertainment for both Android users and everyday web denizens who log into Gmail, check out the latest videos on YouTube and talk with friends on Google+. Think of it as Android Market+ -- an all-in-one online book store, music depot and app store.

"Google Play is entirely cloud-based so all your music, movies, books and apps are stored online, always available to you, and you never have to worry about losing them or moving them again," explained Jamie Rosenberg, director of digital content, in a post at the official Google blog.

The coalescence brings with it the ability to freely store 20,000 music tracks and places all previously downloaded content -- books, TV shows and gaming apps -- in their own respective locations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Google's decision was at least partly influenced by a second-place showing in apps. A study by Canalys deemed Android apps too pricey when compared to their iOS counterparts.

"That developers can apparently charge more for their apps on Android and make it into the top paid list is clearly a positive," noted Rachel Lashford, Canalys managing director. "But the reality is that with fewer people willing to purchase apps on Android than on iOS today, there is more of a necessity to do so."

We'll see if the shake-up can change that, drawing more consumers to the rival app store and potentially evening out prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Another hurdle for Google Play is that it's building off an app market that's more susceptible to malware attacks, and thus less trustworthy. One cyber crook published cloned versions of 13 popular apps, infecting thousands of unwitting victims with an SMS exploit. Just last month, a fake version of the iOS game "Temple Run" popped up in the now-defunct Android Market. These occurrences are far less common within Apple's more tightly-controlled app shop.

What do you think of the new name? Let us know in the comment section.

No posts to display