Old 25-08-2003   #1

Use multiple recorder option

Hi,
I haven't been able to figure out what the "use multiple recorder" check box option does on the burn tab of the New Comp. dialog box. Obviously, it is used when you are using 2 CDRW's (1 as source and 1 as recorder). But what does checking this option do? It seems to enable or disable track at once or disc at once. I haven't seen any performance improvements. Disc's still burn in about 2:35 min/sec. Plenty fast.

Thanks,

Shadowsports
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Use multiple recorder option

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowsports
Obviously, it is used when you are using 2 CDRW's (1 as source and 1 as recorder).
Nope, not so obvious I guess. The "Use Multiple Recorder" is a clue.

This option is for using two or more burners as recorders simultaneously to make multiple copies of the same source. The source is specified in the compilation info, not the burn dialog.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003   #3

Thanks

This is helpful. I have 3 CD drives in my config. One is standard CD, I'll use as the source. If I wanted to use both recorders to burn, does selecting the use multiple option tell Nero to use my other CDRW (drives) simultaneouly? Didn't see that in the documentation, FAQ or help files.

Right On!
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003   #4
Retired Moderator

It's generally only available in the Retail version. In order for it to work well, you need 2 burners that are very similar. If, for example, they burn in different strategies at the set speed, you will have buffer problems because Nero will try to feed them both at the same speed. I run into this when I try to burn to my 52327S and 52246S simultaneously on 24x RW media. One burns in CAV and the other in P-CAV, so at about 1/2 the way through the burn the buffer on the faster burner (7S) starts going crazy as Nero is feeding the data at the slower rate of the 6S drive.
Apart from that, it works great and does not usually require the burners to be on separate channels. Although if they are on the same channel, they need to be very similar drives.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003   #5
MyCE Resident

Re: Thanks

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowsports
This is helpful. I have 3 CD drives in my config. One is standard CD, I'll use as the source. If I wanted to use both recorders to burn, does selecting the use multiple option tell Nero to use my other CDRW (drives) simultaneouly? Didn't see that in the documentation, FAQ or help files.

Right On!
If the "Use Multiple Recorders" option is not selected, the burn is automatically sent to the default burner.

When the option is selected, both burners appear in the burn dialog. Either burner may be selected for a single burn by highlighting the burner. To activate both burners for multiple burning, hold down the Ctrl key and left click on each to highlight both burners.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2003   #6
CD Freaks Junior Member

I have four burners installed: a Plextor 48x24x48, two LG-Electronics 48x24x48-16DVDrom, and a Lite-On 48x24x48-16DVDrom. All have burn-proof of one type or another. Checking the "Use Multiple Burners" allows me to burn to all four CD-Burners at the same time. Burn speed is slowed though as feeding four burners takes more time. Also, it is not clear, but I was under the impression that the burn-proof gets turned-off when burning to several CDRW's at the same time

Some time ago, one of the Web sites posted an article on burning to three CDRW's, all different brands. It can be done. They did it. (Might have been the CD Freaks site that had the Article)

Problem is that lots of RAM is needed and a fast system. Believe 512Mb RAM and 2.0GHz Cpu was suggested. However, when using EIDE CDRW's, one will often get bad disks when trying to burn several CDs at once. The author of Feurio does not even recommend using EIDE CDRW's, and suggest using SCSI Burners only. If EIDE are to be used, he suggest that each be a primary on its ribbon cable

Nero uses different Serial Numbers to control the capability of Nero. The basic serial number allows burn two at once, I believe. There is another serial number that allows 3 burnings at once (and maybe up to 7 burnings at once). Still another Serial number allows up to 32 CDRW;s at once
John375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

When I try to record to multiple recorders, the recording speed automatically gets reduced to the write speed of the slowest writer.

If I choose only the 52x (LiteOn) writers, I have been able to write to two of the writers at 52x, without disabling smart burn, with no problems.
bawaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003   #8
New on Forum

can expert help me here?

i have 2 writer in 1 PC, i'll use both to read and write at the same time.

my writers are:

drive 1: maxell 48x24x48
drive 2: LG 48x24x48

can i use drive 1 to read the source disc and copy it to drive 1 destination while i'm also reading another source disc in drive 2 and copy it to drive 2 simultaneously?

how to do it? i tried nero 5.5 but it failed, gave me a buffer underrun.
derrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003   #9
MyCE Resident

You can start 2 sessions of Nero (if possible) and let drive 1 create an image of disc 1, and at the same time let drive 2 create an image of disc 2.

When both are finished you can burn with session 1 of Nero disc 1 on drive 1 and let session 2 of Nero burn disc 2 on drive 2.

But this only possible if you can run 2 sessions of Nero!!

The multiple recorder options is mostly ment to burn more then 1 copy of an image (not to burn multiple images at ones).
When you're little, what you really want is for grown-ups to make the world a safe place where dreams can come true and promises are never broken. And when you're little, it doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

Women might be able to fake orgasms.
But men can fake whole relationships.

New rig: Antec P182 Super Mid Tower, Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Kingston 4Gb 1066Mhz dual channel, MSI NX8800GTX OC Edition 768 MB, 4 x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW, NEC AD-7173S DVD-RW, NEC 3,5" diskdrive, Logitech X-540 speakers, Samsung TFT SyncMaster 245B, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 850Watt, dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista.
Namoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003   #10
New on Forum

ok..

i need to run 2 nero, then i need to create 2 separate IMG file then reburn these 2 separate image to 2 separate cd writer, right?

is there an easier way? can nero automatically do this for me so that i just need to insert the 2 source disc on both drive, then followed 2 destination disc on both drive
Old 30-10-2003   #11
MyCE Resident

Open 2 sessions and click at both sessions at copy disc.

That should do it.
When you're little, what you really want is for grown-ups to make the world a safe place where dreams can come true and promises are never broken. And when you're little, it doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

Women might be able to fake orgasms.
But men can fake whole relationships.

New rig: Antec P182 Super Mid Tower, Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz @ 3.0Ghz, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Kingston 4Gb 1066Mhz dual channel, MSI NX8800GTX OC Edition 768 MB, 4 x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, Asus DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW, NEC AD-7173S DVD-RW, NEC 3,5" diskdrive, Logitech X-540 speakers, Samsung TFT SyncMaster 245B, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 850Watt, dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista.
Namoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003   #12
New on Forum

i tried that... but was not successful.

first i had an IDE channel error message under nero, then i tried to change the temporary IMG path for the 2nd session to a different folder, it works...

but 1/2 way during copying, both sessions gave me buffer under run.
Old 30-10-2003   #13
Retired Moderator

The drives must be on separate IDE channels. Each instance of Nero will have to have the correct drive selected.
Also, your HD must be capable of reading and writing all this stuff at the same time, many are not.
Old 30-10-2003   #14
New on Forum

primary master -> harddisk
primary slave -> cd writer #1

secondary master -> cd writer #2
secondary slave -> none

both cd writer have DMA

now how do i know if the hard disc can read and write at the same time?
Old 30-10-2003   #15
Retired Moderator

It can't read and write at the same time, not possible. It has to execute all the read and write commands in sequence, and basically you are asking it to write 700MB to 2 separate locations at the same time, then read from both those locations at the same time while you're burning the discs. You might pull this off if the HD is on a PCI controller. Nero can run speed tests on the drive in preferences - cache, but the issue is not so much transfer rate as it is access times. Most likely, what you're seeing during your burn(s) is a steadily dropping read buffer. If you have 80MB of free RAM, you can set Nero to use 80MB of read buffer, which migh prolong the buffer drop, Other option is to reduce your burn speed(s).
Old 30-10-2003   #16
New on Forum

if i have 2 harddrives and put 2 IMG file on 2 different drives.. it should work ok now right?
Old 30-10-2003   #17
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by derrickk
if i have 2 harddrives and put 2 IMG file on 2 different drives.. it should work ok now right?
It might, but unless you get a PCI controller, the HD's will be sharing IDE with the burners, which might or might not work well.
Nero uses a cache location that will be the same for each instance that your have open, so if you're copying CD's, it will be writing both images to that location. If you use the Image Recorder instead of CD Copy function, you should be able to specify separate locations (drives) for the images, but you will have to manually burn the images then.
It might all be simpler and just as quick to just do CD to CD copies, one at a time.