Old 28-01-2007   #1
MyCE Member

TAO vs DAO question

Suppose I burn some files (avi, jpeg,..) to a CD-R with, for example, Nero. Would there be a difference if I used DAO (disc-at-once) instead of TAO (track-at-once)?

I'm curious.
Hitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #2
Retired Senior Moderator

Re: TAO vs DAO question

Nope no difference, TAO is just fine for burning data files as far as quality is concerned.

*Hemi HATES wallpapers AND pickles* ........ never forget that

*There is one thing more evil than pickles, and that is STATISTICS...*
Hemispasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #3
MyCE Member

So, just to be sure, no physical difference on the disc, for example lead-in/out position or something else?
Old 29-01-2007   #4
Retired Senior Moderator

No what i meant is that there's no concern as far as the data quality is concerned. In TAO mode there's a lead in/out at every track session if memory serves me right.

Old 29-01-2007   #5
Blown to smitherines

Damn! This goes back a long way .. for a moment, i thought someone had bumped an ancient thread!

Generally people use DAO, especially if there is only going to be a single Data track. Opens and closes the disc in one go. There's no reason you can't select TAO though. The burner will just use SAO or DAO anyway

Generally TAO was traditionally used for Audio, but DAO was the preferred method, as you can specify the audio gaps between tracks, and I vaguely remember that long gaps between audio tracks was compulsory on TAO, which caused (annoying) pauses between tracks when playing them in audio cd players.

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007   #6
Retired Senior Moderator

Quote:
Damn! This goes back a long way .. for a moment, i thought someone had bumped an ancient thread!
It does doesnt it

So yes if you want the audio tracks to be continuous/mixed with no gaps you have to use DAO, but when it comes to just data storage as hitokiri mentioned there's no reason why one should not use TAO, that was my initial point.

Old 29-01-2007   #7
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debro
Generally people use DAO, especially if there is only going to be a single Data track. Opens and closes the disc in one go. There's no reason you can't select TAO though. The burner will just use SAO or DAO anyway
So, for a normal data CD like I described, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was written in TAO or DAO?
Old 29-01-2007   #8
Retired Senior Moderator

you could by maybe looking on the back surface for each track's session, but other than that no.

Old 29-01-2007   #9
Blown to smitherines

If there is multiple data tracks on a TAO disc, then only the first data track is accessible, except by special software.

But as I replied before, burners won't write your Data disc in TAO, they will write it as SAO or DAO.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
Old 30-01-2007   #10
Retired Senior Moderator

TAO can only be written in SAO anyways, if memory serves me right.

Old 30-01-2007   #11
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debro
But as I replied before, burners won't write your Data disc in TAO, they will write it as SAO or DAO.
I know for a fact (sort of) there is some difference in the writing proces of a normal data disc between TAO and DAO in Nero. That's what got me wondering in the first place. If memory serves me, with DAO the lead-in/out are written in one go at the very start, as opposed to TAO which burns lead-in at the start and lead-out at the end.

According to this link, SAO also writes lead-in/out in one go.

So...I'm confused.

I've been using TAO for every data disc burned in Nero over the last 8 or so years, just because it was the default option in Nero. Just so you know why I'm being persistant.

edit: Well, when selecting TAO in NERO the option "Finalize disc" is available, so I suppose I am actually writing in SAO then? Ehh, I'm gonna burn some TAO and DAO discs to compare today..

Last edited by Hitokiri; 30-01-2007 at 16:22.
Old 30-01-2007   #12
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitokiri
If memory serves me, with DAO the lead-in/out are written in one go at the very start, as opposed to TAO which burns lead-in at the start and lead-out at the end.
It's just the other way around..
Old 31-01-2007   #13
Blown to smitherines

Something along the lines of ....

Tao = Disc Leadin -> Session Leadin -> Track ->Track -> track ->Track -> Close Session -> (if closing disc) Disc Leadout.

Sao = Disc LeadIn -> Session Leadin -> Track -> Close session -> (if closing disc) Disc Leadout.

Dao = Disc LeadIn -> Session Leadin -> Track -> Close session Disc leadout.

TAO turns the laser of between tracks, causing unreadable areas between tracks, which doesn't conform to the redbook standard (Commercial Audio CD's are not written in TAO either).

I'm not even sure why TAO was even ever offered
If you are using Adaptec/Roxio EZCD, they've offered TAO, when it was actually SAO

Old 31-01-2007   #14
MyCE Member

Okay, after reading the whole thread again and going through some websites and the Nero manual..I still don't get it. Sorry guys.

I think I know what tracks and sessions are, sort of. DAO writes all tracks in 1 go, TAO turns off the laser with each track..okay. But what happens with data discs with only one track? What is the difference THEN?

Here's what Nero does:

1) when selecting TAO: burn track -> burn lead-in/lead-out (at this point the drive first spins fast for a while, then slow for a while..so I think it burns something at the start AND end of the disc)
2) when selecting DAO: burn lead-in -> burn track -> burn lead-out

Does DAO turn off the laser between the leads and the track? I spent a dozen of discs (of 30MB) trying to figure it out.. It seems TAO does, but I'm not sure about DAO.
Is there a difference in the sequence of leads, track, session openings/closures...you know in this case of a one-track data disc?

Btw, 1) doesn't seem to fit in your diagram debro?

Sorry for the long-winded discussion, but I'd really like to understand.
Old 31-01-2007   #15
Blown to smitherines

Quote:
Does DAO turn off the laser between the leads and the track?
No.
Quote:
Is there a difference in the sequence of leads, track, session openings/closures...you know in this case of a one-track data disc?
Burning software is intelligent enough to close the session for you, otherwise the data track will be inaccessible.
It's using SAO/DAO to write the data track, depending on whether you close the disc or not

Quote:
Btw, 1) doesn't seem to fit in your diagram debro?
Read above.

Old 31-01-2007   #16
MyCE Member

Okay I'm starting to understand it better..

SAO = DAO without finalization. TAO doesn't necessarily mean closing the session but in this case it's done automatically to create a session for a possible multisession disc. So, essentialy it's not really TAO but SAO. Right?

But I think TAO here is just writing a SAO disc that gets finalized in the end, not really DAO because the laser is turned off after writing the track to go to the beginning of the disc for the lead-in, and then the end for the lead-out. Could that be correct?

Last edited by Hitokiri; 31-01-2007 at 18:46.
Old 31-01-2007   #17
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemispasm
No what i meant is that there's no concern as far as the data quality is concerned. In TAO mode there's a lead in/out at every track session if memory serves me right.
Track At Once is useful for multi session and DIsc at Once is useful for single session, or cd audio single session and the laser writes the entire disc without shutting off between every track.
greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote