Old 01-03-2002   #1
New on Forum

Media is not writable error???

Hi to all,
I am using Nero 5.5.7.2 under WindowsXP and when I try to make a CD or copy a CD, I get an error message saying that the Media is not writable. Could anybody help me overcome this error?
TIA

Emin IPEK
mimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002   #2
MyCE Resident

Some possible causes for the error:

The media has already been written to and closed. It isn't possible to write to it again.

The media is incompatible with the burner. Try a different brand.

You are trying to use an a CDR created especially for audio. Some burners can't write to this type of CDR.
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002   #3
New on Forum

1- The media is empty. Not used before.
2- I have two brands of CDRs, Creation and Traxdata Gold. Both of them give error.
3- Last time I had installed ECDC and WinOnCD and these programs did not give any error while Nero gave. This time I installed a fresh XP and I did not install these programs as I do not want to use too many programs and I stubbornly want to get Nero working. But if I do not find a solution I will have to uninstall Nero.
4- Should I turn off the CD Burning capability of XP but I do not know how?
Old 02-03-2002   #4
MyCE Resident

If you want to try disabling the native WinXP CD burning, go to Nero and XP Pro...CDrw Drive Tray locks... and follow the disabling instructions described by itzbinnice.
Old 03-03-2002   #5
New on Forum

nothing changed. I disabled the Imapi Cd Writing service of XP, I installed so many ASPI drivers, I tried different brands of CDRs.

And by the way, I tried VOB Instant CD and it worked perfectly. Copying CDs or making data disks or packet writing with Instanr write was with no problem.

But still I would like to get Nero work.
Old 04-03-2002   #6
MyCE Resident

If this problem started after installing VOB Instant CD/DVD, you should be aware that VOB will detect the Nero driver file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\Nerocd95.vxd and offer to disable the file. From the VOB popup warning box:

Quote:
One or more programs for CD writing have been
installed on this system.
Some of the programs installed device drivers
that endanger the functionality of this program.
Do you want to remove these device drivers?
The only catch is that the program and file causing the "functionality endangerment" is not revealed. So then you are left with an possible impairment to Nero.

Look and see if this file has been renamed. If so, correct the file extension and reboot. Let us know if the Nero error message still appears.
Old 04-03-2002   #7
New on Forum

No no no, nothing like that. When I had problem with Nero last time when I had installed and uninstalled so many Cd writing programs, I formatted my HD and installed a fresh winXP and tried Nero but could not copy or make any data CD.
When I tried VOB InstantCD I had uninstalled Nero.
Old 04-03-2002   #8
New on Forum

By the way, under window or windows/system directory there is no iosubsys directory at all and no nerocd95.* file anywhere in my HD. I use WinXP.
Old 04-03-2002   #9
New on Forum

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem with Nero 5572 and 5564... I'm running win2K and get the same error. Let me know if you get a fix, I'll keep trying myself and will post here if I sort it.

Cheers

Joe
Joe_Blobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002   #10
New on Forum

Nero had worked before. I had problem with InCD. Now InCD works but Nero does not.
There is one difference from last time. I had formatted my HD in Fat 32 and I formattes it in NTFS this time. But this should not cause any problem. Or should it?
Old 04-03-2002   #11
MyCE Resident

According to the Nero Help Tool, this error is caused when a CDR formatted for packet writing is in the drive. See This cd is not writable. Please insert a writable cd

If you are using new blank unformatted disks and receiving this error, I would suspect some interference from InCD or other packet writing drivers which may be causing the disk type to be misinterpreted.

I would first uninstall any UDF reader application that is installed in Add / Remove Programs and reboot. If that doesn't help, I would then uninstall InCD and reboot. There shouldn't ever be more than one packet writing program installed, or a conflict is sure to occur.

If you try this, let us know if makes a difference.
Old 05-03-2002   #12
New on Forum

Haven't got InCD installed or any other CD software...

well... at least at first anyway.. I now have Discjuggler installed but I had this problem b4 that anyway..

the only thing I have different is also that my filesystem is NTFS but don't see how that would make a difference...
Joe_Blobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002   #13
MyCE Resident

Joe_Blobb

It's an eye-opener that both you and mimar are both using NTFS. It seems particularly relevant considering that his Nero installation worked fine with FAT32 until he converted to NTFS.

It raises the question of a possible Nero bug in working with NTFS. If one of you has a lot of time on his hands and doesn't mind converting to FAT32, it would be an interesting experiment.
Old 05-03-2002   #14
New on Forum

I tried once again, I uninstalled everything, with no CD writing program in my computer at all, I installed NERO and received the same error.

I do not have a lot of time but I will reformat my HD and try NERO again.

I will inform you of the result, but it will take some time, maybe two days.
Old 06-03-2002   #15
New on Forum

No result. I formatted my HD in Fat 32 file system and before installing anything else I installed Nero 5.5.7.8 but it still gives the same error.
Maybe my CD Writer is too old, it is HP 7200 (external) and more than 4 years old)
I give up.
Old 06-03-2002   #16
MyCE Resident

Don't give up, help is on the way.

After learning what type of drive you are using, it is not supported in WinXP without special HP drivers. HP also has free burning software to go with it, Record Now and DLA (packet writing). These are Prassi clones, which is good software.

You can download the drivers and software at hp cd-writer plus external 7200e drive drivers and downloads.

I hope that this works for you and you are happy again.
Old 06-03-2002   #17
New on Forum

Unfortunately
I know and I downloded HP drivers for XP long ago, otherwise I could not have seen my CD Writer at all for other burning programs also.
I tried recordNow, it is a very simple program and I tried DLA software and it did not work. It is also interesting, HP software does not work on HP CD Writer
Let me give up now, pls
Old 06-03-2002   #18
MyCE Resident

OK, give up now.

Buy a new burner and then you'll be happy.
Old 06-03-2002   #19
New on Forum

My friend has exactly the same problem.

She has a liteon 1602B and the same error in
windows 98 as well as windows XP.

However, after fiddeling A LOT in the user interface and doing nothing interesting in particular it happened twice that the cd suddenly was writeable and the cd was then actually written correctly.

So it is probably a nero bug. It's a shame it's not solved in the new version.
kylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002   #20
New on Forum

Thanks for your information, I will keep up checking new versions
Old 07-03-2002   #21
New on Forum

Just one more thing.

Try another burn program. We tried easy cd-creator and that doesn't give that error.
kylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002   #22
New on Forum

I have been using ECDC since I bought my HP CD Writer but after upgrading to WindowsXP, ECDC itself worked but DirectCD did not work. I use DCD to use my CDRWs like floppy disks: That is to say I need a burning program having Packet Writing utility.

HP produced DLA (Direct Letter Access) software but it did not work also. If it had worked I could use ECDC w/o DCD.

At first InCD had not worked but the latest version works. Unfortunately this time Nero itself does not work. And I am afraid to use InCD along with ECDC as everybody says Roxio Softwares and Ahead Softwares do not like each others.

Finally VOB InstantCD/DVD worked in every way. But I do not know this company and its software if they are good or not. Some say not good some say it is a professional software used especaially for multiple copying.

Today I learned that ECDC 5.1 was released and it does not need any opatch or update to work under WindowsXP and I am trying to download it.

Well, the life is hard
Old 08-03-2002   #23
MyCE Resident

The Roxio and Nero incompatibilty story is not true, especially with the later versions. The only thing to remember is never to have more than one packet writing software installed.

I have most major burning software installed in the same partition with one operating system (Win98SE). No problems or conflicts.

Then again, I don't use WinXP. 95% of the problems I see are with WinXP users, where WinXP is using them.
Old 08-03-2002   #24
New on Forum

It is correct. Even under WindowsME I had no problem at all. I did not have more than one Packet Writer at all, it is nonsense and useles anyway as one packet writing software can not read CDRWs perfectly formatted by anotherthe packet writing software. On the other hand I had even three burning programs installed in the same partition and all worked perfectly.
But as we are MS slaves, we have to follow the upgrades. Can you imagine you still use Win 3.1 or even Win95? Today or tomorrow, everybody will have to leave older versions. I prefer to face it as earlier as possible.
Old 08-03-2002   #25
MyCE Resident

I just tried out my new moderator powers to edit the spelling for you, and then deleted your post explaining and correcting the error. It was mainly just to practice.

Yes, we have to follow the MS upgrades, but I prefer to face it as late as possible. The people who think they are WinXP users are actually beta testers paying full retail for the opportunity to debug the program by reporting its conflicts and failures. I don't need the frustration.

I prefer to stay with an operating system that has been debugged and proven to be stable. The programs that I use all the time are the latest versions. If I install WinXP, it will be on another computer just as a test bed that I don't have to depend on.