Old 19-09-2007   #1
MyCE Resident

DVD Flick - A Basic Guide

DVD Flick: A Basic guide

What is DVD Flick?

Quote:
DVD Flick aims to be a simple but at the same time powerful DVD Authoring tool. It can take a number of video files stored on your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom audio tracks as well as subtitles of your choice.

Supported file container formats are, amongst others, AVI, MPG, MOV, WMV, ASF, FLV, Matroska and MP4. Supported codecs are amongst others, MPEG-1\2\4 (XVid, DivX, etc.), Windows Media Audio\Video. MP3, OGG Vorbis, H264, and On2
VP5\6. For a full list of supported container, audio and video formats, see http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC20

DVD Flick is Open Source, meaning that anyone can download and view or modify the program's source code. It also means that it is absolutely free of charge. Several external programs are used by DVD Flick to do the dirty work like encoding and combining of video material. All of these programs are free, some are Open Source too.

If you have a question, want to read the FAQ, report a bug or tell me about your favourite pet, feel free to post in the Forums. If you want to view more information, or download older releases, please visit DVD Flick's SourceForge
project page.

If you like DVD Flick, any donations are welcome to be made through the SourceForge.net donation system. I will personally make sure to enjoy the beers so generously offered.
Where do you get it?

DVD Flick -> http://www.dvdflick.net/

Download and open the setup wizard and follow the prompts to install DVD Flick on your PC.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

Open DVD Flick and choose ADD TITLE, browse to the file(s) that you want to encode and burn onto a DVD.

Embedded Images

When the title has been imported into the queue double click it to edit general settings particular to this project. These settings are pretty straight forward and self explanatory, but here is a brief walk through anyway.

General Settings:

Under the General settings tab you choose how you want DVD Flick to create chapter on your project as well as the aspect ratio of the film.

Embedded Images

Video Settings:

Add more clips or remove unwanted clips under the Video Settings tab. You can also reorder clips if dealing with multiple files.

Embedded Images

Audio Settings

Remove unwanted audio tracks here if there is more than one available.

Embedded Images

Subtitle Settings:

Add, Edit and Remove subtitle files under the Subtitle tab.

When you are satisfied with the changes you have made to your project, click Accept.

Click the Project Settings radio button to access DVD Flick quality, audio, video and burn settings. Once altered these settings should become default. It is a good idea to go through them so that you can tweak the program the way you want it to operate.

The General settings tab:

Embedded Images

Select the default project size you would like to use. In the drop down menu for "Target Size" there are several default options depending on what type of disc or file you are going to make. For this guide I will be encoding to a single layer DVD. I prefer a custom size of 4400MB, this will prevent me from burning too close to the edge of the DVD. In the drop down menu for target size choose "custom" and type in 4400 in the window below the drop down.

You can also choose the priority of the encoding. Encoding is very CPU intensive and therefore multitasking isn't recommended, but if you need to set the priority to a lower level so that you can preform other basic tasks while DVD Flick encodes your project you can make that assertion here.

The Video tab:

Embedded Images

Target format - for the US is NTSC and for Europe is PAL. These are the different frame rates that are found around the globe. It is important to know what is used in the region that you live in or the video produced may not be viewable on a standalone player.

Encoding profile - This is the speed setting for encoding. Faster = less accurate and slower = more accurate thus resulting in a higher quality output.

Target Bitrate - Higher bitrate = higher quality and lower bitrate = lower quality.

Click the Advanced button:

Embedded Images

These are additional quality settings that most average users will not use. If an explanation is needed please press the blue ï" and DVD Flick will give a brief explanation on these settings.

Audio:

Embedded Images

Here you can select a default audio track...I prefer AC3 5.1 because it is widely accepted and is downmixable on most systems to 2 channel when not viewing in stereo. Leaving this set to Auto is just fine though.

Burning:

Embedded Images

If you use Imgburn as your favorite burning application you will want to tick "Create ISO image" and DVD Flick will create an ISO for easy burning with Imgburn. If this box is left unticked, DVD Flick will produce a VIDEO_TS folder which can be burned using Imgburn via build mode or Nero or your favorite burning application.If you want DVD Flick to automatically open Imgburn when the encoding is finished tick the "burn project to disc" box. If you prefer to burn manually leave this option unticked.

Disc Label will allow you to name your project.

Drive: Choose the drive you want DVD Flick to open when the encoding is finished. The chosen drive will need to have a blank disc inserted before encoding is finished so that the file can be burned.

If you are using RW discs tick the "Automatically erase disc if it is rewritable" option. This will erase any data that is found on the disc before writing the new files to it.

"Delete ISO image after burning" - This option will delete the ISO image when the burn is complete to save room on HDD if needed. I prefer to delete my own files in case I want to make additional copies in the future.

When you are satisfied with the settings and changes you have made click Accept.

You should now be ready to begin encoding your project, so create a destination folder and click "Create DVD".

Embedded Images

...Sit back and wait on your nice shiney new movie to pop out of the drive. Encoding times will vay based on your settings and the speed of your system as well as some other variables such as multitasking and internet usage.

Embedded Images

Enjoy!
LOCOENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD Flick - A Basic Guide

I have been using flick for almost a year now, it seems to be getting better and better.
I have found it to be consistent in hitting the desired target size and handling audio very well. It's never gone over 4400MB. Switching to low priority mode on the fly allows a little light multitasking even with a single core cpu. If your source is higher quality try to stay around 2 hours of video, you can go up to almost 3 hours on average video. The last few months all my tests have stayed in synch very well.
I always save to the hard drive and burn manually so I can check flick's output every now and then or be able to burn more than one copy. Keep an eye on the target drive tho as it tends to get heavily fragmented.

Also double check any pal/ntsc setting after upgrading. The program is really a "work in progress", but a wonderful one.
Old 20-09-2007   #3
MyCE Resident

I've noticed the HDD being very fragmented too....but I think any kind of heave lifting as such would fragment a drive too. I'm happy with flick too, great free tool.
Old 20-09-2007   #4
MyCE Resident

when I have 2 700MB avi's I do each individually and set target to 2300MB on an extra drive

I then reauthor with shrink and can edit if I want to

It takes a couple of extra minutes if writting to a seperate drive

These files will not be fragmented if you have enough space
Old 20-09-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

So you don't use VirtualDubMod to join the two avi's?
Old 20-09-2007   #6
MyCE Resident

I don't mind 2 titles, there is a slight pause when playing

a while back the power kept kicking and it always seemed to be right before a conversion was finished

after it happened twice in a row I decided to do the longer conversions this way
Old 20-09-2007   #7
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

Thanks LOCOENG This is a more of a guide than pay apps. Meaning some pay apps have no guide. You pics are small in some places but i have 22" monitor.

I will try this app sometime. I have had it downloaded for sometime now with updated versions.

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007   #8
MyCE Resident

@chewy

You should try VDM, it is only about a 3 minutes step and the playback is seemless...but I can understand your power issue.

@rolling56

Some of the pics in the middle of the guide are small, but when I first made up the guide they were huge, I resized them twice to get a decent looking guide and this was the best it got.
Old 26-02-2008   #9
New on Forum

Hello Everyone. I Have A Question. I have been using dvdflick for about 3 months works great. I was just wondering i have several avi movies in ac3 audio format. i tried to burn one to dvd and the audio was seemed to be speed up or high pitched. if anyone can tell me how to fix this great. also i burn with imageburn. so thanks if anyone can tell me this ive been tryin to get these movies off my computer for over two months.
DjSteveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

Way to go LOCOENG, good job.
beef barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #11
MyCE Die Hard

LOCO strikes again.

Nice guide bro!

...and shepards we shall be...

"I'm not me, i don't exist. There used to be a me, but i had it surgically removed."
7thSinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008   #12
MyCE Resident

Old 21-04-2008   #13
New on Forum

Help - DVD Flick created a 60 gig monster

Perhaps someone could tell me what I've done wrong. I double checked all my settings and don't see where the problem could be. Here's what happened:

-added a 698 MB .avi to a new project.....it was the sole title

-chose to just make an ISO, so I could burn later

-normal encoding with second pass

-video encoding seemed to be going fine

-same with audio encoding, although it was taking a bit longer than I expected, especially since I'm using a Core 2 Quad

-the combining started, and went on and on....decided to catch a nap, and was horrified to see the combining still going on at the 8 hour mark

-decided to check the project destination folder to see what was going on....the video file seemed normal at just under 4 gig, but I was shocked to see it had made a 50 GIG AC3 file!! This was my first try, and I really wasn't sure if something was going wrong or not, but I suspected it was, since the project initially told me about 10 gig of space would be required.

-The combined file was approaching the sum of the audio and vid files, so I figured I should at least wait until it reached that point.

-Somewhere around the 55-56 gig mark of the combined file, it finally went to authoring stage....about 15 minutes short of 9 hours at this point.

-I could see it was making the dvd folder that contains the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files.....figured when that folder reached around 4 and a half gig that it would finalize....well, it continued growing to about 7.2 gig when the following error occurred:

erflow at pack 27239843 by 39515725.54ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239844 by 39515631.17ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239845 by 39515568.79ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239846 by 39515474.42ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239847 by 39515412.04ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239848 by 39515317.67ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239849 by 39515223.30ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239850 by 39515160.92ms
INFO: !tcfound audio PTS underflow at pack 27239851 by 39515066.55ms
*** Multiplexing: 99% - 66510812 of 67182638 A/V units. 99%

INFO: 13971556 audio 1 underflows (SCR >= PTS)
INFO:
INFO: NOTE: The resulting file may not play back correctly.
INFO: Try increasing the mux rate.
INFO: Finished multiplexing C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\DVD\title0.mpg
*** Multiplexing: 100% - 67182638 of 67182638 A/V units. 100%

-The only option was to close at that point, and it obviously didn't finish authoring, let alone finalize. Even if it had finished, would I have had a burnable file? The 50G+ files have me totally confused. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Spungehead
spungehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008   #14
New on Forum

I was wondering how I can burn a football game burning one half on one disk and the second half on the second disk? Since the DVD only holds 2 hours and the game is over two and a half. Is there any way I can set this up to know when the first half is over and stop the burning in order to insert the second DVD? thanks for any help...
JumperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008   #15
New on Forum

I'm brand new at this so forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask a question, but...

I downloaded DVDFlick. Followed your excellent instructions. Successfully burned a PAL DVD to a disc that played on my standard American dvd player. It looks and sounds fine. But I don't have the menu or the commentary track. Did I miss a step?

Thanks
chillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009   #16
New on Forum

Jumper, You can either select dual layer in the menu and burn it all on 1 dual layer disc, or just create an iso file and then shrink it to a normal disc size with dvdshrink. 2.5 hrs. isn"t that big, actually, it seems like it would fit without any modifications anyway, wouldn't it? In any event, I just burned a 5 hr. MasterCam Tutorial on one normal disk with Nero.
ggilbert76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009   #17
New on Forum

I'm a bit unclear, but if you're just trying to copy a disc, you should use something else like dvdshrink and IMGburn. Then you will get the same menus, etc. as the original. DVD Flick is for creating DVDs from files you download, or upload from a vidcam or something like that.
ggilbert76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012   #18
MyCE Rookie

Thanks guys you have been helpful, but i am still having trouble with the audio part of my movie making. The images look great but the sound is still very bad.. Help Please
SpoiledBarbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012   #19
MyCE Rookie

@Chewy & @Locoeng, I have found your help very use full. But i am still having trouble making movies with dvd flick. The images look great but the sound skips freezes and just sounds bad. I followed your easy to use guide, and everything looked good until i played it on the dvd player and the sound was horrible.I read that if my laptop isnt dual core processor it cant make movies. Someone anyone please help ive wasted 23 dvd+r/cd-r and its always just the sound!!!! Could it be my laptop???
SpoiledBarbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012   #20

Your message was the first here since 2009, so I expect everyone has gone off doing other things, unfortunately (since I had a question, too!)...

Mike.
mjcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012   #21

Hiya, I've burnt 2 films to DVD using DVD Flick but the sound on both films is slightly behind the picture making them look like they have been dubbed over lol. I was wondering if there is something I can do to fix it....maybe a setting that needs changing. Thanks, Rachel x
Rachieishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012   #22
MyCE Resident

@ Rachieishere , If you have already burned the DVD Folders to DVD R disc then they are write once & closed.
DVDFlick has a minor Audio setting that might help but it could even make the problem worse. The setting is "Ignore audio delay for this track" . You need to add the A/V file then Edit/Audio tracks/ Edit , Check the box for "Ignore audio delay for this track".
If you do you rips to a harddrive then you should test them on a player like VLC player to see how the Audio sounds.

AviDemux can change the audio delay you might try it if fixing this is important to you. There are other softwares that can do the same.

A final note DVDFlick does not burn . It uses ImgBurn to burn . If you burned starit to a DVD disc it means you have set DVDflick to automatically use ImgBurn.
Old 04-12-2012   #23

hi
not sure if this is right thread to post this but i have a problem with dvd flick
i made a dvd and it works in my friends xbox but when i try to use it on my windows 8 system it just shows as two folders ,one with sound and one video
in the video file there are movie parts and they play with sound but they are in parts .which is a pain
is there a guide to show how to make one continues file that plays automaticly
kubepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #24
Administrator

kubepug
DVDFlick should produce dvd-video as its output. This means it will have an empty Audio_TS folder and a Video_TS folder with vob, bup and ifo files within.

To play the entire dvd video as a continuous feed, get VLC media player. Once installed, click Media at the top left of the window in VLC, then Open Folder. Navigate to the Video_TS folder made with DVDFlick, and play your video.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #25
MyCE Resident

@ kubepug , A very short guide:
Use DVDShrink . In Edit/Preferences/ Output Files
Uncheck "Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks" .
Then Select "Backup!" . Make the settings you want .
I think that is " Select backup target" "Hard disk folder" .
Then OK.

@ Kerry , Your way works also but the kubepug wanted a "continuous file" .

I don't know if Windows8 WMP will do this but you may be able to just open the main movie .ifo file .