Old 02-06-2006   #1
Banned

ConvertXtoDVD Guide: AVI DivX XviD MPG to DVD with menu, subtitles

This guide describes how to convert and burn video formats such as DivX, Xvid, AVI, WMV, MOV, VOB, MPEG, MP4, DV, 3GP, mkv, tivo, MPG to a standalone playable DVD with a few steps using VSO ConvertXtoDVD, a great video converter and DVD creator program. I think it will be helpful to ConvertXtoDVD fans here.

Guide: Convert DivX, Xvid, AVI, WMV, MPG to DVD
1. Download ConvertXtoDVD, install and launch.
Tip: The software supports many different languages including English, Finnish, Dutch, French, German, Arabic, Italian, Japanese, Spanish etc. You can select your native lauguage by clicking "Settings -> Lauguage".

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Tip: From "Window" menu, you can add "Video Preview", "Information" or "Log" to the interface.

2. Browse "File -> Add video file" to add the file(s) you'd like to convert.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

Menu: You can customize background image, set title font and items font, Change the title name from "My DVD" to what you like, etc. From "Video Preview" window, you will immediately see the effects you are setting.

Embedded Images

Add subtitles: You can add separate subtitles in your DVD video, right-click "subtitle (0 stream)" and choose "Add Subtitle channel". The program supports STR subtitles and SUB & IDX combination. If you can not add subtitles successfully, please check whether your subtitle file and your video file are in the same folder and give them the exact same name keeping only the extension. For example, in "My movies" folder, there is cartoon.avi and cartoon.srt.
Add chapters: You can also add custom chapter point by right-clicking "Chapter (0 entry)" and select "Add chapter".
Change Menu text: Double-click "Menu text" to rename.

3. Click "Convert" button to start the conversion.

4. You need to use the "Burn result to DVD" option to burn the DVD, or burn it manually. Select "Action -> Burn DVD", choose the VIDEO_TS folder in your working directory. Insert a blank DVD+R(W) or DVD-R(W) in your drive and burning should start automatically in 15 seconds.

Embedded Images

Done! Just so easy to convert and burn video files to DVD.

More optional settings before converting
Set working directory: Browse "Settings -> General" to configure where the ready-to-be-burned DVD files will be placed.

Set NTSC & PAL mode: If "Video Standard" is set to "Automatic" in "TV Format" tab, then ConvertXtoDVD will apply the same standard according to your source file. If your source file's Frame Rate is 23.976 or 29.700, it is NTSC. And if it's 25.00, it's PAL. If you want to all your burned DVDs to be PAL or NTSC, just make one as a default Video Standard.

Set Fullscreen & Widescreen: Click "Settings -> TV Format" and set "TV Screen" to "Automatic", "4:3" or "16:9".

Burn DVD directly: If you want to burn DVD immediately after converting, please check "Burn result to DVD" in "Burning" tab. Here, you can also set burning speed slower in order to avoid those annoying errors that are common when burning faster.

Quality and Speed: In "Encoding" tab, If you like the burned DVDs' video and audio quality will be as high as possible, please select "High quality / Slow encoding" from "Encoding quality/speed". In fact the converting speed is not slow at all. Certainly, if you think the speed is the most important factor, use the "Low quality / slow encoding" option.

Embedded Images

Burn to DVD9 (8.7GB) or DVD5 (4.3GB): As usual, keep the default "DVD-5" no change. If you have many video files to convert or the videos are very long, please choose "DVD-9" from "Target size" in "Encoding" tab. Note: A DVD5 disk can carry over 2 hours of converted video with high quality.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by H3rB3i; 26-04-2007 at 12:49. Reason: link corrected
Old 07-06-2006   #2
VSO Software

Re: ConvertXtoDVD Guide: AVI DivX XviD MPG to DVD with menu, subtitles

Very nice! Thanks very much
Old 22-06-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

I currently have a lot of .mkv files and was looking for a good quality product to convert that stuff to divx (since my dvd player can handle divx but not mkv).
Thank you for the tutorial!
Old 26-07-2006   #4
New on Forum

This didn't work for me

I was trying to get subs to work! I have the movie file, with the subs different in a .sub format. They have the same name and are compatible with each other because it works on the computer, but not when I burned it

here is an img:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2512/biengc9.jpg

On the menu my subs display as (1 Stream) so this should mean I have my subs activated, does it not? [Check img. Note: Edited for the innocent]

But when I convert it doesn't show up. Also I can edit the subtitle options, and by default the "Relative posistion of subtitle text bottom" is 90%, do I need to change that or something?
Old 26-07-2006   #5
J J
MyCE Senior Member

Too many possibilities - first check your DVD player, it has button "subtitles" or similar. Press that while movie is playing.
Old 26-07-2006   #6
New on Forum

^Right, it worked but I didn't you could chose to display them or not. I figured it was automatically 'embedded' into the movie, because that's the impression I got. Although the subs were from an external source, I guess this makes sense. Thanks.

...Now all I need to do is wait to get a REAL DVD player that supports Divx because my PS2 sucks for playing burnt DVDs!
Old 26-07-2006   #7
J J
MyCE Senior Member

Hmm.. cheap DivX players are available, but usually quality of decoding DivX is inferior to converted DVD. Some players stutter when scene has lots of movement and sound etc.
So unless you like to save diskspace and store movies as DivX, it is better to convert them to DVD and watch them that way.
Old 26-07-2006   #8
New on Forum

Yup that's what I usually do. Actually convert the movie to DVD (vidoe_ts folder etc) but my PS2 only plays certain DVDs and choses not to play others, which annoys me. I ment that the original files (before conversion) use DivX codec and my PS2 is picky with almost all my burnt DVDs.
Old 27-07-2006   #9
aff
New on Forum

I have done all that, and copied three movies mpeg4 to dvd with no problems at all.
But I have tried three more mpeg4 and the sound is the problem. the music in the back ground is very slow like playing a 45 record at 33, and there is no sound from their voices.
I have played these mpeg4 on the PC and there is no problems at all.
Attached Images

Old 27-07-2006   #10
J J
MyCE Senior Member

Those originals are probably using non-standard coding, like using AC3 sound below 48KHz.
CxD usually copies AC3 tracks with no changes - so if that track is not proper AC3 then there will be problems.
Old 05-09-2006   #11
New on Forum

I am a newbie. This is my first inquiry. Very desperate to get the subtitle on the Double Life of Veronica. Followed all directions; it shows 2 subtle streams, but when it was burned, no subtitle.
I used Panasonic DVD player, Taiyo Yuden dvd disc.
Can anyone help? Much appreciation and many thanks.
Old 05-09-2006   #12
VSO Software

Hi,

I think you just need to hit the subtitle button on your remote control.
Old 14-09-2006   #13
New on Forum

I hve been making DVD movies using avi(DIVX format) files.
I run into following problems
1.) ConvertXtoDVD does not allow audio file to be added to menu page? Like DVD-Lab
2.) Also, when you do the conversion, it creates folder name as per the first video file. And that by default becomes the main DVD title when burned on the DVD. Shouldn't it take main Menu title rather than 1st video file's name as Main DVD title.
Old 14-09-2006   #14
J J
MyCE Senior Member

1.) Menu is not accepting any fancy stuff yet.No music.
2.) You can change title name and each movie title name before burning.
Old 16-09-2006   #15

im using convert x to dvd when choosing the menu the title and background (clouds) apply ok then convert the menu dosent show when playing the dvd why? can someone help me to correct this problem thanks in advance
Old 16-09-2006   #16
New on Forum

Have been trying to convert avi files to dvd to watch on tv. Somehow, dont know why, convertxtodvd crashes and entire pc has to be rebooted. Any ideas why this is so? Its rather annoying. Yesterday it reached nearly 90% and crashed.
Old 17-09-2006   #17
J J
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep661
im using convert x to dvd when choosing the menu the title and background (clouds) apply ok then convert the menu dosent show when playing the dvd why? can someone help me to correct this problem thanks in advance
Deselect "Autoplay" from settings.
Old 18-09-2006   #18

Set NTSC & PAL mode: If "Video Standard" is set to "Automatic" in "TV Format" tab, then ConvertXtoDVD will apply the same standard according to your source file. If your source file's Frame Rate is 23.976 or 29.700, it is NTSC. And if it's 25.00, it's PAL. If you want to all your burned DVDs to be PAL or NTSC, just make one as a default Video Standard.

I set the Video Standard to NTSC as I've done in pevious versions of the software but the software converts everything to PAL.

I then set the default to AUTMATIC and the DVD came out PAL.

I read the LOG and the log says PAL was set by USER.

The only reason I updated the software was to put subtitles to The Da Vinci Code.
Old 18-09-2006   #19

I discovered what the problem is with PAL/NTSC.

It's the SUBTITLES. Even if you don't choose to add SUBTITLES ... if the SUBTITLES are in the same dir ... VSO ConvertXtoDVD 2 will produce the TV Standard of the SUBTITLES.

This is true unless there are SUBTITLES. Even if you don't choose SUBTITLES ... remove the SUBTITLES from the dir where the DivX files are.

I had The Da Vinci Code DivX files .... when I watched the movie ... a few significant parts was in FRENCH so I had no clue of what was being said so I downloaded another set of DivX files which had SUBTITLES.

Now the DivX files were in the PAL format.

I had Set NTSC as my "Video Standard" in "TV Format".

I did the conversion and the output DVD was PAL. After a few tries I thought maybe the SUBTITLES was my problem cause I never included SUBTITLES before.

Well I didn't include SUBTITLES and the output was still PAL and the LOG said PAL was set by the USER. H*LL I knew I had set NTSC.

Well next I moved the SUBTITLES to a diff dir then where I had the DivX files.

Well everything worked except I had "NO" SUBTITLES.

So the instructions written above only works if the SUBTITLES are the same as the TV Format standard you choose. In my case I selected NTSC as my output format but when I included PAL SUBTITLES ... the logic in VSO ConvertXtoDVD 2 "FORCED" the output to be the same as the SUBTITLES and the log states that the change was set by the USER if the USER selects SUBTITLES.

The instructions should read:

Set NTSC & PAL mode: If "Video Standard" is set to "Automatic" in "TV Format" tab, then ConvertXtoDVD will apply the same standard according to your source file. If your source file's Frame Rate is 23.976 or 29.700, it is NTSC. And if it's 25.00, it's PAL. If you want to all your burned DVDs to be PAL or NTSC, just make one as a default Video Standard. SUBTITLE Video Standard will override the "DEFAULT VIDEO STANDARD set by the USER.

So although I set everything to be NTSC ... when I added the PAL SUBTITLES ... VSO ConvertXtoDVD 2 would not convert the SUBTITLES to NTSC ... instead it set the STANDARD to PAL which was the standard of the SUBTITLES. Even when I didn't select SUBTITLES ... VSO ConvertXtoDVD 2 picked up the SUBTITLES in the same dir as my DivX files.

Well how did I get around this problem.

I used a FREE program called IfoEdit.

I open up "ALL" the IFO files .... double-clicked on "ALL" the Video icons and changed PAL to NTSC. Save the IFO files along with the BUF files (the program will ask if you wanna save the BUF files ... click YES cause the IFO and BUF files must match). You won't see the change til you close the file and open it again.
Old 26-09-2006   #20

I have converted some avi ang mepg files to dvd using VSO ConvertXtoDVD.I had set all options to same as source files.The dvd is playing well on my computer but when I load it on my Yamakawa DVD-218 DVD player it says no disc.What could be the problem?Another query,my dvd player plays movieclips in mpeg format;it does not plays avi files.How to convert the avi files to "movieclips" without any loss in quality so that I can play these clips on my dvd player?
Old 26-09-2006   #21
CDFreaks Resident

Hi there,

Without a full conversion log, we cannot guess what happenned.

If you live in Europe and need PAL, force the output to PAL.

If you use Automatic you may end up with an NTSC DVD, so good if you need PAL.

Quote:
How to convert the avi files to "movieclips" without any loss in quality so that I can play these clips on my dvd player?
What are movieclips ?

Just load them ConvertXtoDVD and convert them to a DVD
Old 26-09-2006   #22
CDFreaks Resident

Hi there,

Quote:
9/24/2006 7:16:04 PM info NTSC 29.97 FPS output format set automatically
You have the Video Standard set to Automatic.

It should be set (Forced) to PAL or NTSC.
You can change this is the settings

I assume you need PAL (Europe) since it came out NTSC and you had issues

Movie Clip is just a description for your .MPG file.

ConvertXtoDVD will convert all those .MPG, .AVI etc....
Old 27-09-2006   #23

My DVD player can handle both NTSC and PAL formats.So why is it not reading the DVD?Also what is the difference between .mpg and .mpeg video files?If my DVD player is reading .mpg files,can it read mpeg2 files.Lately my DVD burner is not recognizing CD RW or DVD RW discs,therefore I am not able to test in a DVD RW disc.Also I thought that avi filles are larger than mpg files.Whan I converted an 60MB avi fille to mpg format it became 150 MB.So how can I convert an avi file to mpg format without loss in quality? Thanks.
Old 27-09-2006   #24

Hi there,
I converted the same video files with setting set toTV Type - PAL and burned the DVD folder as a data DVD with NERO with 8X speed.My DVD Player is now recognizing the disc and playing ok.I think it would also work ok if I burn it with
ConvertXtoDVD.Thanks again, specially to cougar_ii.
Old 16-01-2007   #25

Thank you for this guide.

My question (reviving this thread from the dead) is,
I have a dozen AVIs I would like on a dvd, yet the menu option allows, at most, 10 per page. Does this mean that it will present me with more than one page, so by selecting six, I will have two pages with six menu items each?

Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread