CDFreaks Resident

CD image formats (ISO vs BIN vs others)

there are many formats to make copies of CD's:
- ISO
- BIN
- MDF
- NRG
- many others

is there one prefered on others? advantages and disadvantages of types?

- ISO will have the size the same as the original disk, as if it is 1-to-1 copy of the disk data.
- BIN are a slight bigger (700 MB disk image will be 800 or something).

why are BIN bigger than ISO? do they have some kind of CRC/recovery information saved in them? or do they read sectors as they are on a disc, with extra location information.... (not just file data)?

BTW: i like to use ISO now, as they are small.
mcbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #2
No longer with us

Re: CD image formats (ISO vs BIN vs others)

Each image formats stores different information. In a lot of image formats information regarding copy protection and error checking (as far as I know)....So my bet would be on the image format that stores most information to allow a working 1:1 backup
Da_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #3
CDFreaks Resident

so BIN format for example, save in the BIN file the +16 or +96 information from the raw reading?
mcbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

That's correct. The bin image is closer to a raw data reading. And the cue file passes along important data placement info to the burner (like perfectly accurate TOC info from what I understand). For that reason, a lot of the "old timers" still regard bin/cue to be THE most accurate way to image a disc. Supposedly as close as you can get to a 1:1 copy. Perhaps others here who are more 'tech savvy' than I am could fill in more details?

As far as the other formats are concerned, they are all just variants on the iso format which essentially have a different file extension. :-) There IS one exception however. And that is the CloneCD format, which is a variant of the bin/cue format. Hence the name 'CloneCD' since it is supposedly closer to a 1:1 copy.
MeTuLHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004   #5
CD Freaks Member

Hi,

I recently had to deal with an image that had the extention .out, and I still cannot find what it holds. Do you have any clue what program can be used to read it, or what it was created with? Thank you very much!
kikibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbyte
there are many formats to make copies of CD's:
- ISO
- BIN
- MDF
- NRG
- many others

is there one prefered on others? advantages and disadvantages of types?

- ISO will have the size the same as the original disk, as if it is 1-to-1 copy of the disk data.
- BIN are a slight bigger (700 MB disk image will be 800 or something).
- ISO - I'm using this only which software that doesn't have protection and doesn't contains MultiTracks (data+audio)
- BIN - This is 1:1 raw copy sector by sector..I'm using this when I've to make image together with Data+Audio tracks (MultiTrack CD) and supposedly some kind of protection.
- MDF - Don't know this one
- NRG - Exploring it yet and it seems to be good as it can hold MultiTrack CDs

Quote:
BTW: i like to use ISO now, as they are small.
Depends what you want to achieve...I thought the same until the day when I'd tryed to convert bin image to multitrack iso image to gain on space saving... The format is one of the better because it doesn't contains those extra infos but unfortunately you can't convert directly from bin to iso which contains multitrack iso images like Data+Audio.. Of course it's always possible to make custom Mixed mode CD that contains Audio+Data....Here's there is no any limitation but this CD will not contain any protection data...

Quote:
why are BIN bigger than ISO? do they have some kind of CRC/recovery information saved in them? or do they read sectors as they are on a disc, with extra location information.... (not just file data)? .
Here's the answer:

What is BIN files? BIN files is one of CD/DVD image formats. BIN file is a binary copy of an entire CDs/DVDs disc. BIN file contain ALL the data stored on the original disc including not only its files and folders but also its system-specifics information, for examples, bootable information, volume, volume attributes and any other system-specific data. Actually, BIN image file is not a collection of files or folders but is an exact duplicate of the raw data of the original disc, sector by sector.
MystiQ is offline   Reply With Quote