Old 03-10-2008   #1

Best File Format to Burn DVDs From?

I'm trying to burn archived DVDs from my hard drive to DVD-R as fast as possible. I won't be archiving a lot of DVDs on the hard drive, so I'm not concerned about space... I'm more concerned about video quality and burn times. I simply want an uncompressed format, that requires no conversion by the burning software for the archived DVD to be written to the DVD media (resulting in the fastest possible burn times). So all the burning software would do is take data from X location and write it to X location. From what I've gathered from other posts and forums, the best way to do this would be to store the DVD in its native file format the .VOB format (and the VIDEO_TS folder etc.). But I was also wondering if storing a DVD in the .ISO format would return the same desired results (I've heard that this format is uncompressed) and the ability to mount the DVDs would be a plus as well.

I've been storing DVDs on my hard drive as .ISO's and burning them with ImgBurn. This seems to be producing the solution that I'm looking for, but I wasn't sure and I spent at least an hour or two looking for the answer to this question and I was unable to find it.

I think both of these methods will achieve what I want, just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for your time.

-Spencer
sjgmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Best File Format to Burn DVDs From?

An ISO is just a container that holds all the files in one. When you burn an ISO the actual files that are inside the ISO are what gets burned. Using a burning program like ImgBurn, it will make no difference whether you burn the ISO or the files.
Dialysis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #3

So, all I need to know now is that my first assertion is right: that burning .VOB files is the fastest way for a DVD to be burned from HD to DVD? And it should make no difference whether I burn strictly .VOB files, or the .VOB files contained within a .ISO file.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

When burning with ImgBurn, yes.
You can burn the ISO file or the VIDEO_TS folder.
Old 05-10-2008   #5

I know this is retarded sorry: burning .VOB files = fastest way for a DVD to be burned from HD to DVD?
Old 05-10-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

Either way. It will take the same amount of time.
Old 05-10-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

Read Post #4. If your IFO, BUP, VOB files are not in a VIDEO_TS folder, make one & put them in it, then burn.
beef barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #8

Sorry, I already know that. It's a really dumb question and I'm pretty sure I'm already right: I'm wondering if burning .VOB files (as opposed to all kinds of different formats ex. DivX, AVI, but obviously all these formats must be converted to the .VOB format for burning right?) is the fastest way for a DVD on the HD to be written to DVD. And obviously (as you've mentioned) burning a .ISO will take the same amount of time as a .VOB.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2008   #9
MyCE Resident

Dvd compliant files are IFO, BUP, VOB. Does your standalone Dvd player play these other formats?
beef barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #10
Wii Freak

Quote:
I'm trying to burn archived DVDs from my hard drive to DVD-R as fast as possible.
Quote:
I simply want an uncompressed format, that requires no conversion by the burning software for the archived DVD to be written to the DVD media
Quote:
I've been storing DVDs on my hard drive as .ISO's and burning them with ImgBurn.
good
troy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #11

Yeah... I think I got it figured out. Thanks for your help guys.