Old 22-05-2003   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Mail order Dvd's

Where in the states can you order dvd-r through mail order at good prices. Which mail order firms does everyone recommend.
dennis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003   #2
CD Freaks Troll

DeepDiscountDVD.com consistantly have real good prices on the lastest DVDs. I used to do Amazon.com a lot, but after hearing numerous loose DVD horror stories from online DVD shoppers, I've switched to strict in person purchase at BestBuy and Target. Shake shake shake.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
DeepDiscountDVD.com consistantly have real good prices on the lastest DVDs. I used to do Amazon.com a lot, but after hearing numerous loose DVD horror stories from online DVD shoppers, I've switched to strict in person purchase at BestBuy and Target. Shake shake shake.
Uh, Stoner, he asked about DVD-R media, not the latest releases. :-)

@dennis77: I've been buying from All Media Outlet (www.allmediaoutlet.com). I've been getting Princo 1x discs with white surface and purple recording layer for $86.00 for 100 (2 50-pack spindles) and have had no problems with them (before prices went up I paid something like $63 for 100). I write them in a Pioneer DVR-104 (Cendyne) and they read ok on my Lite-On DVD-ROM and two Mintek DVD-1600 standalone players as well as several friends' players.

2x and 4x discs are still over $1.00 each even in bulk.

I'm looking for a good, cheap, compatible DVD-RW disc. I tried the Princos, but they only work in the DVD-RW drive, the DVD-ROM and the standalone players won't read them (or even recognize them in most cases). I picked up 1 Memorex DVD-RW for like $6 the night I picked up the drive, and both the DVD-ROM and the standalone players it fine, but they're a bit expensive.
dentman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003   #4
CD Freaks Troll

Damn it. >_<

Oh man, I'm so stoned...
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003   #5
New on Forum

dentman42: you'll find that you can burn those princo discs at 2x without any hiccups
dusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2003   #6
New on Forum

Try http://www.precisioncddvd.com I've been getting my Ritek DVD-Rs from them. They've been very reliable, fast, and have the best prices.
jiznax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2003   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by dusted
dentman42: you'll find that you can burn those princo discs at 2x without any hiccups
I'll have to see if my drive is hackable. It may have factory firmware too new to flash to ignore media speed restrictions. It would be nice to burn at 2x though. At 1x, I haven't had a single "damaged" sector yet, though a power outage wasted a disc earlier this week...
Old 24-05-2003   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Damn it. >_<

Oh man, I'm so stoned...
Keep it up, we'll change your nick to Towelie... :-D
Old 25-05-2003   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by dentman42

I'll have to see if my drive is hackable. It may have factory firmware too new to flash to ignore media speed restrictions. It would be nice to burn at 2x though. At 1x, I haven't had a single "damaged" sector yet, though a power outage wasted a disc earlier this week...
You should be fine, there is a cracked v1.40 of the firmware available
dusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003   #10
Waiting on Activation

www.meritline.com They sell Ritek,and other good cheap brands. I've had very good luck with them.....
Sony DRU-500A
Audigy2 Platinum
Logitech z-680
NEC MultiSync XtraView 1830
Ruffrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2003   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by dusted

You should be fine, there is a cracked v1.40 of the firmware available
I was wrong, I was only running 1.20 from the factory. After reading some of the 1.40 2x4all horror stories, I decided to try 1.20 2x4all, since I hadn't really had any problems with 1.20. So far, I've burned 3 of the Princo1x @ 2x successfully, all play on the standalone player and verify with 100% good sectors using CDSpeed in my LiteOn LTD-163D. According to Nero Infotool, the DVR-104 is still RPC2 though (no big deal, I read with the Litey).

From the discussions I've seen of Princo DVD-R media, I can only assume that they have several grades, and that the white top ones I'm getting must be one of their better grades as I've had zero problems with them, and I've burned almost 350(!) so far.

So, Dennis, if you have a DVR-104, the Princo 1X white/purple DVD-R media from www.allmediaoutlet.com ($86/100 last I checked) will actually work ok at 2x with the hacked 2x4all firmware...