Old 13-11-2008   #1
MyCE Resident

ALERT: NewEgg Has Changed It's Return Policies

I just noticed this, but NewEgg has recently changed the return policy for many or most of the CD/DVD/BR burners it sells, from the Standard Return Policy to the Limited 30-Day Return Policy or the Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy.

What's the difference, you ask? With the Standard Return Policy, you could exchange a defective or problematic drive by doing a quick, efficient, and no questions asked RMA with NewEgg for up to 1-year after a drive was purchased. In effect, you could avoid hassling with the sometimes nightmarish manufacturer RMA process, which would result in you getting back a repaired or refurbished drive, whereas with NewEgg, you would receive a brand new drive as a replacement. Those days are over.

In particular, for those who had drives which "worked", but worked poorly according to CDFreaks standards, the NewEgg RMA process was a godsend. Noisy drives, poorly burning drives, and other drives which didn't fall under the traditional heading of "broken" could be dealt with via a NewEgg RMA, when the manufacturer would just laugh at you and send the same drive back.

I'm not sure of what other products they've changed the return policy on, but it does mean that one of the things that made NewEgg unique and better than other online retailers is gone. Of course, it's not the end of the world, and you do still have 30-days to get a replacement, but I sure will miss the way things used to be.

Here's a quick breakdown of the differences:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx

Standard Return Policy

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: 1 year

This is our Detailed Standard Return Policy. Unless another return policy is indicated, products sold by Newegg.com are covered by this Standard Return Policy. Merchandise under this Standard Return Policy may be returned a) within 30 days of the original invoice date for a refund, or b) within one year of the original invoice date for a replacement of the same item. All returns require an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. All items returned for a refund are subject to a 15% restocking fee.

Many manufacturers offer additional factory coverage. With regard to such, you should contact the manufacturer of your item directly for information regarding eligibility and specific Terms and Conditions.

Limited 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited 30-Day Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (products for which Newegg.com states "This item may be returned for a replacement or refund within 30 days only") must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Additional coverage, if any, is provided solely by the product's manufacturer (as indicated by such manufacturer).

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: ALERT: NewEgg Has Changed It's Return Policies

I already knew this and it has been this way for quite a while and never seen anything different from them. You should still have a manufactures 1 or more year warranty on products though.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

Yeah that all changed a while back right after I bought my Samsung 223F it thankfully still has the
standard return policy on it though. I guess so many people were bricking their drives trying different
FW and stuff out on them or they didn't burn just so-so after the 30 days and then sending them back
after 30 days and the Mfg's probably got on to them for taking them back that they got tired of it.
The way prices have fallen on drives now days I would rather just buy another drive then try to RMA
one back anyway after the 30 days have passed at the return shipping prices UPS/FedEx is charging these
days to send a drive back to newegg or the Mfg.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008   #4
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind

Yo-

I just returned from Newegg-

Of the 62 burners shown - nine had the 'Standard Return Policy' and the balance had the 'Limited 30 Day Return Policy'

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Sign of the times... They need to cut costs where they can, and limiting store return policies are a quick way of saving a lot of money.

If you think about the price of them returning the item, it's the shipping + paperwork + employee cost = too much red ink for a sound business practice.

I remember back in 1990 while working for a company that made scanning electron microscopes, anything valued under $50 didn't get RMA'd even if brand new. Entirely due to paperwork costs.
houdini65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
...it has been this way for quite a while and never seen anything different from them.

It couldn't have been that long ago. The last drive I purchased from them was an Optiarc AD-7200A several months ago, and it has the Standard Return Policy. They may have been changing things over for certain drives awhile back, but it's only recently been that the overwhelming majority of drives are no longer under the Standard policy.
Old 16-11-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

I ordered my SH-223F on 9/5/08 so I guess it was a short while after that is when
they started changing the return policy on all of the ODD's.

Main system burners
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS624 in external enclosure
1 Liteon iHAS 124-04B true iHAS124-04 Liteon drive
1 Liteon iHAS 524-98A true iHAS-524 Liteon drive
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS424
1 ASUS DRW-24B1LT cross flashed To Lite-On iHAS324
1 Samsung S203B

Secondary system
1 Samsung S203B
1 Liteon 20A1S
1 Liteon 160P6S

System Specs
getit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008   #8
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

As long it lasts 30 days, it will be fine. The odds only cost about 30 bucks, when you factor in shipping its almost too much trouble to return it.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1476 View Post
As long it lasts 30 days, it will be fine. The odds only cost about 30 bucks, when you factor in shipping its almost too much trouble to return it.
I know it's not that big of a deal. It was just one of those little things that made NewEgg stand out. I never even had to return a drive to them, but just because they had the policy, I would always order my drives from NewEgg instead of ZipZoomFly or somewhere else.
Old 16-11-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

New Egg never goes out of their way to screw consumers. Our forums would tell you that instantly. The quality of products out of China varies widely sometimes. Bad burners could as easily be badly made media or incompatabilities. Early lightscribe drives have media compatability issues (data side).

What you need to do is educate yourself about how to determine if the drive is defective/not performing correctly within 30 days. If New Egg is smart.. they will post some tips for consumers to figure that out for themselves. (pi/pif scans, DL, and varied brands burned, etc).
On the other hand, maybe 60 day minimum would be better for ODD's or anything with a "motor".
tmc8080 is offline   Reply With Quote