Old 27-10-2004   #1
New on Forum

What are the differences between the UDF versions under Advanced Option in InCD 4?

Under the advanced option, there are:

UDF 1.50 (recommanded)
UDF 2.00
UDF 2.01
UDF 2.50

Is the higher version number the better?
Why is 1.50 versoin recommanded?
What are the differences between them?
If my other computer has the lastest InCD 4 Reader installed, does it mean it will support all UDF versions?

I googled around and have not found anything useful.

Thanks!
fanbanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: What are the differences between the UDF versions under Advanced Option in InCD 4?

UDF stands for Universal Disk Formating but its far from that, if you look at different O/S flavours (Mac UDF and Win UDF, being Universal should be portable, right? wromg!).

The "recommanded" 1.5 is probably as this is the one that you can read in more machines, not the best.
New versions bring new facilities, if that's better depends on the convenience they have to you.
InCD different versions shown some problems with the change of UDF version in the past.
In principe the last version of InCD should support the indicated versions.
have a look to:

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq06.html#S6-3-1

this is long list, so go to subject 6-3-1 What's UDF? from the indice links at the top, chapter [6-3] What is packet writing (a/k/a DLA - Drive Letter Access)?
Enjoy
agomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004   #3
New on Forum

Re: What are the differences between the UDF versions under Advanced Option in InCD 4

I would like to read/learn more about the benefits of having the followings:

- Stream Files
- Access Control Lists
- Power Calibration
- Real Time Files
- Metadata Partition

featured in 2.00 and above. Where can I read about them? I skimmed through the spec at http://www.osta.org/specs/index.htm, but it doesn't explain how they work, just how to implement. I'm interested in what sort of benefits the features in newer versions offer from the end-user POV.

I believe some of the features need Hardware support? My LG 4120B can't do any MRW and DRT-DM (reported by InCD). Does that mean I won't benifit from the newer UDF versions?

DVD+RW is better than DVD-RW for packet-writing because of some sort of error correction built-in, is this true?

Thanks!
Old 28-10-2004   #4
MyCE Junior Member

Re: What are the differences between the UDF versions under Advanced Option in InCD 4

MRW is the Mount Rainier format, a hardware based packet writing system for CD-RW and DVD+RW (certified MRW drives carry the EasyWrite logo). DRT-DM is a software based packet writing system for DVD-RW. The current lack of MRW in the LG 41xx is dissapointing but DVD-RAM is superior in every way anyway. I do recommend using InCD for MRW or DVD-RAM, but would not rely upon any packet writing software without hardware based defect management. I too am lead to believe that UDF 1.50 is only recommended for wider compatability, especially with Mac OS in lieu of third-party drivers and have thus settled upon using 2.0 universally since it is recommended over 1.50 for video and the later features may not generally be needed.
0pt1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004   #5
New on Forum

So DVD-RAM is better than DVD+RW and DVD-RW for packet writing?
DVD-RAM is so hard to find in common computer shops.

Anyone knows where can I read about:
- Stream Files
- Access Control Lists
- Power Calibration
- Real Time Files
- Metadata Partition
??

Thanks
Old 28-10-2004   #6
MyCE Junior Member

Re: What are the differences between the UDF versions under Advanced Option in InCD 4?

DVD-RAM is simply the most secure and robust. It is also technically the fastest however LG writers reportedly do not allow disabling write verification so 5x writing is actually done at 2.5x, if I understand correctly -however, I would probably enable it anyway and 16x is supposedly due Q1 2005. DVD-RAM may be easier to find in consumer electronics shops sold for use in set-top DVD recorders but the chances of the local store having the latest 5x and at a decent price are slim. I just bought mine online. Look for Maxell 5x (SKU 636082). I am also interested in what those specs are about.
0pt1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004   #7
New on Forum

I found UDF 2.50 not as repsonsive as 1.50 with InCD. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 09-11-2004   #8
New on Forum

Dear valued Customer,

thank you for your email.

No that has nothing to do with "better" or "worser".
It is just another filesystem.
Unfortunately we do not provide any documents about the UDF-standards at the moment, sorry.

Best regards

Sebastian Sonn

Technical Support

Ahead Software AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany
Fax : ++49 (0)7248 911 888
http://www.nero.com
Old 26-11-2004   #9
New on Forum

Thanks nero for replying!
Below is the email I received today.

Dear valued Customer,

UDF 1.02 as first released UDF revision is know by most implementation on the market. It is used for DVD-Video for instance.

UDF 1.50 defect management makes it the usual choice for CD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RW (except MRW, as they do have defect management at hardware level) .

File streams of UDF 2.00 allows to have multiple stream per file, like on NTFS. ACL and power calibration are optional features not used by InCD.

Real Time Files from UDF 2.01 is useful for streaming, for instance video streaming.

The metadata partition from UDF 2.50 regroups the metadata information (information about files, directory and the volume in general) in a partition on the media, so both (read) access is faster and a duplicate of this information is possible (with sector-to-sector match so a recovery software can re-build the information even if both partitions are partially damaged).

Best regards

Technical Support

Ahead Software AG
http://www.nero.com
Old 31-01-2005   #10
New on Forum

For those wanting more information on specific UDF 2 features, I thought I'd post this description (which I consider suprisingly plain-english, for a standards organization's site):

http://www.osta.org/osta/press_releases/pr230298.htm

Interestingly, the press release is dated February 23, 1998. I didn't realize UDF 2.0 was that old.

The description of power calibration surprised me, though. Given their stated motivation for adding power calibration streams, I'd have thought the point was to increase the maximum number of allowable power calibrations. However, it's probably worth considering that this is in a press release and might have gotten mangled by a PR person's efforts to condense the description and make it more accessible.
Old 19-04-2007   #11
New on Forum

I use Nero 6.6. Its has 1.02 as default and I never changed it. I found UDF does not hold as much data as ISO on multiple small files. It happens often that I have to decrease the total data 2 to 3 MB below the maximum data allowed on the DVD in order to fit on it when using UDF. Why is that? Will changing to a later version make any difference?

Thanks
cpliu is offline   Reply With Quote