Old 23-02-2004   #1
New on Forum

Nero 6: How do I copy a CD/DVD to ISO format?

Hello,

I remember long time ago there was an option in older versions of Nero to "copy" a CD to an ISO format file.

In Nero 6 it doesn't look like I am able to copy a CD or DVD to anything else except NRG files.

Is there a way to still save in ISO format in Nero 6? If so how?

Anyway, what's the difference between NRG and ISO files? Should I use NRG?

Thanks.
SirDracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004   #2
Retired Moderator

Use the ImageRecorder, and at the very last step when you select the location for the image, you can select ".iso" from the file-type drop down list instead of ".nrg".
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004   #3
New on Forum

That's what I thought but for me only .nrg is available as the only option. There are no other options there.

Are there any limitations based on the CD/DVD type that I am copying?

Btw, I have a full paid retail version of Nero 6 so it should have all the options available, right?

I also have "Enable all supported recorder formats for the Image Recorder" under the "Expert Features" tab.

Last edited by SirDracula; 23-02-2004 at 06:32.
Old 23-02-2004   #4
Retired Moderator

It's there. Just create you compilation the same as always, then when you hit burn, you'll get the save-as dialogue.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004   #5
New on Forum

I am telling you, for me it's not there, the ONLY option I have in the drop down is "Image Files (*.nrg)" I can see in your screenshot that you have it, but it's driving me crazy, I don't know how to make mine show up as an option.

Edit: Note that my option in the drop down is exactly "Image Files (*.nrg)" as opposed to your first option which is "Nero Image Files (*.nrg)"
Old 14-03-2004   #6
New on Forum

I can confirm that the drop down list does NOT include *.iso.

So here's what I did. I chose "all types" and renamed my image file as image.iso. I dunno if it worked or not as I haven't used anything else to burn the iso file yet.

Rays
RaysMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006   #7
New on Forum

Re: Nero 6: How do I copy a CD/DVD to ISO format?

There is an additional option called "Save Tracks". You can select to save the CD image as an ISO track to any location you choose. This feature appears to be designed mainly for recording audio tracks. It worked for me.
tyndareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

I also am frustrated that Nero doesn't seem to have a button to push to copy a CD to an image file. But there is a way to do it. Just start to do a CD copy. It will copy the CD to an image file. Then it will ask you to insert a blank CD. Just cancel the operation and you have the .iso file. A stupid way to do it if you ask me, but my Nero seems to have no other way.

I think the CD copy option is in the "wizard". Also from Nero burning ROM, you can go up and click Recorder > copy disc.
steve b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006   #9
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndareus
There is an additional option called "Save Tracks". You can select to save the CD image as an ISO track to any location you choose. This feature appears to be designed mainly for recording audio tracks. It worked for me.
Hi tyndareus, welcome to the forums.

You cannot save an audio CD (or a single track of an audio CD) to an ISO image. This is because an audio CD does not include a filesystem, so ISO images can be used only for DATA (using the ISO9660 filesystem and eventually some extensions).
Audio CD can be saved as a CUE/WAV couple of files, or with a proprietary format (.NRG for Nero, .PXI for PlexTools, etc.), while audio tracks can be saved in .WAV format (or in a compressed format like APE, FLAC, MP3, OGG, ...)

Also, please note that the post you answered is dated 14-03-2004, so probably RaysMD has already found the answer he was looking for.

ET
Old 08-08-2010   #10

steve b's. idea worked for me. I had to go to MyDocuments/ during the copying process and there was a .nrg file in there. Once the copy was done and it prompted me to enter a blank disc, I copied that file to another location. Then I canceled the copy. I took the .nrg and renamed it .iso I then used nero to burn that iso to a blank. I used the boot disc from Norton Ghost 15 as my test. I was able to boot my computer using the iso file once it was burned to a CD.

Funny thing is on another site it said that a .nrg can't just renamed to iso and expect it to work. It worked for me.
livenadwell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #11
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livenadwell2 View Post
Funny thing is on another site it said that a .nrg can't just renamed to iso and expect it to work. It worked for me.
The other site was correct, but you were lucky that Nero recognized the file as being in NRG format even though you mistakenly called it ISO.

Had you used some other application that expects an ISO file, you might not have had the same success.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-08-2010   #12
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!

Nerö's own image format - .nrg - is slightly different from standard iso. That's why there are tools like nrg2iso.
Quote:
This worked for you since you have used Nerö for burning the image. I guess if you renamed the .nrg to .doc or .pdf, it would have worked also
But I bet if you had used another CD/DVD burning application, then you'd run into problems (unless the other burning application does support .nrg images).

Michael
Edit: Beaten by the Dragon
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #13

Makes sense what you are saying.

I dug up another utility called imgBurn that I forgot I had and it looks like it can create an .iso. It is a no cost utility. http://www.imgburn.com/

Thanks for your response.
livenadwell2 is offline   Reply With Quote