Old 10-07-2011   #1
MyCE Junior Member

Nero 6 with DVD Decrypter

XP, Nero 6.6.1.15, TDK DVD-R blanks. Pretty much a newbie.

I ripped back up files with Decrypter (3.5.4.0) for all four discs of season one boxed set of a favorite TV show . I was able to burn Discs 1 and 2 with Nero. But on Disc 3, I was only able to add one file (VTS_06_1). Trying to add more files was met with:

Disk is full. Error importing video segment. File cannot be inserted.

Only a fraction of the disc space had been used, according to Nero. (Shrink didn't even see the files, so I couldn't use it. Clicking on the containing folders in Shrink got: "DVD Shrink encountered a problem and cannot continue. Failed to file C\Documents and Settings\blah blah \VIDEO_TS.VOB. The system cannot find the file specified." That's why I went to Nero.))

In addition, I went back and tried re-burning the first two discs again with Nero, and got the same message. This after I had burned them earlier with no problem.
What gives?

I've back up maybe 50 discs. Only now and then have I had a problem, but I don't recall this one. I suspect the problems were because Decrypter
and the DVD Shrink (3.2) are old, as well as Nero. In those situations I just drop a blank in my stand along DVD recorder and push a couple of buttons.
So again: what is going on? And are there any software settings I can tweak?

Thanks.
LtTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Nero 6 with DVD Decrypter

Wow! So you burned two disks that worked but when you tried the same again you got an error message about the disk being full? If you think the problem with disk 3 has to do with the encryption try DVDFab, even the free decrypting part will work after the 30 free trial. I don't use Nero, many people do, and since this is the Nero sub-forum all I will say is you can try a different burning program. By the way, DVDShrink doesn't have a burn engine, it will use Nero if installed.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #3
MyCE Resident

Give us the disc sizes to start with....

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011   #4
MyCE Junior Member

Size? The typical (single layer, 4.7GB?).
Whappo yes, I'm aware the Shrink uses Nero. I tried DVDFab a couple years ago but stuck with Shrink and Decryter for reasons I don't recall.
Old 14-07-2011   #5
MyCE Resident

No, the real amount of data you have tried to put on that DVD.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Old 20-07-2011   #6
MyCE Junior Member

As I said in the OP, "Only a fraction of the disc space had been used..." 0.56G one time and 1.94 another for a disc with 4.38G available.

But I think I have solved the problem: I think my C drive was too full. I moved some vids, and did a disc clean up. I now have 15G available out of 150G. Things went OK after that. Keeping my fingers crossed for future projects.
I was also getting another message during this time: "not enough space for temporary files in specified folders..."
I couldn't find the temp folder on the path specified, so I moved the files on C that could be related to this.

Further, I usually got the "full" error when I added the (VTS) video files individually (making menu chapters), rather than adding them as a group ("Disc contains one title and one menu.").

I've been away for a few days, and I can't recall all the details. Bottom line: making space on the C drive improved things.

Side question............... when performing this task, I'd open NeroVision Express, I'd usuall shoose "Make a DVD" over "Make a Movie". Under "Make a DVD", I could select "Add DVD files" or again "Make a Movie".
What is the difference in Nero between "making a DVD" and "making a movie?
Old 24-07-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Multisession mode on dvd is a dead end.

Old 31-07-2011   #8
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks, chef. But as I said, I'm pretty much a newbie. So I have trouble understanding your reply, "Multisession mode on dvd is a dead end."

How does that relate to my question:
............... when performing this task, I'd open NeroVision Express, I usually choose "Make a DVD" over "Make a Movie". Under "Make a DVD", I could select "Add DVD files" or again "Make a Movie".
What is the difference in Nero between "making a DVD" and "making a movie?
Old 31-07-2011   #9
Administrator

Its been a long time...I mean a long time since I've used Nero Vision for anything. There are too many better choices amongst the free programs. But I seem to recall that Nero Vision could output as avi and possibly other formats like mp4. So choosing Make a Movie might simply be the way to start an output as something other than dvd-video.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #10
MyCE Resident

Making a dvd should generate a dvd-video specification accurate Video DVD.
Making a movie will you give a movie that you can play back with any pc and eg. vlc, but only few standalone devices.

Multisession mode is fine for cd, but with dvd itr generates issues en masse, the past have shown that behaviour and trouble.

Old 03-08-2011   #11
MyCE Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I get most of it.

I most often want to back up a movie ( DVD Decrypter to DVD Shrink using its Nero plug-in), followed by home movies (from Sony mini-disc camcorder). They are all usually played on stand alone dvd players. Which Nero process would you suggest, particularly for the home movies. ( I don't often have a choice with the movie back-ups, unless I burn them to multiple discs, like "Modern Family" First Season box set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
Its been a long time...I mean a long time since I've used Nero Vision for anything. There are too many better choices amongst the free programs. But I seem to recall that Nero Vision could output as avi and possibly other formats like mp4. So choosing Make a Movie might simply be the way to start an output as something other than dvd-video.
Same question to you, Kerry. Plus, what are the "better choices amongst the free programs"?
Old 03-08-2011   #12
Administrator

For better quality when reducing the size of a dvd video to fit onto a single layer dvd, you should look at the free version of DVDRebuilder. It hasn't been updated for a long time, but still, its much newer than the last version of DVDShrink. DVDRebuilder uses a free encoder, called HCenc, which will produce very good results, especially for those movies that require a lot of compression to fit a single layer blank dvd. DVDShrink is a transcoder, which uses an inferior compression technique than a full encoder like HC. I only use Shrink on those movies where the compression is a trivial amount. The downside to using a full encoder is that it is slower. But with a modern computer, that is not of much concern. The last one I compressed with DVDRebuilder Pro took 23 minutes using the two pass, high quality setting.

DVDRebuilder can use the free burning program called ImgBurn, which has completely replaced Nero for me...years ago in fact.

For conversion of video from various formats (like avi, mkv or mp4) to dvd-video, I would suggest using AVStoDVD. It also has the ability to use the HC encoder, which is far better than the conversion engine in Nero 6. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #13
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
DVDRebuilder uses a free encoder, called HCenc,
Just to add to this, update the included outdated version of HCEnc from the devs page.

http://hank315.nl/