Old 26-09-2012   #1
MyCE Resident

AVOID Nero 12 at all cost? Wait a minute...issue solved by Nero!

Wow...got the offer to upgrade for an extra savings. Been a Nero user since v4. Long story short...uninstalled Nero 11 ultra...install Nero 12. Everything going along fine, until Kwik Media. All of a sudden, the installation fails and reverts to nothing. So I reboot...install again....same result. Now, I can't get Nero 12 onto my system for any effort. Do a chat online with a technician...he sends me the "email" with the file to download and do system info. Do the deed and send back...meanwhile tech still on chat with me, so I deciced to give another try at installation and exclude Kwik Media...viola' it works. I tell him that I think that something is wrong with the module installer. He tells me that he thinks it's my system. So I choose to uninstall and reinstall 12 again, with Kwik media included....do the install...failure....so do the install without Kwik Media...works again...except one caviat...on reboot...my machine blue screens and system repair gives me a message that Windows 7 cannot be repaired. So for the last few hours...I have been updating a month old acronis backup to get my system back up and running. Nero 12 IS NOT ready for prime time. You are talking to someone who defends Nero all the time and has been a first day user since v4. Up to now, I never thought there was another program that could touch Nero. Now...I won't use v12. Back to v11 until I find something to replace it. Tech support told me that they would try to have a solution to me in 10-14 days...too late for a refund it I wait...so I called Asknet and got a refund.

Purchase Nero 12 at your own risk!

Last edited by Kerry56; 29-09-2012 at 00:53.
bobmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012   #2

Hi Bobmitch,
I work for Nero and saw your post this evening. I'm really sorry to hear of the frustrating experience you had installing Nero 12 and Nero Kwik Media. I'm going to make sure our developers are aware of your experience so they can try to replicate the problem.

It looks like you've already been in touch with our tech support team, but I'm happy to escalate this for you even further to see if we can get the issue resolved. Thanks for being a long-time Nero customer and I'd appreciate it if you'd give us the opportunity to figure out what went wrong for you.

Please email me at pbreton@nero.com and reference this post so we can look into it.

Best regards,
Paul
Pbreton-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012   #3
CE Freak

Software's first-day-release installs invariably define "bleeding edge" with some blood-letting. Poor Paul... he's foolishly invited one emailer and I might bend his ear on my own gripes about Nero 11 Platinum, now! haha... ah well, this too shall be a learning experience!

No matter what else, the vendors that pay attention to forums, seek them out and try to help ARE the worthwhile vendors to deal with.

We'll all have terrible consumer experiences and sometimes, "No, can't/won't help you" is the unpleasant answer. But at least it's an answer!

This separates the Good from the Bad vendors in my mind.
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
Software's first-day-release installs invariably define "bleeding edge" with some blood-letting. Poor Paul... he's foolishly invited one emailer and I might bend his ear on my own gripes about Nero 11 Platinum, now! haha... ah well, this too shall be a learning experience!

No matter what else, the vendors that pay attention to forums, seek them out and try to help ARE the worthwhile vendors to deal with.

We'll all have terrible consumer experiences and sometimes, "No, can't/won't help you" is the unpleasant answer. But at least it's an answer!

mr.bill
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012   #5

Quote:

Hi ChristineBCW,

I'm happy to help as best I can. I got your email today and will work with you on it.

Best,
Paul
Old 26-09-2012   #6
MyCE Resident

I have Nero 9 that is a limited version that came "free" with a DVD writer.
For what little I might use it for it has worked OK.
I have an old version 6 on my backup computer .
I did a fairly nice creation of a menu for some Wagon Train episodes.
I just wanted to see if I could . I usually just use a simple of menu as possible
created with other software.

I bet Nero isn't willing to pay bobmitch for all the time & trouble he's already spent.
So why should he even think about giving Nero another chance. If it was me I know I wouldn't.
Old 26-09-2012   #7
CE Freak

Paul has graciously accepted my Nero 11 challenge and I'm looking forward to some resolution. Even if he says NO, it still speaks well of this vendor.

I note that he responded initially with an "I gave the project to someone else", possibly meaning he ran screaming in die nacht... I've had that affect on others, though. Strange, huh?
Old 26-09-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Paul has graciously accepted my Nero 11 challenge and I'm looking forward to some resolution. Even if he says NO, it still speaks well of this vendor.

I note that he responded initially with an "I gave the project to someone else", possibly meaning he ran screaming in die nacht... I've had that affect on others, though. Strange, huh?
Paul has done a great job. They did research on my issue and found some possible solutions. Now, I will wait until I can get Nero 12 for the price I paid and possibly get it again. I don't want to pay more from one day to the next...simply bad decision...Time will tell...Until then...still on Nero 11 Ultra
Old 26-09-2012   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmitch View Post
They did research on my issue and found some possible solutions.
Hopefully 1 of these works for you.....can you share some of their thoughts?
I bought it too,after trialing a few hours on a virtualized desktop.
I had no (directly noticed) issues,so for 49.95 € upgrade cost,I couldn't resist to finally replace my old version 7.10.1.0.
roadworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadworker View Post
Hopefully 1 of these works for you.....can you share some of their thoughts?
I bought it too,after trialing a few hours on a virtualized desktop.
I had no (directly noticed) issues,so for 49.95 € upgrade cost,I couldn't resist to finally replace my old version 7.10.1.0.
Since I no longer have Nero Ultra 12...you are going to have to test this out and report back. If I re-purchase it today...$10 more than yesterday...not going to do that...

Here is the response I received:

We are sorry to hear that you encountered problems installing Nero 12.
Please kindly excuse the inconvenience.

In the meantime our engineers analysed the log files you have sent us, and they were able to reproduce the problem.

It would be great if you would give Nero 12 another chance.

Here is the workaround to get Nero 12 installed properly on your system:
Please check if the “Startup type” of the service “Windows Firewall” is set to “disabled” or to “automatic”.
If it is set to “disabled”, change it to “automatic”. (for the installation process. When done, it can be reset to "disabled")

Please simultaneously hold down the “Windows” key and “R” key.
-> The window “Run” will open.
Now enter the following command into the input field:
services.msc
-> The window “Services” will open.

Right click the entry “Windows Firewall”.
-> A context menu will open.
Select the entry “Properties”
-> The window “Properties” will open.
Select “Automatic” in the drop down menu at “Startup type” and click the “Apply” button.
Confirm your settings by clicking “OK”.
Old 27-09-2012   #11
MyCE Resident

Did you disable the windows firewall service yourself,or was it caused by a tweaking program?
I use a 3th party firewall ,and have disabled the windows firewall at the control panel,but the service is still automaticly started,so I assume that there still are parts of the os that need the service.
roadworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadworker View Post
Did you disable the windows firewall service yourself,or was it caused by a tweaking program?
I use a 3th party firewall ,and have disabled the windows firewall at the control panel,but the service is still automaticly started,so I assume that there still are parts of the os that need the service.
The same with me. Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 has it's own firewall, so I always disable Windows firewall. Running two is just a mess!
Old 27-09-2012   #13

Nero 12

Funny enough, I had the same issue on my home PC. It did install fine after turning the Windows Firewall back on, so that solution DOES work. As far as I can tell, the application itself is A-OK, as well. Just a bit of install hassle.
solrosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012   #14
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrosin View Post
Funny enough, I had the same issue on my home PC. It did install fine after turning the Windows Firewall back on, so that solution DOES work. As far as I can tell, the application itself is A-OK, as well. Just a bit of install hassle.
With your post...took the chance...re-purchased Nero 12 Ultra. Followed the instructions and was successful! Very happy right now. Seems very good...although there is a lot missing from Nero 11. Guess they consolidated everything into modules now...

Issue solved...

Thanks Nero support...Thanks Paul...everything worked out well in the end. You need to post to people who purchase that there are caviats to the installation of Nero 12.
Old 27-09-2012   #15
New on Forum

@Pbreton-Nero - Any chance you will release a stand-alone burning application? Back in the days when you just could burn a CD with Nero, I loved it. Now the installation time alone would allow me to burn a couple of DVDs while waiting.

I guess with me a lot of users would love just a Nero burning application which you could buy for $9.99 or so...

Maybe we should start a petition
Old 27-09-2012   #16
CE Freak

I'm sure the Installer vs Firewall issues will be tested and fixed soon enough. I'm mostly impressed that Nero "let" one of their tech folks wander thru the web, looking for complaints and forum-posts, then dealing directly with them.

That's how good vendors and good forums do it. MyCE gets to add one more to this list.
Old 28-09-2012   #17

Perhaps a change in the title of this thread is in order?
Not that I am particularly concerned since I don't have Nero but it does appear that at least they are trying to improve their product.
Steve33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Perhaps a change in the title of this thread is in order?
Not that I am particularly concerned since I don't have Nero but it does appear that at least they are trying to improve their product.
I agree. It is so hard to get help with software or hardware problems now-a-days. It is good to see that they are looking for problems and willing to fix them.
CPU IntelC2Q Q9650 3G 3.1GHZ Dual-Quad
Memory Patriot 4GB 2x2
OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
HDDs 1 Hitachi 640 GB and 1 TB SATA, External 1.5 TB, Two 2TB and 1 WD 3TB external and 1 250 GB external fire wire. 4 port 2.6 Amp powered USB hub
Burners Internal-Ide Lit-on IHAP 422-98,Pioneer DVR 117---Sata Lite-on IHAS 324-9, Optiarc 7240 and Samsung 243, IHAS 124 Y. External Mad Dog (NEC3500) to burn old 4X media.
PSU Antec 550W true power

Computers can burn up when shut off if they are still plugged in even when using a UPS.

2nd 'Puter (On line use) Dell Power Edge 700, Pentium 4E 520 Prescott @ 2.8GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
2.5 GB DDR 3200, WD 160GB ATA HD, 4 SCSI HD in raid for 500GB, 250 GB Hd on a firewire port.
Samsung 223 DVD burner, Plextor 48/24/48U
Printers 1-Canon 820 and (1-Epson R300, Put back into a box) Samsung ?25 B/W lazer
6 Usb and 3 Firewire ports in the rear and 10 port,7.2Amp powered Rosewill Usb hub in the front along with Rosewill card reader +1 Usb port in the floppy slot
3rd 'Puter Compaq CQ-50 Laptop,Vista 32Bit
Celeron 575 @2GHZ, 3GB DDR2 5300, 160GB HD and 1-250GB WD passport HD, 2.6 amp powered USB hub.
Optiarc 7200 in external case
Epson NX 415 Printer.
(Wall-Mart $299) Vista 32 bit
G_Ivan Awfulitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHunt View Post
@Pbreton-Nero - Any chance you will release a stand-alone burning application? Back in the days when you just could burn a CD with Nero, I loved it. Now the installation time alone would allow me to burn a couple of DVDs while waiting.

I guess with me a lot of users would love just a Nero burning application which you could buy for $9.99 or so...

Maybe we should start a petition
Hi RexHunt, I'm not in a position to make promises about this, but I've shared the request with our product team.

Best,
Paul
Old 28-09-2012   #20

Quote:
I'm sure the Installer vs Firewall issues will be tested and fixed soon enough. I'm mostly impressed that Nero "let" one of their tech folks wander thru the web, looking for complaints and forum-posts, then dealing directly with them.

That's how good vendors and good forums do it. MyCE gets to add one more to this list.
Thanks!
Old 29-09-2012   #21
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

I am a long time Nero user also, the only gripe I have is that the program is large that it installs many programs that are of no use to me. Back in the day when you got a Nero disc with a DVD Burner for free, I was happy with that, but the DVD burning sector has been overrun with so many programs, some are exactly the same with anothername, some do not work, some are way overpriced, but Nero's developers have always been on the ball. My only gripe is the size of the program, with alot of people using 120gb SSDs these days , space is at a premium. I would suggest the ability to install only parts and not have to buy the whole package. Make few different versions for the people that want a quality program, and no I have not tried Nero12, my pocket right now is at an all time low, ( retired and over 70) but I have nothing bad to say about Nero.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012   #22
Administrator

Since bobmitch indicated that his issue with Nero 12 was solved and he is happy with their service, I have renamed the title of the thread. However, if he objects and wants the original restored, I will do so.

(Just a neutral observer here...haven't used Nero since their 7th incarnation)
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1476 View Post
I would suggest the ability to install only parts and not have to buy the whole package. Make few different versions for the people that want a quality program, and no I have not tried Nero12, my pocket right now is at an all time low, ( retired and over 70) but I have nothing bad to say about Nero.
Hi alan1476,
Thanks for the compliments about Nero. The newest versions of Nero Burning ROM, Nero Video, Nero Recode and Nero BackItUp are all sold individually if you don't want everything in the suite. Check out our web site and click the Products tab at the top to find out the prices for the individual applications. We also have very attractive upgrade prices on our site for people who are using older versions of Nero software.

Hope that helps.

-Paul
Old 04-10-2012   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmitch View Post
Wow...got the offer to upgrade for an extra savings. Been a Nero user since v4. Long story short...uninstalled Nero 11 ultra...install Nero 12. Everything going along fine, until Kwik Media. All of a sudden, the installation fails and reverts to nothing. So I reboot...install again....same result. Now, I can't get Nero 12 onto my system for any effort. Do a chat online with a technician...he sends me the "email" with the file to download and do system info. Do the deed and send back...meanwhile tech still on chat with me, so I deciced to give another try at installation and exclude Kwik Media...viola' it works. I tell him that I think that something is wrong with the module installer. He tells me that he thinks it's my system. So I choose to uninstall and reinstall 12 again, with Kwik media included....do the install...failure....so do the install without Kwik Media...works again...except one caviat...on reboot...my machine blue screens and system repair gives me a message that Windows 7 cannot be repaired. So for the last few hours...I have been updating a month old acronis backup to get my system back up and running. Nero 12 IS NOT ready for prime time. You are talking to someone who defends Nero all the time and has been a first day user since v4. Up to now, I never thought there was another program that could touch Nero. Now...I won't use v12. Back to v11 until I find something to replace it. Tech support told me that they would try to have a solution to me in 10-14 days...too late for a refund it I wait...so I called Asknet and got a refund.

Purchase Nero 12 at your own risk!
I experienced the same issue. But nobody offerd for a refund yet.
ausol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausol3 View Post
I experienced the same issue. But nobody offerd for a refund yet.
Hi ausol3,

Have you been able to install Nero 12 or are you still having problems with it? If you're not getting it to work, please email me (pbreton@nero.com) and describe the problem you're having. I'll see how I can help you get the issue resolved.

Best regards,
Paul