Old 29-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

Sony DVD RW DW -Q120A and SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

Hello,

My name is Kelly and have just joined the site today. Seems my device manager has decided to put up 2 exclamation marks against both my DVD drives. Error codes on both are 41. Message tells me drivers have been loaded but devices can't be found.Also when I open my computer icon both icons for my DVD's have now disappeared. I have SONY multi format dual layer DVD-RW ( 16x ) / CD-RW ( 40x ) drives. I have searched high and low for firmware upgrades for both ~ DW-Q120A and DDU 1615 ~ but all roads so far have lead me up blind alleys.

Is there a knowledgeable soul out there who can help me connect back with my DVD drives ?

Thanx, Kelly
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008   #2
MediaCodeSpeedEdit Author

Re: Sony DVD RW DW -Q120A and SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

This has nothing to do with the firmware. Looks like you have to remove the upper and lower filters, instructions are at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...4060&x=12&y=13. Such problems happen when an uninstaller does not remove the filter drivers correctly.
Instead of deleting the two filter keys you can also rename them and if that works edit the values until you know which filter caused the problem. You have to reboot after each try.

Backup your system partition first.

Edit:
It might be easier to use imgburn for this. Select Tools/Filter Driver Load Order, then select one filter after the other. If imgburn can not display the version info, the filter binary is not available and the filter setting has to be removed by clicking 'Remove Selected Filter'.

Last edited by ala42; 29-12-2008 at 05:25.
ala42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008   #3
New on Forum

Re: Sony DVD RW DW -Q120A and SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala42 View Post
This has nothing to do with the firmware. Looks like you have to remove the upper and lower filters, instructions are at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...4060&x=12&y=13. Such problems happen when an uninstaller does not remove the filter drivers correctly.
Instead of deleting the two filter keys you can also rename them and if that works edit the values until you know which filter caused the problem. You have to reboot after each try.

Backup your system partition first.

Edit:
It might be easier to use imgburn for this. Select Tools/Filter Driver Load Order, then select one filter after the other. If imgburn can not display the version info, the filter binary is not available and the filter setting has to be removed by clicking 'Remove Selected Filter'.
Hey,

Thanx for your help. I typed regedit into my search function which brought up a rubic cube looking icon ~ double clicked here which opened up my registry editor ~ scrolled down to class ~ opened here scrolled down to (4d36E965) which opened the section for my DVD drives ~ deleted upper and lower filters then closed ~ and guess what my DVD drives are back on line. So thanx for the pointer but managed to sort the problem anyway.

Happy New Year, Kelly
KellyM is offline   Reply With Quote