Old 07-01-2004   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

OT-Disc Cleaner / Polishers?

This isn't really specific to Lite On drives, but what's the best product or method to use to recover a badly scratched / abused CD/DVD?

/Bob
Svenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #2
Retired Senior Moderator

I use DVD X Rescue myself. But that's because it came bundled with my drive (along with DVDXCopy Xpress) and it's the only one I have

Ssseth likes pickles, loves wallpaper and lives for bacon.
Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #3
CD Freak

I was recently having trouble with a VERY dirty DVD...
My 411s was unable to rip the files and would give a data read error.
A moist sponge, a small amount of soap, good scrubbing and thorough drying cured the problem.
I was then able to rip the DVD without issue
Old 07-01-2004   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

I've tried cleaning it, but still didn't help - got read errors.

It's got some circular scratches in it which must be obscuring some data.

I've seen some polishers that are supposed to polish the CD out, but they are a bit expensive so I'd like to know if they work before I plunk my money down for them.

Also, there are several available and I'd like to know which ones are a good buy and which ones are junk.

-Bob-
Old 07-01-2004   #5
CD Freaks Member

I've had good luck with a dab of toothpaste and a jeweler's polishing cloth. (If you don't have a jeweler's polishing cloth, any soft linen-type cloth should work. For that matter, a t-shirt might work too for all I know. I use the jeweler's cloth because I happen to have one!)

Don't laugh. Think about it: toothpaste is nothing more than a mild abrasive used to polish your teeth.

It takes some time and some elbow-grease, but it's helped me back up more than a few CDs and DVDs. I usually put a little dab right on the affected area, and polish it with the cloth in small circles. It may take a few applications, with the toothpaste wiped away with a *small* dab of water to view your progress. Good luck.
kev99sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #6
DVD Freak

BadCopy Pro

One of the best CD recovery tools. Been resquing many of my sons game CDs.
http://www.downloadatoz.com/badcopy-...-recovery.html
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Hmmm, toothpaste . . . I'll have to give that a shot!

I also found this product from Maguire's that used to clean and polish plastic on cars and boats, wonder what it would do for a scratched CD?

http://www.meguiars.com/trophy.cfm#clear
Old 08-01-2004   #8
Retired Senior Moderator

I wouldn't recommend it.

Ssseth likes pickles, loves wallpaper and lives for bacon.
Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #9
CD Freaks Senior Member

Hi Ssseth,

Why wouldn't you recommend it? Basically we need to polish the scratch out and we need a mild abrasive to do that. Most of the scratch removal kits I've seen on the net have a paste type scratch remover and a spray on liquid cleaner, so I imagine that they are also using a mild abrasive and then something to clean it off.

I was searching for plastic cleaners and scratch removers when I came across the magauir's, but I got curious after your post and searched the web for magauir's and CD and got a couple hits . . .

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/arti...ore_Friday.asp

I had just purchased "The Beyondness of Things" (this is a technical tip, it's not about the music) and had barely listened to it more than once when a visiting jeuvenille managed to drop the disc not once, not twice, but three times and got a nice visible scratch onto the surface about 1/2 inch long near the center. Despite popular assumptions, CDs are not indestructable, and when I tried to play it, I got that dreaded "digital hiccup" effect all through the first two tracks, making them unplayable. I figured I'd have to buy another copy, never did, but a review last week of CD repair kits in The Washington Post had an amazing tip. Instead of the $12 Maxell "cleaner, polisher" substance, the Post used, are you ready, regular car wax. I am here to tell you that Maguair's Cleaner/Wax is a wonder! Not only does my disc play perfectly, it's as shiny as a mirror! Honest to God, all I did was apply a smidge of wax with a soft, dry cloth, let it dry, buff (from the center outward, of course) and, voila! First try did a 95% fix, a repeat application was 100% effective. I've never been so amazed.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/gbj2.htm

A product called "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner" will do the trick. (Regular CD cleaning fluid may or may not work, depending on the brand. A CD dealer we talked to has used Meguiar's for years on this type of problem with excellent results.) This is a very mild abrasive solution that is used to remove "fine surface defects including stains, light oxidation, scratches, swirls and fresh water spots. Buffered Abrasives (TM) that remove defects without scouring the finish." This solution is used to polish the plastic see-through visors on motorcycle helmets. You can find it in the U.S. at motorcycle shops, motorcycle parts-houses and even paint supply stores.

Reading a reply on the web site above it looks like the #2 may be over kill, they also recommend the less abrasive cleaner/polisher I found on Magauir's web site.

All in all I don't think it's any worse idea than commercially sold CD scratch remover kits or even toothpaste (though I tried toothpaste and it didn't get rid of all the scratches, but it DID get enough of them to let the thing play! 8-> so I'd try it first before I went out and spent money).

/Bob