Old 07-06-2004   #1
CDFreaks Resident

OmniPatcher for LiteOn/Sony Optical Drives (v2.6.2)

OmniPatcher for LiteOn/Sony Optical Drives
The Official Thread

Introduction:
The OmniPatcher, as the name suggests, is an all-in-one firmware patching tool for LiteOn/Sony optical drives that lets you customize your firmware to your heart's content and fine-tune your drive's performance.

Quick overview of features:
1/ Tweaking DVD media support: adjust write speed limits, reassign write strategies, and rename media codes!
2/ Change the read speed of various DVD media types - works for DVD-ROM and combo drives!
3/ Change the firmware's drive ID to an equivalent OEM ID
4/ Multi-color LED patch, bitsetting-related patches, 8x writing tweaks for 1S/2S drives, and many other patches!
5/ Fix the "dead drive blink" / Enable cross-flashing

More information:
Please read the documentation enclosed in the package for more details!

Screenshot:

The "Changing DVD±R write strategies" thread can be found here.

Note: OmniPatcher drive support ended with early generation 16x DVDRW drives [supports SOHW-1613S/1633S/1653S/1673S/1693S and clones]. As such, the software will not work for 16x drives released after the "3S" drives, nor any 18x/20x/22x/24x drives. This means that drives with names including, but not limited to, the following prefixes will not work:
  • SHW-
  • SHM-
  • LH-
  • DH-
  • iHAS-
  • iHAP-
  • iHBS-
  • iHES-
  • iHOS-
  • DX-
  • DU-
  • DS-
  • eHAU-
  • eHBU-
  • eTAU-
  • eTDU-
  • eNAU-
  • eSEU-
  • eBAU-

Last version is 2.6.2 (10 September 2007)
Download: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html
More Info: Change Log | Documentation | Unpacking RAR Files | DVD-Writer Overview |||| Unscrambled Flashers: dhc014's Firmware Page | Codeguys Firmware Page

Acknowledgements:
We would like to thank the people in the community whose work, either directly or indirectly, have helped us do what we do: TheKeyMaker, xvi, The Dangerous Brothers, >NIL:, ala42, dhc014, etna, Dale, digi, and the author of KProbe.

Enjoy!
"You don't have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when your own ox is being gored. You do have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when the government tries to censor the speech of those who are goring your ox." -Alan M. Dershowitz

LiteOn Stuff: LiteOn F.A.Q. | OmniPatcher | DVD-Writer Overview | Changing Write Strategies | Crossflashing | XFlash Utility
General Stuff: DVD-Writer F.A.Q. | Rules of the Optical Drive Forums | Attaching Scans | The rpc1.org Firmware Database
Code Guys: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/ | send us e-mail

I Use: Firefox + QuickDrag + NoRedirect + URL Flipper | Winamp | CmdOpen Shell Extension | HashCheck Shell Extension
C64K: My Travel Photos | In Retirement...

Last edited by Albert; 15-01-2014 at 04:47. Reason: tweaked wording, stripped HTML
code65536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Old Threads

In order to keep this thread relevant, I split off old posts into archive threads whenever the thread gets too long.

If you wish to reference the old posts...
Old thread #1 (split on 2004/07/28): http://club.myce.com/showthread.php?t=102527
Old thread #2 (split on 2004/11/02): http://club.myce.com/showthread.php?t=113240
Old thread #3 (split on 2005/06/12): http://club.myce.com/showthread.php?t=139751

The thread ID is not affected by these splits, so there is no need to update any links.
"You don't have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when your own ox is being gored. You do have to be a supporter of freedom of speech to protest when the government tries to censor the speech of those who are goring your ox." -Alan M. Dershowitz

LiteOn Stuff: LiteOn F.A.Q. | OmniPatcher | DVD-Writer Overview | Changing Write Strategies | Crossflashing | XFlash Utility
General Stuff: DVD-Writer F.A.Q. | Rules of the Optical Drive Forums | Attaching Scans | The rpc1.org Firmware Database

I Use: Firefox + QuickDrag + NoRedirect + URL Flipper | Winamp | CmdOpen Shell Extension | HashCheck Shell Extension

Last edited by code65536; 13-06-2005 at 03:35.
Old 13-06-2005   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Version 2.0.0

New version: 2.0.0

Code:
2.0.0 (12 June 2005)
	* Note: Version 2 is a major re-write.  The internals have been completely re-worked, and virtually every line of code was rewritten, with the goal of making OmniPatcher more robust and more maintainable.
	* Added: "Fix bitsetting support" patch (this supersedes both of the now-deprecated bitsetting-fix mini-patchers).
	* Added: "Fix LED colors" patch.
	* Added: "Disable media learning" patch (experimental).
	* Added: Ability to rename media codes.
	* Added: Ability to rename a drive to one of its equivalent OEM names.
	* Added: Ability to specify a file for OmniPatcher to load from the command line (which allows Windows to associate .BIN files with OmniPatcher, if so desired).
	* Added: Ability to load a file by dragging it into the OmniPatcher window.
	* Added: Command line flag to dump OmniPatcher's event log for troubleshooting.
	* Improved: Completely new interface.
	* Improved: New and improved reading speed patch and interface.
	* Improved: Irrelevant patches are now hidden to avoid confusion.
	* Improved: Saving a file or a media code report now provides a default save name.
	* Improved: New strategy reassignment patch routines.  Now, if there is insufficient space in a given bank, strategy reassignment will be disabled for only that bank and not for the entire firmware.  Also fixed a minor bug with some of the 3S patches.
	* Improved: Both the standard and internal firmware revisions are now reported (OmniPatcher used to report only the internal revision).
	* Improved: Drive type detection has been refined slightly.
	* Improved: The format for the media code report has been improved slightly.
	* Removed: The rec_tweaks.conf file is no longer used.  The list of tweaks is now embedded in the executable.  Since the tweaks file is being updated about as frequently as OmniPatcher, it does not make sense to have it as a separate download.
	* Fixed: The [ENTER] and [ESC] keys now work correctly in the pick-a-strategy dialog box.
	* Other: Updated documentation.
	* Other: Tweaked the program name slightly.
	* Other: Updated build libraries.
Whew! Finally done! Well, the changelog says it all... LED color-fix, better read speeds, +R strategy reassignment for CS0P, and many more cool new features.

Have fun,
C64K & C0deKing

The first post has been updated accordingly. The old posts have also been split off.

Old 13-06-2005   #4
MediaCodeSpeedEdit Author

Re: OmniPatcher for LiteOn/Sony DVD-Writers (v2.0.0) *NEW*

Now I know what you did in the last weeks
Old 13-06-2005   #5
KTL
MyCE Resident

Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 13-06-2005   #6
CD Freaks Member

Thanks Code, I cant wait to test tomorrow at Work.
Orazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #7
MyCE Junior Member

hehe testing time. thanks code.
songokussm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #8
CDFreaks Resident

it's all just GREAT really, except for this one..:

Quote:
Removed: The rec_tweaks.conf file is no longer used. The list of tweaks\
oh noooo..!! i used to have my OWN .conf file, with strat replacements i find working best for me, so it was relatively easy to update to new version of firmware, by just loading the file on it.. now i would have to do all 15+ replacements/edits by hand

rest is amazing though!
Old 13-06-2005   #9
CDFreaks Resident

But do you actually use 15 different media types, though?

Well... When rec_tweaks.conf was first introduced, it was thought that rec_tweaks.conf would be updated much more often than OP, so that OP wouldn't have to be recompiled and repackaged every time there was a change to the list. It turns out that OP got updated a lot more often than anticipated, and rec_tweaks.conf got updated a lot less than anticipated, so rec_tweaks.conf ended up getting updated pretty much whenever OP got updated, which defeated the purpose of the file (having it used as a sort of custom config wasn't intended as a purpose, either ). And this also led to confusion, as we register a lot of people download the rec_tweaks file from our website even when it wasn't necessary. But for OP2, this was only a part of the reason why rec_tweaks.conf got the ax. The other part of the reason is that the format the recommended tweaks list changed, and it changed in a way that made it awkward and unsuitable to exist as a separate file from the executable. And because of this second reason, rec_tweaks.conf will probably never be brought back...

...but, if there is interest, it may be possible to make OP load changes from a media code report (since the media code report will show both changed speeds and reassigned strategies). In the meantime, LiteOn doesn't release firmwares that often, and you can think of the extra clicking as a form of excercise.

Edit: OP-2.0.1 and newer should take care of this request.

Last edited by code65536; 18-06-2005 at 19:34.
Old 13-06-2005   #10
CDFreaks Resident

Well, perhaps I dont use all the 15 types, but i can easily think of 10 or so that yeah, i get to use from time to time..

What about my suggestion of ability to save/restore changes? E.g. you do some strat swaps, some speed changes, increase read speed, and then save the changes in some file.. you can so easily update firmwares with it afterwards - just load the firmware, import those settings, and you're set..

Would probably require some boring coding, but at least I would find it very useful..
Old 13-06-2005   #11
CD Freaks Member

Don't know if it's my problem or Omni v2 Problem,
I found that after I apply Recommended Media Tweak at CS0P w/ v2,
There are no -R Media Codes Tweaked at all, Use to have few
for -R like following at the Ex Omni v1.x :

PRINCO /52 [ 4x ] -> PRINCO8X01 /52
RITEKG04 /52 [ 4x ] -> RITEKG05 /52
TYG01 /52 [ 4x ] -> TYG02 /52

Why, No Recommended Tweak for -R at Omni v2.....?

Also, Original Read speed of DVD-ROM is 16x & all others are 8x & +-R9 @ 6x.
Is it good to leave ROM at 16x & the rest all to 12x including the +-R9?

Thanks....!

::: Good Brand/Media ID for 1633s, 1653s (All 3s) Drive :::
(Please Click to Summit....!)
Talon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #12
New on Forum

Yeah Good Point Talon88

Great work C64K & C0deKing
Vacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #13
Retired Senior Administrator

Unfortunately CS0P has no room left in the -R bank to apply the patch. In v1 this caused the strategy switching to be disabled completely. v2 has just disabled the -R only and allowed the +R to still work .

-ROM was always 16x in the previous 12x read speed patch, so it should be left at 16x unless you experience read problems at this speed with DVD-ROM SL discs.

Last edited by C0deKing; 13-06-2005 at 11:10.
C0deKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

@C0deking

how does this "disable media learning" work ?
denglu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #15

It locks the learning after the first burn, so the drive always thinks it's burning the second disc after a reset learn
Old 13-06-2005   #16
CD Freaks Member

Thanks C0deKing for the answer &
the great EEPROM Utility & Omni...!

::: Good Brand/Media ID for 1633s, 1653s (All 3s) Drive :::
(Please Click to Summit....!)
Talon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #17
MyCE Senior Member

As always: Great work. Much appreciated!

One thing...
What's wrong with the textbox? I get this every time I scroll up/down.
Somehow it can be "fixed" by selecting text?!
Attached Images

DiggnSaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #18

Hmm, I can't reproduce this on my system. Can you give us some more details about your system. Do you have all of the latest video drivers etc...
Old 13-06-2005   #19
MyCE Senior Member

@C0deKing:
W2kSP4 with (nearly) all patches and ATI's drivers v5.5.
The same mystery occurs when using Win98SE.
DiggnSaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #20
CD Freaks Member

that's one hell of job, C64 & CodeKing. Nice work, keep it up. you guys make the Lite-ONs perform at thier best. So is the LEDtool incorporated into this version, or is that on the way, also?
1GB RAM
500+250+External 160GB
Viper5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #21

Thanks. Yes, v2 includes the LED Fix patch (Fix LED Colors)
Old 13-06-2005   #22
CD Freaks Member

okay cool.
1GB RAM
500+250+External 160GB
Viper5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #23
MyCE Resident

You make owning drives fun. Much thanks.
Old 13-06-2005   #24
New on Forum

C0deking

I am looking at the general patches page and only see two items listed: disable media learning and fix dead drive blink\enable crossflashing...

I have an 1673@1693KSO4.patchedcf.exe.

when i burn a disk (RICOHJPN-RO3-04) it shows +R not dvd-rom.

Its a new drive,and i have only burnt one disk.

I was expecting to see at least the two bitsetting options

thanks in advance

anvil
anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #25
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggnSaeg
@C0deKing:
W2kSP4 with (nearly) all patches and ATI's drivers v5.5.
The same mystery occurs when using Win98SE.
Yea, I got the same problem when I tested it on Win98. Doesn't happen on WinXP. The problem seems to be a problem with the OS and not with OP. It seems that older Windows doesn't properly re-draw scrollable multiline read-only text boxes for some reason. This happens only when the read-only flag is set; if all I do is change part of one line of code to remove the "read-only" flag when creating the box, the problem doesn't happen. This also doesn't happen with the read-only text box on the Drive ID tab because it doesn't have enough text to require scrolling. So it seems to be an obscure bug that gets triggered only when certain specfic conditions are met, and it just happens that this box in OP meets them. I don't have WinMe or Win2K to test on, so I had assumed that this was just a quirk with Win98, so I ignored it; in the future, I'll remove the read-only flag if the OS detected is Win2K or earlier.

In the meantime, if you switch to a different tab and then switch back again, Windows will re-draw the box properly. Or, you can select the text in the box and Windows will re-draw the box correctly.