Old 02-03-2010   #1

Need Firmware for ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S which allows Booksetting

I have seen MANY threads on here which mention people who have an ACER computer, with a ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S drive (which has LABELFLASH), with YA16 Firmware.

The threads seem to indicate that the drive is an OEM version of the Lite-on iHAS120 - and crossflashing to the newest firmware for that should solve the problem. I've tried crossflashing to iHAS120.7L0F.patched-eoht.exe, iHAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe, and ATAPI.iHAS120_6.7L0M.stock.exe - and had an interesting result (the same result with all of them)

Once I crossflash, I am able to change the bookset to DVD_ROM, but then the IMGBURN program does not want to burn - it says "Profile: N/A", and the "burn" button is grayed out. (I wrote my flash file before doing this - and when I put it back to the YA16 firmware, it burns fine, but I can't change the booktype)

So, I would like to know 2 things...

1) How can I determine which drive the ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S is for sure?

2) What is the correct firmware (and link) to crossflash to? (Also, do I need to do anything with the EEPROM in order to get it to work)

If you need any more info to help you solve the problem, please let me know, and I will do my best to get you the answer ASAP.

Thanks,

Rennie_Ben
rennie_ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #2
cvs
MyCE Resident

Re: Need Firmware for ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S which allows Booksetting

DH16A6S is an iHAS120 clone, and the HAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe should be the newest firmware available for it and it should work just fine. The DH16A6S has been successfully crossflashed before.

Did you restart your machine after flashing your drive? Which program have you used to change the booktype? It sounds like a software issue related to IMGBURN to me rather than a crossflash related issue...
cvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010   #3

hi,
it is true imgburn cannot change the booktype nor the liteon utility as well
which software should we use to change the booktype?
thanks
dany-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010   #4
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany-boy View Post
hi,
it is true imgburn cannot change the booktype nor the liteon utility as well
which software should we use to change the booktype?
thanks
If your question is specifically about the DH16A6S OEM drives, then it would appear so, that's why all these people are desperate to crossflash their drives! If bitsetting would work, then presumably people won't bother to crossflash...

If the EEPROM Utility/Settings Utility fails to set the booktype on these drives, then nothing else will work. It is a firmware restriction - i.e. the drive does not respond to the standard bitsetting commands - and as such no other tool can do anything about it.

If you want bitsetting ability you have to crossflash ... its as simple as that, and there's no other way around it. Besides, crossflashing will upgrade your drive to 20x and the iHAS120 firmware is much newer and I'm sure better than the ACER one, not to mention that you can use some of CK's patched firmwares as well... iHAS120 7LC3 firmware seems to be the latest available ...
Old 28-10-2010   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Eeprom Utility v6.01 just about does it all, except flash the drive. Look thru the tabs for the feature you need, such as "Convert Drive" under the CrossFlash tab.

Until you flash to iHAS120, bit-setting cannot be done. Not even the NTi software that came with my Acer, could bit-set the DH-16A6S drive to DVD-ROM, and if I didn't check ROMEO in the software, the .avi files showed in my standalone DVD player with MS-DOS names !!! ..

So flash the drive ..... Click the READ button in the Flash Utility to save your YA16 firmware as a .bin file. Then use the Eeprom Uitlity to save the eeprom info as a .bin file. After that, you're safe. Unless the power fails.

Flash the drive with any of CK's unscrambled iHAS120 firmwares by clicking the WRITE button. Remember to use the convert button under CrossFlash in the eeprom utility once the burner has been flashed. Whether you do this before, or after a reboot, I can't remember..... I think, flash and convert, then reboot.

That's all there is to it, unless the power fails.
mullardel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010   #6
MyCE Junior Member

One important detail, bit-setting to DVD-ROM may require the use of a patched firmware.

I had to reflash from the stock unscrambled iHAS120 firmware, to iHAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe. After that, DVD types under the heading Book-Type in the utility, would change to DVD-ROM when the SET button was clicked. I also ticked "Set as Default" and the settings have held after many reboots. DVD+R's are now identified as DVD-ROM after a burn ... so yes, this does work.

If you have good media, set the drive to Smartburn only. You might even prefer to leave those kind of options off entirely. I've made over a dozen burns with this crossflash now, and they are as good as any I can make with a BenQ DW1640 and Solidburn.... I scanned the disks in the BenQ DW1640 to see how they would score, I couldn't see a difference.

mullardel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #7
MyCE Resident

Its not that easy, because some programs identify the media by using the media type, which is correct, others are cheated by using the book type - which is the wrong way.....

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennie_ben View Post
I have seen MANY threads on here which mention people who have an ACER computer, with a ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S drive (which has LABELFLASH), with YA16 Firmware.

The threads seem to indicate that the drive is an OEM version of the Lite-on iHAS120 - and crossflashing to the newest firmware for that should solve the problem. I've tried crossflashing to iHAS120.7L0F.patched-eoht.exe, iHAS120.7LC2.patched-fr-eoht.exe, and ATAPI.iHAS120_6.7L0M.stock.exe - and had an interesting result (the same result with all of them)

Once I crossflash, I am able to change the bookset to DVD_ROM, but then the IMGBURN program does not want to burn - it says "Profile: N/A", and the "burn" button is grayed out. (I wrote my flash file before doing this - and when I put it back to the YA16 firmware, it burns fine, but I can't change the booktype)

So, I would like to know 2 things...

1) How can I determine which drive the ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S is for sure?

2) What is the correct firmware (and link) to crossflash to? (Also, do I need to do anything with the EEPROM in order to get it to work)

If you need any more info to help you solve the problem, please let me know, and I will do my best to get you the answer ASAP.

Thanks,

Rennie_Ben
do u have the ya16 backup file? if you do, can you send it to me by email? i need it to put mine back to the ya16 firmware as well. pcxpress12@yahoo.com
pcxpress12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012   #9
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxpress12 View Post
do u have the ya16 backup file? if you do, can you send it to me by email? i need it to put mine back to the ya16 firmware as well. pcxpress12@yahoo.com
You can download both YA16 and YA17 from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vvqagziy6xm6a69

and next time make sure you do a backup of your current firmware before you jump into crossflashing!
Old 22-07-2014   #10
MyCE Junior Member

Unfortunately the link is not valid anymore.
cvs can you upload agin the 2 firmwares YA16 and YA17?
Thanks!
HM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014   #11
MyCE Junior Member

Or anybody else?
HM01 is offline   Reply With Quote