Old 27-06-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

LED flashing yellow on SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A after firmware upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded my SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A to UYS3. Whenever ripping or burning a DVD/CD my LED light on the drive would flash green. After the firmware upgrade, the LED now flashes yellow/amber. Is there a reason for this? I tested out the drive by ripping a movie and burning it onto a dual layer disc as an ISO image using ImgBurn, and it works fine. So I'm not real worried, I'm just wondering what the color change means?

Thanks for your help!
doveplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006   #2
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: LED flashing yellow on SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A after firmware upgrade

Anyone?
Old 28-06-2006   #3
New on Forum

I Flashed my drive with UYS3 and like you it works perfectly except for the orange led flashing when it burns but otherwise it seems fine. Would also like to know why but its cool.
alk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

Not a single person can help with this? I mean is the drive just engineered to blink orange after the firmware flash in order to show that it's not the original firmware and therefore the warranty is void?
Old 30-06-2006   #5
New on Forum

That is probably a correct assumption, but I am still happy with the upgrade. I guess we could flash it back to the original firmware. I hope you saved the orig bin file, I didn't oh well.
alk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007   #6
New on Forum

I am having the same problem. Anyone know the reason why it's flashing yellow and is there a way to fix this without going back to the original firmware?
LH1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007   #7
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

I don't know what the big deal is. If you flash the drive with official f/w then no worries. Yellow or green led who cares, if the drive works correctly. Right?

I don't think C0deKing has this drive so i doubt he will investigate this.

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008   #8
New on Forum

The same thing happened to me with the same drive. What it means is that the firmware is not completely compatible with the drive. The DW-Q58A is actually a rebaged LiteOn SOSW-833S. So supposidly update works perfectly with that drive but no one told me until after I had problems not to do this. My drive burns fine, but reads about 1/4th the speed. I can't play DVD's almost at all, and it reads game discs a lot slower. I am trying to reflash the firmware.

This is a post from someone who had the same thing but Mtkflash hasn't been working for me.

Lomanx: _____________________________

I had a bad experience with the UYS3 firmware (made my drive superslow). Like you I backed up my UDS1 firmware with ltnFW, and didn't know until later that ltnFW doesn't work properly with this generation of Lite-On drives. That is why is it doesn't update the drive's firmware and it also doesn't properly backup firmwares from this drive. Try loading the backed up firmware through Omnipatcher and it'll tell you the firmware is bad. The only program that I know that works with this drive is MTKFLASH, not MTKwinFlash. I got a backup firmware made with MTKFLASH from another user and indeed, it loaded up without problems in Omnipatcher.

All this information was not known to me when I updated my firmware back to my backup of UDS1 (made with ltnFW). My drive went dead and the computer doesn't even detect it anymore. Even MTKflash couldn't access the secondary IDE ports because I'm assuming my computer (Inspiron 6000) disabled those ports when it didn't detect anything. What I did to revive the drive was I borrowed a slimline drive from another laptop, boot the computer to pure dos, and hotswap the drive with the dead sony one. MTKflash can then access the secondary IDE ports to reflash the drive. Just make sure you flash it with the proper UDS1 firmware, not the backup one made with ltnFW. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to share my experience.

Supposedly this works, gonna try it.

jianhuang8:_______________________

My way is : download UYE3.EXE from http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/
Use the flashfix.exe and upx.exe to patch it. them run this UYS3WIN.exe

it works.