Old 11-05-2008   #1
MyCE Senior Member

General firmware and operating questions about Lite- On DH-20A4P

I just installed the OEM DH-20A4P that I bought a few months ago. I've semi-retired my 1633s@1653s as I've opened and fixed it once before and hope to do it again so I can use it as a scanner.

I'll enumerate the questions so they'll be easier to refer to.

1) The stock firmware on this drive is 9P54. After reading several other threads, some users had 9P57 (probably a later drive - mine had an 04C extension to the model # on the drive). How much of a difference will the 9P59 firmware make?

2) I don't think the latest Omnipatcher can load the firmware for this drive.
With the 9P54 I don't see a multi-color LED scheme. Does anyone see multi-color LED's for read and write on their drive?

3) What is the recommended Nero Discspeed disk quality setting for this drive - 4x or 8X. I've read that all the later drives should be 8x, but I still see some scans using the 4x speed.

4) Does the LtnRpc region control tool work this drive? One other poster said it caused problems for his 20A1P. When I first loaded the drive, there was no region setting, and after my first burn, it was automatically set to 1. My first scan was so-so (q=84), and Nero CD-DVD speed initally couldn't read the disk for a scan, but the second time I loaded CD-DVD speed, the scan was able to be performed.

5) I'm just about to read the Lite-On DH20A4P fastburn thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-...are-new-231875

Any opinions as to whether it's useful to load that firmware? I was thinking it would be wiser if I had a 2nd 20A4P to play around with before changing to this firmware.

6) Has anyone tried this drive using an external 5.25" enclosure via the USB port. In the event I see a good sale for a 2nd one, I was thinking of putting it in an enclosure.

7) I know most say that software doesn't matter, but others feel that it does. Has anyone noticed any differences when using either Nero, Imgburn or Ashampoo (or some other program)?

8) Opinions as to which of the following should be enabled:

Smartburn
Hypertuning
Overspeed

9) How does this drive perform with CD's? Lite-On's have a reputation of not being able to handle CD's very well. My old 1633s rarely ever gave me anything but a CD coaster. For CD's I still use my old trusty TDK CD writer.

I'm not expecting anyone to answer every question, but hopefully there'll be enough members who answer a few so that all the bases are covered.
WiltonParmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008   #2
MyCE Senior Member

Re: General firmware and operating questions about Lite- On DH-20A4P

As of this writing there have been over 80 views to the above post and not one response. Isn't there anyone who can answer just a few of these questions, or point me to a thread where they've been discussed before?
WiltonParmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

I can give you two. I don't have this model, but another model (20A3H) of the Lite-On.

Quote:
3) What is the recommended Nero Discspeed disk quality setting for this drive - 4x or 8X. I've read that all the later drives should be 8x, but I still see some scans using the 4x speed.
I've read somewhere that when you scan with Nero 8x is ok, but when scanning with DVDInfoPro, 4x speed is better. So that is what I'm using.

Quote:

Smartburn
Hypertuning
Overspeed
Overspeed is if you want to burn 8x rated media one step faster, as 12x speed. Most media today is 18x rated, so I don't use it. I found through my scannings that 8x burning generated the best results and I don't burn that many discs so it can take the time it needs. I'm in no hurry.

Smartburn depends on Hypertuning. It will improve the write strategy in the firmware and learn the media, so in theory the next burn will be better.

Hypertuning is two settings (ImgBurn). Force hypertuning is to forget the write strategy in the firmware and create a new one. On line hypertuning is check the write quality during burning and modify the write strategy in realtime, in order to get better writing quality.

I have only On line hyptertuning and Smartburn enabled.

I've once tried to have all settings enabled and the first burn seems to be working ok, but the second and third seems to generate terribly burnings. So I disabled the Force hypertuning. The only way to know is to do some experiments. Burn a couple of discs with the settings enabled and scan them.
Old 17-05-2008   #4
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonParmenter View Post
I just installed the OEM DH-20A4P that I bought a few months ago. I've semi-retired my 1633s@1653s as I've opened and fixed it once before and hope to do it again so I can use it as a scanner.

I'll enumerate the questions so they'll be easier to refer to.

1) The stock firmware on this drive is 9P54. After reading several other threads, some users had 9P57 (probably a later drive - mine had an 04C extension to the model # on the drive). How much of a difference will the 9P59 firmware make?
Compared to 9P54, it might improve burn quality at 16x and improve upon media compatibility with obscure/older media. Other than that, not sure.
Quote:
2) I don't think the latest Omnipatcher can load the firmware for this drive.
With the 9P54 I don't see a multi-color LED scheme. Does anyone see multi-color LED's for read and write on their drive?
As mentioned a number of times in various places in the OmniPatcher thread [though not very clearly ], the last DVDRW drives supported by OmniPatcher were the 1693S drives. After that, no support.

BTW, there is only a green LED, which means no chance for a multicolor LED patch--support for it is just not there.
Quote:
Do a bit of testing, comparing 4x and 8x speeds. If you get spikes at 8x that you don't get at 4x at the beginning of the scan, choose 4x. Otherwise, choose 8x.
Quote:
4) Does the LtnRpc region control tool work this drive? One other poster said it caused problems for his 20A1P. When I first loaded the drive, there was no region setting, and after my first burn, it was automatically set to 1. My first scan was so-so (q=84), and Nero CD-DVD speed initally couldn't read the disk for a scan, but the second time I loaded CD-DVD speed, the scan was able to be performed.
It should work, but there might be the risk of the same thing happening to your drive as to the other person's drive. Probably just worth it to wait until you have to use the region reset or RPC1 options, just to be on the safe side.
Quote:
5) I'm just about to read the Lite-On DH20A4P fastburn thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-...are-new-231875

Any opinions as to whether it's useful to load that firmware? I was thinking it would be wiser if I had a 2nd 20A4P to play around with before changing to this firmware.
It's useful, but it'd be wise to make sure your drive is performing properly BEFORE applying the modified firmware. Also, whether or not it helps with your particular drive and media depends on a number of things. But it usually helps things, and doesn't really hurt anything.

6) No response.
Quote:
7) I know most say that software doesn't matter, but others feel that it does. Has anyone noticed any differences when using either Nero, Imgburn or Ashampoo (or some other program)?
Not really quality wise. The burn process might go better with the larger buffer and buffer recovery offered by ImgBurn, but other than that...
Quote:

Smartburn
Hypertuning
Overspeed
I'm happy with just Online HyperTuning on. Smartburn is enabled by default, and doesn't make a difference one way or another unless overspeeding, so leave it on. Overspeed is...well, you decide if you wanna overspeed, eh? HyperTuning should only be used when the drive automatically chooses [drive LED will double blink].
Quote:
9) How does this drive perform with CD's? Lite-On's have a reputation of not being able to handle CD's very well. My old 1633s rarely ever gave me anything but a CD coaster. For CD's I still use my old trusty TDK CD writer.
Still fairly poorly. There is a test firmware, 9PV1 [or it may be updated to 9PV2 or newer, not sure] that we got on the forum to help CD writing quality, but I don't remember whether or not C0deKing released an enhanced version of the test firmware. I'd just keep using the dedicated CD writer.

Welcome to The Club! Need help? Just ask! Then be sure to stick around, have a chat, help some folks out, chew on some knowledge, and help make Myce a better place.

You might need these search tools: Site Search ||| Forum Search ||| Google (be sure to append site:myce.com to find content from this site)

Forum FAQ ||| Join us! Register now! ||| List of moderators at Myce
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote