Old 03-10-2012   #1

Find a good compatible drive with iXtreme burner max

hi all,
i'm trying to find a compatible drive with iXtreme burner max...
TEAC DV-W524GSB
PIONEER DVR-219CHV
PLEXTOR PX-L890SA

are these good?
for one of these with ihas should i flash?
are rev B only or are A & C too?
are there experiences with these burners?
if you know where buy a good and cheap one, can you post here? thanks
dante96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #2
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante96 View Post
hi all,
i'm trying to find a compatible drive with iXtreme burner max...
TEAC DV-W524GSB
PIONEER DVR-219CHV
PLEXTOR PX-L890SA

are these good?
for one of these with ihas should i flash?
are rev B only or are A & C too?
are there experiences with these burners?
if you know where buy a good and cheap one, can you post here? thanks
The TEAC DV-W524GSB and the PLEXTOR PX-L890SA should be LiteOn iHASx24 B clones. They should definitely not be A series drives. While I can't guarantee that this is the case, and unless someone has any evidence to the contrary (which I haven't seen so far), I would assume that neither of the two manufacturers have switched production to the C series while maintaining the same model name for these drives, so they are probably still B series clones.

Finding one of these in stock might not be that easy though! Try a Google search, or Google Shopping. I've seen the TEAC available on Amazon.uk, but obviously availability depends on where you live. If you can't find them at established retailers, then eBay might be the only other choice.

Forget about the Pioneer, it is QSI clone not a LiteON, and hence incompatible with iXtreme burner max.
cvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3
Senior Administrator

If you're only interested in overburning DVD+R-DL, then the Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-Plus or AD-5280S-CB-Robot could be an option for you.

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #4

i've just bought TEAC DV-W524GSB... i hope it's compatible
Sony Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-Plus is compatible with ixtreme burner max? has rev A, B or C?
Old 04-10-2012   #5
Author of DVD Decrypter & ImgBurn

It doesn't need the burner max firmware, overburning DVD+R DL is supported right out of the box.
Old 04-10-2012   #6

but is good as ixtreme burner max?
what are differences from these?
5280S-CB
5280S-CB-PLUS
5280S-CB-ROBOT
Old 04-10-2012   #7
Author of DVD Decrypter & ImgBurn

Here are a couple of threads showing burns+scans from the 5280S-CB drives.

http://club.myce.com/f86/ad-5280s-cb...80s-cb-327708/
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=20192

You can read about the drives and the differences between them over here...

http://www.vinpowerdigital.com/en-us...ord=DVD_Burner
Old 05-10-2012   #8

thanks... this burner is only on amazon.com but cannot be shipped in Italy
can someone help me? thanks
Old 31-10-2012   #9

today is arrived my plextor px-l890sa with firmware 1.07...
i tryied to flash ihas124b,224b and 624b but gives always error...
i've read that to be flashed need fw 1.03; when i try to downgrade it, gives an error:
can you help me?
Attached Images

Old 31-10-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

If my memory is correct you can only crossflash A series LiteOn you have a B series
jamescooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012   #11

i have an idea... if someone can give me his original Plextor fw (bin extension) i can flash it into mine and i can fix this problem...
Old 31-10-2012   #12
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
today is arrived my plextor px-l890sa with firmware 1.07...
i tryied to flash ihas124b,224b and 624b but gives always error...
i've read that to be flashed need fw 1.03; when i try to downgrade it, gives an error:
can you help me?
Tell us what exactly have you tried to do in order to crossflash your drive and what was the problem?

Where did you read that your drive has to be downgraded to fw 1.03 before crossflashing? I'd rather doubt that such downgrading step would be needed really ...

PS. The official Plextor flasher will not allow a firmware downgrade if I remember correctly ... but C0deKing has two flashable unscrambled stock firmwares (1.03 and 1.05) on his website which should be able to do that trick if really necessary ...

Make sure you dump both your Firmware and your EEPROM before attempting any crossflash!!!
Old 31-10-2012   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvs View Post
Tell us what exactly have you tried to do in order to crossflash your drive and what was the problem?

Where did you read that your drive has to be downgraded to fw 1.03 before crossflashing? I'd rather doubt that such downgrading step would be needed really ...

PS. The official Plextor flasher will not allow a firmware downgrade if I remember correctly ... but C0deKing has two flashable unscrambled stock firmwares (1.03 and 1.05) on his website which should be able to do that trick if really necessary ...

Make sure you dump both your Firmware and your EEPROM before attempting any crossflash!!!
First of all i made EEPROM and Flash dump.
I tryied to flash ihas 624b, but when i load the bin, the tool says: error writing flash to drive...
My plextor has fw 1.07..
can you link me these 2 firmwares please?
thanks in advance
Old 31-10-2012   #14
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
can you link me these 2 firmwares please?
thanks in advance
Here they are:

http://club.myce.com/f43/post-new-fi...2/#post2579126

http://club.myce.com/f43/post-new-fi...ml#post2577866
Old 31-10-2012   #15

thanks very much.
now need i to flash 1.03 stock and after ihas x24b with flash utility, right?
what version should i choose from 224b, 424b or 624b?
can we talk on msn or other instant messaging?
Old 31-10-2012   #16
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
thanks very much.
now need i to flash 1.03 stock and after ihas x24b with flash utility, right?
what version should i choose from 224b, 424b or 624b?
Yes, try that route and see if C0deKing's 1.03 flasher will work or not ...

You might as well go for the 624 B, since it is the most fully featured B family firmware...
Old 31-10-2012   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvs View Post
Yes, try that route and see if C0deKing's 1.03 flasher will work or not ...

You might as well go for the 624 B, since it is the most fully featured B family firmware...
i tryied to flash stock 1.03 and 1.05 but is always says: "Error writing FLASH to drive!"
can you help me step by step please?
Old 02-11-2012   #18
KTL
MyCE Resident

There's a L890SA 'R' model now, which is likely a 'C' series drive. It's possible that is what you have. Is the blue LED indicator on the front rectangular or circular?
Old 02-11-2012   #19
MyCE Resident

Another simple way to check whether your Plextor PX-L890SA is a 'C' Drive or 'B' Drive. Please use Flash Utility to find out the flash read size. 'C' Drive is 1MB while 'B' Drive is 2MB.
Attached Images

2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #20

i succesfully flashed 424b... thanks to cvs...
Old 04-11-2012   #21
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
i succesfully flashed 424b... thanks to cvs...
For those in the same situation, which might be interested to crossflash their drive, the problem in this case was that the Flash Utility does not support flashing these Plextor drives.

The way to crossflash these drives to one of their iHAS224/424/624 B equivalent is to use the 'unlocked flasher method'.

Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k2kf52w8x92p9go

It contains an unlocked iHAS624 B GL29 exe firmware and a normal iHAS624 B GL29 bin firmware dump, as well as an unlocked Plextor 1.07 exe firmware.

Extract the files somewhere convenient and then use your mouse to right click on the GL29 firmware bin file and then click copy, and select the 624 exe flasher with your mouse, right click on it, and click paste (alternatively you could just drag and drop the bin file on top of the exe file). Click yes when the dialog box appears, make sure you select your Plextor drive in the drop down list, particularly if you have more than one drive connected to your computer or any virtual drives installed, and then click Update to start flashing your drive.

This will flash your drive with the 624 firmware, and once this operation is completed, the Flash Utility will work again and can be used in the future to flash the drive with any other compatible firmware of your choice (including the iXtreme Burner Max firmware, for those interested to crossflash their drive for this purpose).

Once the flash completes successfully, you'll then need to use the EEPROM Utility's Convert Drive feature, to get rid of the blinking light. Once that is done, then your drive should be successfully crossflashed.

If you want to use the iXtreme Burner Max firmware, then you'll need to to flash it to your drive using the Flash Utility as per the instructions provided in that package (http://www.ixtreme.net/ixtreme-lt-li...-download.html).

IMPORTANT!

As usual, it is very important to make sure that before you start, you have a valid firmware dump of your Plextor firmware, and even more importantly, to make sure you have an EEPROM backup of your drive as well (remember that the EEPROM of each drive is unique to that drive, as it contains factory calibration data unique to the drive in question).

Finally, make sure you are selecting the right drive in the flasher's list and make sure that the drive you are flashing is indeed a B series equivalent model! The unlocked flasher used in this method will not check that you are flashing the correct drive or not, so if you flash the wrong drive by mistake because you weren't careful enough to select the right drive in the drop down list, or if the drive you are flashing is an A, C or D series drive instead of a B series drive, you will kill that drive!

This method is a bit more complicated than usual because of the lack of Flash Utility support, so one should be very careful at what they are doing and how they are doing it. Of course, as usual crossflashing is carried out at your own risk, and if you do it you will use warranty.
Old 09-11-2012   #22

last question... now can i return on original fw?
Old 09-11-2012   #23
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
last question... now can i return on original fw?
You should be able to use the Flash Utility to flash back your original 1.07 firmware backup, and the EEPROM Utility to flash back your original EEPROM backup file.

That should bring it back to its original state.