Old 25-01-2010   #1

DVD / CD drive not recognized in Windows 7: SOLUTION HERE

If you are having troubles with your optical drives not being recognized in Windows 7, here is the solution that worked for me.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling over and over didn't do anything through device manager. Disk manager was just as useless.

The problem was with the upper and lower filters in the registry.

Here is the solution: http://windows7news.com/2009/01/15/windows-7-not-recognizing-dvd-drive/

Just in case that link ever goes bad, here is the process, quoted:

Option 1:
1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key
<code>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</code>
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.
Option 2:
Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click Command Prompt -> Run as administrator.
Paste the following line and hit enter afterwards
<code>bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS</code>

This should solve the problem of DVD drives not being recognized in Windows 7.
MightyUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010   #2

One more note:

The cause of the problem appears to have been iTunes.
  • C Drive: 400 GB WD
  • D Drive: SATA Raid 0-Striped 750 GB
  • 2 x Lite-On iHAS324-A
  • 600w Power Supply
MightyUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #3

Re: DVD / CD drive not recognized in Windows 7: SOLUTION HERE

Thanks a ton , i have been troubled by this . I'll try this
Illrockmerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyUnicorn View Post
One more note:

The cause of the problem appears to have been iTunes.
Yeah, its a shame.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyUnicorn View Post
If you are having troubles with your optical drives not being recognized in Windows 7, here is the solution that worked for me.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling over and over didn't do anything through device manager. Disk manager was just as useless.

The problem was with the upper and lower filters in the registry.

Here is the solution: http://windows7news.com/2009/01/15/w...ing-dvd-drive/

Just in case that link ever goes bad, here is the process, quoted:

Option 1:
1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key
<CODE>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</CODE>
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.
Option 2:
Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click Command Prompt -> Run as administrator.
<CODE>bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS</CODE>

This should solve the problem of DVD drives not being recognized in Windows 7.
This worked perfectly for me. I've been messing with this problem for weeks. Thanks!
PaxMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011   #6

Thank you this worked perfectly.
gwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011   #7

Thanks! it helped me. it works perfectly well.
kommineni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012   #8
MyCE Rookie

Just bumped on these suggestions but I'm affraid they didn't work for me :-(
Starting to lose all hope on this issue - question is I can see the device on device manager and on explorer, can read cd's and dvd's but can't burn anything on them -nor data, nor audio, anything at all
j_fradique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012   #9
MyCE Resident

Have you tried a right clik on the drive in Windows explorer/ Properties ?
Recording tab . Set the drive as the default recorder for you system.
Old 31-10-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fradique View Post
Just bumped on these suggestions but I'm affraid they didn't work for me :-(
Starting to lose all hope on this issue - question is I can see the device on device manager and on explorer, can read cd's and dvd's but can't burn anything on them -nor data, nor audio, anything at all

Without giving us the errors you get no one will be able to help you!!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014   #11

Hello. I would greatly appreciate assistance with this issue. I too was unable to find the drive for the CD/DVD. I have tried all the recommended solutions from going to “regedit” to remove the upper and lower filters (filters do not appear) I have gone into device manager, however, it’s not showing there so I can’t uninstall and then reinstall. I even went to the BIOS and did see the CD/DVD listing per someone’s suggestion. I’ve tried Microsoft Fix It, which by the way is how I found out about MYCE.

I followed every resolution Microsoft offered and still nothing. I should say that Microsoft Fix It did notice that the drive was missing, however, they did not have a solution for it.

I have replaced the CD/DVD drive and still nothing.

The computer is originally Vista Home Premium, and per Microsoft Upgrade Advisor, I uploaded to Windows 7 Ultimate. When the system was Vista, the drive could not be found and I started using an external drive, however, it became problematic when I needed the USB drive.
Bottom line, I couldn’t find it in Vista and now in Windows 7.

I tried Option 2:
<CODE>bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS</CODE>

After doing this, I received an error message stating that this was the wrong syntax.

One more thing, is there such a thing as downloading a DVD/CD driver to replace the one that can’t be found? And if so, does anyone know of a reputable source?

I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this. If I could not use an external drive, it would be great. Thanks in advance!!!
tjliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014   #12
Administrator

Welcome to the forums tjliny.

It is possible that you have a hardware issue of some sort. Are you trying to use an IDE/PATA drive or does your optical drive use a SATA connector?

Have you tried new cables? If you are using the older style IDE/PATA drive, do you have the drive configured properly as Slave or Master, and are you using the correct connection on the cable?

If you are using SATA, have you tried different ports on the motherboard? Have you looked for new motherboard chipset drivers? The problem may be in the SATA controller, and the drivers for these are usually found in the chipset drivers unless you have more than one SATA controller on the motherboard and need separate drivers for the 2nd controller.

You won't find a reputable site that distributes the drivers for optical drives. These drivers come with every Windows operating system.

There is another test you can try. You'll need to obtain a bootable disc. This can be something like a live Linux cd, or an install disc for Windows, or even a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD. Once you have this, go into the bios of your computer and make sure that the boot order is set to look for the optical drive first. Save the settings in the bios, then try to boot into the bootable disc. This will test the optical drive outside of the Windows environment. If the drive will boot into the disc, then you know that the hardware is functioning correctly, and your problem is software.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014   #13

Thank you...and thank you VERY MUCH for responding so quickly. I'm sorry...I tried to give you all the facts, however, I forgot to mention that I am using a laptop. HP Pavillion dv2736us.

By the way, I went to HP to get drivers, but they no longer offer drivers for the computer. I bought it in 2007.
tjliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014   #14
Administrator

Laptops complicate matters, even in replacing the drive.

HP does offer drivers for your computer, but only for Vista: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3650837 Even though they include your model as one that can be updated to Windows 7 they have neglected to provide driver downloads for it. This means you are pretty much stuck regarding SATA controller driver updates, unless you can find the hardware specifications of the motherboard.

HP shows that it is an AMD system, using a 2.1 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-64, but that doesn't tell me which chipset is in the motherboard.

It is possible that the generic drivers found in Windows 7 are fine, and this is something else entirely. It would be best to do the boot disc test and confirm that the hardware is working properly.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote