Old 26-07-2002   #1
New on Forum

Anyone notice a sligth buzzing noise when moving your mouse with a 40x liteon?

Weirdest thing. Ever since I installed my liteon 40x cdrw drive every time i move my mouse there is a very low buzzing sound coming out of my speakers. When i mute CD Audio in windows it goes away. anyone else notice this?? If u have the drive, turn up all your volumes and make sure the cd audio isnt muted and make sure the cd audio cable is connected from your CDRW to your soundcard, and move your mouse. see if you hear anything. when holding down a mouse button it gets a little louder when u move the mouse with the button depressed.

weird.
TekViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2002   #2
Retired Moderator

Are you wearing headphones? I hear it when I do sometimes when the volume is up high. also, I hear it whenever I see sliding menus. I never hear it through my speakers though.
Old 26-07-2002   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Perhaps ur right, I can hear a faint buzzing noise when my sound is turned up high through my headphones but i have a 32x lite-on. im gonna try disconnecting the audio cable from the cdrw drive and see what that does.
c0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2002   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

After disconnecting the audio cable from my lite-on drive i can barely make out that buzzing noise.

c0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2002   #5
New on Forum

im not wearing headphones, i hear it through my klipsch promedias. i wonder why this happens...
Old 27-07-2002   #6
New on Forum

i know there are more people here with this drive. if you have it, please test it for me. turn up all your volumes and make sure u have the cd audio cable connected, analog, to your soundcard.
Old 27-07-2002   #7
mjc
New on Forum

I would say the problem is most likely a bad ground connection. Try a new cable, make sure the drive is properly screwed in, try a new mouse if it is a corded one, try repositionig the receiver if it is cordless.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2002   #8
CD Freaks Member

This happened with my HP 8200a (Sony CRX120E/140E) as well. I haven't noticed my LTR-32123S doing this... then again, my soundcard doesn't have any internal analog connectors... I just play CDs through the IDE bus. I don't hear anything like this out of the headphone jack on the drive...

Home:
Matsushita/Panasonic SR-8585 DVD 8/40 v1W32
Lite-On LTR-32123S w/XSU1 "LTR-40125S"

Laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200):
Toshiba SD-C2612 DVD 8/24 v1D23
Matsushita/Panasonic UJDA360 CD-RW 24/10/24 v1.04

Lite-On SOHW-1693S w/KSOA in 1394/USB2 box
godzilla525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2002   #9
Retired Senior Admin

No I did not have such problems with my Lite-On's although I have serious noise issues with my Asus DVD E616 which is making VERY loud buzzing noise in my speakers if the analog output is used.
Old 27-07-2002   #10
New on Forum

you can play the cd through the IDE channel? How? Whats the analog and digital connections that go to the soundcard for then?
Old 27-07-2002   #11
CD Freaks Member

A lot of media players offer the option of reading audio CDs digitally, using the same read commands used for ripping.

CD-Reader for Winamp is a good example.

Another way would be to use the S/PDIF connection offered by most drives that could be connected to the appropriate sound card. (I'd use mine that way, except that I would have to change a jumper and lose my external S/PDIF input).

When using WDM sound card drivers, an option shows up in the multimedia control panel that would allow the drive to read audio CDs digitally over the IDE all the time, enabling older programs and games to take advantage of the increase in sound quality.

Playing normally through the S/PDIF or Analog outputs allows the headphone jack to work, but when an audio CD is read as data, all those outputs go dead.

1. Normal 1x playback. Full analog functionality, digital data obtainable using S/PDIF output on CD-ROM drive. No CD data travels over IDE bus. Makes use of potentially crummy DAC in the CD-ROM drive, if S/PDIF is used then clock jitter and sound card resampling are a source of concern unless a good DAC/soundcard is used, not an AC'97 codec.

2. Digital audio extraction (read as data). No analog functionality or S/PDIF output, but data travels over IDE bus and stays digital until it hits the sound card's DAC. Less chance of significant clock jitter or resampling if a good DAC/sound card is used, not an AC'97 codec.

AC'97 is really a toss-up whether or not it will sound better than the CD-ROM's DAC; it depends on a lot of other variables.

Home:
Matsushita/Panasonic SR-8585 DVD 8/40 v1W32
Lite-On LTR-32123S w/XSU1 "LTR-40125S"

Laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200):
Toshiba SD-C2612 DVD 8/24 v1D23
Matsushita/Panasonic UJDA360 CD-RW 24/10/24 v1.04

Lite-On SOHW-1693S w/KSOA in 1394/USB2 box
godzilla525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002   #12
New on Forum

problem is gone. i dont know what fixed it since i did a bunch of stuff at the same time. i installed a new motherboard and used a different cd audio cable, not sure which one did the trick but no more buzzing.
Old 29-07-2008   #13
New on Forum

Re: Anyone notice a sligth buzzing noise when moving your mouse with a 40x liteon?

I had the same problem, though it wasnt cuased by installing a liteon 40x cdrw drive, i opened a youtube video, and my computer started buzzing, it could be to much power to the mouse(swich your mouse), or just try unpluging, and re-pluging in your speakers.

good luck,
Ajl

Edit:if problem persists, try the way you removed it, or try these methods.
buzzbee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008   #14
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Anyone notice a sligth buzzing noise when moving your mouse with a 40x liteon?

this thread is nearly six years old. no one waits for an answer anymore.
Old 03-07-2011   #15

I know this thread is ancient, but it's ranked high on google. I fixed this problem by moving my mouse to the USB port on the other side of my laptop, the side opposite of the audio jack. Apparently there was some crosstalk going on between the two.
nathanielcolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012   #16

!! Solution Ahead !!

Well that was a frustrating day so I wanted to go ahead and post what finally worked for me in all the places I've looked.

So I head this annoying problem of hum / buzz / hiss / high pitch computer noise whenever I had HD activity or scroll the screen with the mouse.

I have:
Cakewalk UA-1G USB Audio Interface (Soundcard)
M-Audio BX5a Monitors

The noise was happening only when the USB cable from the soundcard was connected through the computer.

I have tried most of the things I've read (luckily I had everything needed):
(Non of these helped)
- Mute every input source (Mic, line-in, etc)
- Disable onboard sound
- Connect the USB sound card to an external, self powered USB hub
- Installed a PCI USB card in connected the USB sound card to it
- Connect the ground from a USB cable directly to a wall ground (tried a cable tv and AC outlets to no use)
- Different BIOS settings (Spread Spectrum, Voltages, IRQ, etc)
- Different software settings (From windows and from the UA-1G interface)

The only thing that worked:

--> Disconnect the ground from the speakers!

For me it was easy as I had cables which had ground connectors for a different region which uses a male ground pin from the power outlet. Here were I live we use a female ground pin in the outlet so the cable I happen to have had only 2 PINs and therefore practically disconnected the ground from the speakers outlets.

Silence, finally! :-)

The phenomena is called 'Ground Loop' or 'Earth Loop' AFAIK, since for me it got resolved and I didn't care having the speakers not grounded I didn't continue to research the subject.

Just for your information, next on my list of things to try were:
1. Hum eliminators such as - http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html
2. Balanced cables (which my monitors support but my Audio Interface didn't)

Hope this help and saves someone time,

Best of luck

Ron
ronkupper is offline   Reply With Quote