New on Forum

how to lower burn speed in nero?

hi,

i appologise in advance for what may prove to be a bloody stupid question;

first my specs;

windows xp pro
gigabyte ga-7n400-l motherboard
i gig ram
plextor px-716a (shows as udma4 in ide properties) firmware flashed from 1.04 to 1.08 sucessfully - original tla #0304
athlon 1700 cpu
nero ultra edition 6.6.0.14
plextools professional 2.23

i recently bought plextor the 716a and got some media to use with it.the memorex dvd-r 4x media i chose is apparently hated by this drive and none of them have ever passed data verification in nero.

all these were burnt at 4x because no other speed shows as available in nero at all - in plextools professional the drive claims to be able to burn dvd-r at 2x clv but in nero info tool the lowest setting is 4x.

is there any way of getting nero to let me burn these disks at a lower speed?

if theres any info i didnt realise was needed ill happily post it -i hate to waste these disks as i spent nearly all my money on the burner

the burner functions excellently with the other disks i bought (tdk 4x dvd+rw ) with scans showing pie below 20 all across the disk and no pof at all.but these arent really what i would like to use for every backup dvd i ever burn.

**this post was originally in the nero forum but recived no replies - if this is becasue the answers obvious or bloody stupid could someone please tell me **

dr del
dr del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: how to lower burn speed in nero?

what is the MEDIA CODE of those memorex dvd-r? download DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER to find out the MEDIA CODE on those discs. if they're CMC which I suspect then the culprit is the media itself. CMC isn't the best dvd media to use. try using good quality dvd media like FUJI (TAIYO YUDEN), MAXELL & VERBATIM. check this site www.videohelp.com in the media section there you will see different brands of dvd media that use different manufacturers to make the blank discs. Brand name means nothing, it's the media code that is important in identifying the manufacturer.

Benq's 1620,1640,1650,1655
Pioneer 710@111L
Pioneer 1810@112L
Pioneer 115
Liteon LH-18A1P
LG GSA-H62L Sata
LG BD-ROM
Pioneer Sata 212, 215, 216
Samsung S203B Sata
DVD_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #3
New on Forum

hey DVD ADDICT,

the media came out as,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MBI 01RG20 ]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBI 01RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
----------------------------------------------------

and the drive capabilities came out as;

** INFO : Drive = PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A [FW 1.08]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:MBI 01RG20 ]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported

Does his mean there is no way i can write it at lower speeds to try and get a good burn?

its mainly the lack of speed options i'm having trouble getting used to (this is my first dvd burner, only ever used nero for cd's before).

as a side point ive noticed people are using something other than plextools to scan their burns - are there advantages to using pxscan?

i lurked here for a little while before buying the plex but to be honest most of the discussions went over my head - im blaming them for the bald spot

dr del
Old 05-07-2005   #4
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

Just copied this media list off of the Plextor site, I am not sure about the MID but I believe and could be wrong that it is Verbatim just guessing! Your MID is MBI 01RG20 and I know MCC 02RG20 8x and MCC 03RG20 16x media is Verbatim. Firmware usually decides what write speed is given to the disc MID and in looking at this list I see 4x media with only the 4x option. Posting the Nero Option for a different media so you can have a look at yours and see if you have any other options. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Some one please correct me if I am wrong.
Code:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=753 border=1><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center>4x/6x/8x/12x/16x</TD><TD vAlign=center>16x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>4x/6x/8x/12x</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>8x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTR47H5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTR47H10</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center>4x/6x/8x

</TD><TD vAlign=center>4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTR47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTR47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>2.4x</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>2.4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=8>DPR47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTP47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPR47I1P</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPR47U5P</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPR47U1M</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=16></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPR47U5M</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=middle><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=36>DVD+R DL(8.5G)</TD><TD>2.4x/4x/6x</TD><TD>2.4x</TD><TD>DTR85N1</TD><TD>DTR85Y5</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=3>DVD+RW (4.7G) </TD><TD><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=16>DTW47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTW47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTW47UM5</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD>2.4x/4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=16>DTW47V1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTW47V5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTW47VM5</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD>2.4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>2.4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPW47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DPW47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DTW472VM5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=753 border=1><!--DWLayoutTable--><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom align=middle><TD bgColor=#caea98 colSpan=10 height=23>Mitsubishi Chemical DVD-</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom align=middle><TD width=132 bgColor=#80ba86 height=36>DVD-R</TD><TD width=82 bgColor=#80ba86>Write possible speed</TD><TD width=88 bgColor=#80ba86>Model/Speed indication</TD><TD width=42 bgColor=#80ba86>1piece</TD><TD width=47 bgColor=#80ba86>5-30pcs</TD><TD width=35 bgColor=#80ba86>Bulk</TD><TD width=58 bgColor=#80ba86>Printable</TD><TD width=91 bgColor=#80ba86>Printable some pcs</TD><TD width=62 bgColor=#80ba86>Printable Bulk</TD><TD width=128 bgColor=#80ba86>Other</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=12>DVD-R (4.7G) </TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>4x/6x/8x/12x/16x</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>16x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47JP5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47JP10</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>4X/6X/8X</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>8X</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=8>DHR47H1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47H5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47HP5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47HM5</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=8></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>VHR12HP5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>VHR12HM5</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=5>4X</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=5>4X</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=4>DHR47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47UP5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=4><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47UM5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=8>DHR47V1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47V5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47VP5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=8></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47VM5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47VP10</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=8></TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR47VM5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=3>2X</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=3>2X</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=4>DRR47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DRR47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=4>DHR472U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DHR472U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom height=8>DRR47V1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DRR47V5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=middle><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=36 rowSpan=2>DVD-R DL(8.5G)</TD><TD rowSpan=2>2.4x/4x/6x</TD><TD rowSpan=2>2.4x</TD><TD rowSpan=2>DHW47Y1</TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD>DHW47Y5</TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=middle><TD>DHW47YM5</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=7>DVD-RW (4.7G) </TD><TD>2x/4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>4x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom height=16></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=4>1x/2x</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=4>2x</TD><TD vAlign=center>DHW47U1</TD><TD vAlign=center>DHW47U5</TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center>DHW47U10</TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center>DHW47V1</TD><TD vAlign=center>DHW47V5</TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center>DHW47V10</TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD vAlign=center></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD rowSpan=2>1x</TD><TD vAlign=center rowSpan=2>1x</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DRW47U1</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DRW47U5</TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD vAlign=bottom>DRW47V1A</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>DRW47V5A</TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD><TD vAlign=bottom><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Attached Images

Click here to join Myce.com
crossg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #5
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr del
as a side point ive noticed people are using something other than plextools to scan their burns - are there advantages to using pxscan?
PxScan combines multiple test results into one screen and it's freeware.

About your media, Moser Baer India is not considered quality media, it's best described, in my opinion, as B-grade media. I think you can only burn these discs at 4X but you can try to lower the write speed via PlexTools. It would be wiser though to follow DVD_ADDICT's advice and switch to better quality media.
Old 05-07-2005   #6
CDFreaks Resident

The PX-716 generally does not support lower speeds than 4x on 4x ±R media. This is exactly what
Quote:
** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Says
How a troll wants to force users of Linux to buy Windows just to make use of Plextor DVD writer unique functions
------------------------------------------------
PxScan/PxView (compatible to Premium, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716), now with built-in picture file output
Bitsetting via Autostart
My Blog about DADVSI (new french copyright)
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #7
New on Forum

hi again,

thank you all for your responses - i followed DVD ADDICT's link and see what you mean about the quality of the media.

G@M3FR3@K,

thank you for the info on pxscan ,will be taking a look shortly .it does seem these damn things only go at one speed - when i get other media how would i go about lowering the speed through plextools though? is there a manual i need to download for the hard of thinking? beause the one on the installation disk doesnt seem all that detailed.

alexnoe,

thanks for the clarification on the speed - when i saw this bit in plextools i just assumed you could always pick a lower speed if it had one.it was the fact i couldnt work out how that was driving me nuts.the fact the media said on the box 1x-4x only served to reinforce my delusion.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

i am now sitting looking through my local retailers site with videohelp open in the other window trying not to make the same mistake twice.

dr del
Old 05-07-2005   #8
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

@dr del. When you open Plextools under Help in the top L/H corner you will find the Plextools manual.
Click here to join Myce.com
crossg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005   #9
New on Forum

Hi fellas

I've also been trying to record dvd-r media at 2x speed with no results, and i've been always using quality media, namely verbatim and ritek... here follow DVD Identifier's info outputs on the referred discs:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]

and the verbatim

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 02RG20 ]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 02RG20 ]

None of the usual recording programs I use, such as nero, alcohol, clonedvd and some more, report the possibility of writing at 2x speed. I wanted to use a lower writing speed to make a failproof backup of god of war, which is constantly hanging at a given place in the game.

Any ideas?
PhiloHippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005   #10
CDFreaks Resident

Why don't you just read this thread?
How a troll wants to force users of Linux to buy Windows just to make use of Plextor DVD writer unique functions
------------------------------------------------
PxScan/PxView (compatible to Premium, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716), now with built-in picture file output
Bitsetting via Autostart
My Blog about DADVSI (new french copyright)
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote