Old 12-07-2010   #1
MyCE Senior Member

Wireless signal low?

My Cable Wi Fi wireless signal was always reading "no signal-low-very low" until i found the following by googling>"How to Increase Your Wi-Fi Signal Strength with an Aluminium foil". Now my signal shows good-very good (4 bars out of 5) and it has to go through two walls travelling 35 feet. This saved me spending a lot of money on access point/wireless repeater. Hope this helps others.(attached). I`m still working on improving it
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
deezalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Wireless signal low?

Here's a site that can help you improve upon it: http://freeantennas.com/ They have designs for both parabolic and corner reflectors.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #3
MyCE Senior Member

olyteddy---
Quote:
Here's a site that can help you improve upon it: http://freeantennas.com/ They have designs for both parabolic and corner reflectors.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010   #4
MyCE Senior Member

olyteddy---
Quote:
You appear to have some experience with this subject. Would you have a suggestion to make a reflector for my modem Netgear CGD24N v2 (attached) which has no arials but 2 built in antennae?
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

Old 12-07-2010   #5
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

I didn't realise that were routers available with built-in aerials, apart from the MiFi 3G pocket routers.

It's a pity the aerial is internal, as changing the aerial on a Wi-Fi access point to a higher gain antenna does give a much wider range. In our house, we use to get good coverage up to two rooms apart from the Wi-Fi access point and intermittent (1 to 2 bars) in the kitchen, due to concrete walls. I replaced its 2dBi aerial with a high gain 5dBi aerial and get good coverage throughout the house including 4 bar in the kitchen.

If there is any side to the router that you don't need the Wi-Fi signal going out, you could try placing a flat sheet of tinfoil or even a metal biscuit tin/lid at that side to reflect the signal, such as if the wall behind or to the side of the router is to the outside or garage.

Another good idea would be to make sure there is no obstacle around the router. For example, placing it next to the PC/monitor will cause problems, where as placing it out in the open such as up on a shelf should help give better coverage from it.

Home-made aerial tricks seem to work best for the receiver as you've discovered, as basically you are trying to make it as directional as possible. For example, I have a friend who modified a small metal rubbish bin into a very effective high gain Wi-Fi aerial However, with the Wi-Fi access point, you don't want to make this directional unless you just have the one Wi-Fi client that you are trying to target the signal at.
Seán is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010   #6
MyCE Senior Member

Sean---
Quote:
I didn't realise that were routers available with built-in aerials, apart from the MiFi 3G pocket routers.

It's a pity the aerial is internal, as changing the aerial on a Wi-Fi access point to a higher gain antenna does give a much wider range. In our house, we use to get good coverage up to two rooms apart from the Wi-Fi access point and intermittent (1 to 2 bars) in the kitchen, due to concrete walls. I replaced its 2dBi aerial with a high gain 5dBi aerial and get good coverage throughout the house including 4 bar in the kitchen.

If there is any side to the router that you don't need the Wi-Fi signal going out, you could try placing a flat sheet of tinfoil or even a metal biscuit tin/lid at that side to reflect the signal, such as if the wall behind or to the side of the router is to the outside or garage.

Another good idea would be to make sure there is no obstacle around the router. For example, placing it next to the PC/monitor will cause problems, where as placing it out in the open such as up on a shelf should help give better coverage from it.

Home-made aerial tricks seem to work best for the receiver as you've discovered, as basically you are trying to make it as directional as possible. For example, I have a friend who modified a small metal rubbish bin into a very effective high gain Wi-Fi aerial However, with the Wi-Fi access point, you don't want to make this directional unless you just have the one Wi-Fi client that you are trying to target the signal at
Thank You. (1) I`ll contact Netgear to find out where the two internal antenaees are. (2) My computer, at the back of the house, is about sixty feet from the router, in the lounge, and the signal goes through two rooms, (gyprock/plaster board walls to two desktop computers, in different rooms but similar distance from the router. The router is up high in the lounge. I have improved it from no signal and low with the alfoil just sitting behind and around the router on the sides.
Old 13-07-2010   #7
MyCE Senior Member

Netgear are no help. I thought you might like to see my latest setup. (attached). My speed is now getting up to 104MBPS.
Embedded Images

Old 13-07-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

Please be careful with the heat dissipating from the device.
The non-moving air and foil are not helping cooling the device.
Old 13-07-2010   #9
UTR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
I second the above comment. A lot of the wireless routers run hot and need all the circulation they can get. There are chips inside wireless routers that can burn your skin if you touch them.
UTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010   #10
MyCE Senior Member

Mr Belvedere---
Quote:
Thank You. There`s a lot of space in there, although i`ll put some ventilation holes in there and monitor it. There`s a ceiling fan near it so that could help.
Old 14-07-2010   #11
Senior Moderator

Another FWIW, to an RF signal metal screen (like window mesh size) looks just as solid as foil does.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #12
MyCE Senior Member

Hello again. I found that cordless phones, microwaves etc., can affect the Cable Wi Fi wireless signal strength, particularly, if a cordless phone of 2.4ghz is the same frequency as the Cable Wi Fi wireless settings. My ISP technician changed the channel in my wireless settings and now the signal is always "excellent". Also he said it`s important that the region be set correctly for the country and not to have it set at automatic. Hope this could help someone.