Old 18-02-2008   #1
MyCE Junior Member

What is the highest capacity writable DVD format?

I've heard about double-sided and double-layered writable DVD formats. Is there a writable DVD format that is both double-sided and double-layered? That would be 4 layers at 4.7 GB each for a total of 18.8 GB. Does that exist? If not, what is the highest capacity writable DVD format right now?
sl_dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: What is the highest capacity writable DVD format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_dvd View Post
I've heard about double-sided and double-layered writable DVD formats. Is there a writable DVD format that is both double-sided and double-layered? That would be 4 layers at 4.7 GB each for a total of 18.8 GB. Does that exist? If not, what is the highest capacity writable DVD format right now?
If you going to do that you should jump to BD drives. Double Sided are only avaiable to movie studio not consumer, we are limited to DL media that is on one side. That is wishful thinking but I doubt that will come anytime soon for DL RW media would be expensive and plus today drives aren't DL RW compatible they are on DVD+R/-R DL format only. You would have to purchase a new DL RW drive. Highest if you looking at DVD is DL which is 8.4G unformated media. As before if you want more you have to go to BD media...
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

There is also DVD10, called flipper, available as writeable DVD. This and doublesided DVD-RAM can hold max. of 9.4GB.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
There is also DVD10, called flipper, available as writeable DVD. This and doublesided DVD-RAM can hold max. of 9.4GB.
But I don't think I ever seen any of those in the consumer end of the market?? If they were the expense of those media would outweigh the benefits of just buying DVD+R DL media instead. And I would love to buy DVD+R DL RW media if they would make them but then again that would require buying a new drive that had DVD+R DL RW capabilities of which the current DL drives don't do.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

I wasnt talking about DVD18 or so, but DVD10. They do exist even for the consumer.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dv...+or+List+Media

Also can be bought eg. here: http://www.cdrohlinge24.de/traxdatad...x-p-15508.html

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008   #6
NBR
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
I wasnt talking about DVD18 or so, but DVD10. They do exist even for the consumer.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dv...+or+List+Media

Also can be bought eg. here: http://www.cdrohlinge24.de/traxdatad...x-p-15508.html
at that site it says... "Mediacode

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG05]" ... i thought those discs die really fast like 6months tops? ... cause i heard very bad things about RITEK G05 in general... and i knew a guy online who had em (single sided) and they died on him to.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote