Old 15-10-2006   #1
MyCE Senior Member

What does the "peace" symbol mean backwards?

Hey all, sort of a dumb question. I saw in a movie several years ago, a dude was using a hand gesture that looks like the "peace" symbol, except the hand was turned 180 degrees. Someone speculated it meant "victory", but then on a recent tv show here in Germany, the had a 2 minute clip about hand gestures around the globe, and it may have been more of a swear (from what germen i could understand.)

I think alot of you peeps are from the UK, and could help clarify this not-so-urgent-but-more-of-a-silly-question.
Zzyzxroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: What does the "peace" symbol mean backwards?

Two fingers in a 'V' sign means victory when the palm is towards the person(s) being gestured. If the palm is the other way it is considered a rude sign or challenge.
This sign is from the time when English bowmen were feared all over Europe for their firepower and accuracy. It was a defiant gesture to the enemy who would cut off the first two fingers of the bowman’s right hand if they were captured.
Loosely translated it means "come and get me" or "up yours".
Old 15-10-2006   #3
CD Freaks Boy Toy

I only know that a Y-like icon with another end in the midst of the V means WLAN.

Facebook page: Say NO to overpriced books in Germany

My collection:
Plextor PX-716UF 1.09 (TLA #0202), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Samsung SE-S224Q TS02, Plextor PX-712UF 1.04 (TLA #0104), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.02 (TLA #0102), Optiarc AD-7200A 1.06, Plextor PX-716UF 1.07 (TLA #0307), Lite-On LH-18A1H HL05, Philips JackRabbit JR32RWDVK P1.3, Philips JackRabbit JR24CDRW 1.01, LG GH22NP20 2.00, Matshita UJ-898 HC10, Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0D, Plextor PX-716UF 1.11 (TLA #0204), LG GSA-H22N 1.00, Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309)
+ Plextor PX-716A 1.09 (TLA #0309), BenQ DW1655 BCDB, Samsung TS-L632B TM31, Lite-On LTR-16101B TS0W
Lite-On SHM-165P6SU MS0P (mechanical failure), Plextor PX-708UF2 1.?? (TLA #0102) (DVD optical part died), LG GSA-H10N @ H12N UJ12 (broken tray), BenQ DW1650 BCIC (sold), Lite-On SHW-16H5S @ 1635S YS0Z (lost in a fire), LG GCE-8527B 1.04 (optical part died), Samsung TS-L632H SC04 (sold), Canon Pixma iP4300 (printer head broken)
kg_evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #4
Senior Administrator (VIP Staff)

The ”Peace symbol” is actually the CND logo (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament).

My review PC – (click to view)

To become a member of myce.com just click here to join

2 FAT 2 FLY !
Jan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #5
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzxroad
Hey all, sort of a dumb question. I saw in a movie several years ago, a dude was using a hand gesture that looks like the "peace" symbol, except the hand was turned 180 degrees. Someone speculated it meant "victory", but then on a recent tv show here in Germany, the had a 2 minute clip about hand gestures around the globe, and it may have been more of a swear (from what germen i could understand.)

I think alot of you peeps are from the UK, and could help clarify this not-so-urgent-but-more-of-a-silly-question.
Basically it means "up yours!" - an insult.

Hehe, weedougie gives more detail

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #6
MyCE Senior Member

"up yours" would make perfect sence in the scene of the movie (51st state)

Thanks!
Zzyzxroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

British culture generally uses it to mean "up yours" although Churchill used it as a symbol for victory. It has about the same effect as the middle finger gesture which is "preferred" in the USA, but is more universally understood.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Brit style and US style...
Attached Images

A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
Old 26-10-2006   #9
Top Referrer

The index and the finger adjacent to the thumb, means either:
“Up yours”
“Shit”
“C***”

The index finger:
“F***”
“F*** off”

The finger adjacent to the thumb:
“I plan to finger you”

Last edited by Arachne; 26-10-2006 at 21:34. Reason: Edited bad language ;)
bcn_246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006   #10
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Ben, can you please watch the language. Thanks

**1 post edited**

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006   #11
Blown to smitherines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan70
The ”Peace symbol” is actually the CND logo (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament).
And which way is the palm pointing?

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006   #12
Senior Administrator (VIP Staff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debro
And which way is the palm pointing?
The CND logo:
Attached Images

My review PC – (click to view)

To become a member of myce.com just click here to join

2 FAT 2 FLY !
Jan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006   #13
MyCE Resident

Churchill says "peace baby"...nah, he was saying "victory"
Attached Images

Old 27-10-2006   #14
CDFreaks Resident

If its two fingers up pointed towards someone, it is an insult that originally came about when the English were in a war with the French. As the French wernt too keen on being shot by archers, if an english archer was caught, they would cut off their fingers they used to draw the bow's string. After the English would win a battle, the archers would stick their two fingers to taunt the French, to show that they still had their two fingers left.
[/end history lesson]

*edit*

didnt read the other posts before posting

Get a VPS with $10 free credit!

http://www.alanmonger.co.uk
haveacigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn_246
The index and the finger adjacent to the thumb
Those are one and the same. The Index Finger is the pointer. Or, do you have a finger on each side of your thumb?
Western Digital 36GB Raptor SATA HDD, Western Digital 250GB Caviar SATA HDD both internal
Corsair XMS Pro PC4000 1024MB (512MB x2)
ATI Radeon 9800 128MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
KockRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006   #16
Top Referrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachne
Ben, can you please watch the language. Thanks

**1 post edited**
Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KockRoach
Those are one and the same. The Index Finger is the pointer. Or, do you have a finger on each side of your thumb?
I got the index and middle confused.

I really made a mess of that post...
Old 30-10-2006   #17
Blown to smitherines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KockRoach
Yes ....
Just not on the same hand.

You will be baked ... and there will be cake ... you monster.
Click here to still be alive!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. --Terry Pratchett

Primary PC: 1.4Ghz Quad Core Cortex A9, 2048MB Ram, Mali 400 video, 32GB Primary, 64Gb Secondary, 802.11N 2.4/5Ghz, 1280x800@10.1" with one years supply of Jelly Beans

Secondary PC: i7-Q720@1.6Ghz, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid HDD, Win7 x64 BusPre, Ati HD5470M-1GB, backlit keyboard.

Tertiary PC: Amd Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2, 120GB Plextor M5S, AMD HD7850(OC) 2GB , Win8 Pro, 24" 1920x1200, cordless keyboard + mouse + gaming mouse.
debro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #18

Sad to say but so-called peace symbol ( the upside down "Y"with a third branch or leg, in a circle) is an upside down broken cross. Anti-Christians(Satanist) would turn the cross on it's head as a sign of contempt. But when apostle Peter asked to be crucified upside down( he felt unworthy to be crucified as the lord was) the enemies then broke the arms downward to further distinguish their animosity and insult. This was one of the biggest hoax of the Sixties when occult and christian movement occurred simultaneously.
It actually means "peace from Jesus" as the occult initiate had to renounce the Lord and refuse his offer of salvation by breaking the arms. Jesus won't be bothering those who "knowingly" reject him. The thing is, we (born again believers) don't much care as we don't worship the Cross symbol- it represents, merely, the sacrifice our Lord undertook to save us and all those who will accept his invitation. The coming biblical mark of the beast will be a deliberate choice to renounce the Lord so no one will be tricked into taking it(a UPS code in your forehead or hand). Just wanted you all to know.
Jfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #19
MyCE Resident

Hmm.. i guess Wikipedia needs some serious updating then, because all they're telling is that it's just a single article claiming that:

Quote:
An article published in 1970 claimed that the peace symbol had Communist, anti-Christian, Satanist and Nazi associations. This claim is often repeated by conservative and Christian groups, for example by Christian evangelist Bob Larson in his 1989 book Satanism: The Seduction of America's Youth.
On top of that, the peace symbol seems just an N and a D in semaphore language:

Quote:
The symbol is a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for "nuclear disarmament".[17] In semaphore the letter "N" is formed by a person holding two flags in an upside-down "V," and the letter "D" is formed by holding one flag pointed straight up and the other pointed straight down.