Old 06-09-2005   #1
New on Forum

What is the best DVD Compression software?

I know that it used to be DVD shrink, but that website has been shut down and there are no new updates.
Burnout69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #2
Video editing software expert

Re: What is the best DVD Compression software?

I'm still using SHRINK... It is still available if you google for it...

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #3
New on Forum

I guess my question is are there any other DVD compression softwares available for free that are still supported?
Burnout69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #4
CDFreaks Resident

My vote is for DVD Rebuilder with CCE. It can also work with free encoders/transcoders like HC or QuEnc.
Old 06-09-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

My perosonal favourite is CloneDVD2 from ebly - you can get a great deal from www.slysoft.com if you buy AnyDVD at the same time. (you get a 21 day free trial)

This is one of those issuse that EVERYONE has an opinion on - basically you have to try a few and see what one you are happy with.
abrown15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #6
CD Freaks Member

I ust use DVD SHrink.
furqaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

DVDRebuilder.
fritzi93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

Even though DVDShrink dont have any more updates doesnt mean that it is not a good software, running AnyDVD (paid) or DVD43 (free) can crack the proection on the DVD and DVDShrink will finish the job.CloneDVD2 is also another great software but u said u want something thats FREE. I think that RatDVD is free but i have never use it.
babychar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93
DVDRebuilder.
I have to agree. Heres the link http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/index.php. The only bad thing is its slow, but the quality is definitely worth it. I usually set up a few jobs in batch mode, go to sleep, go to work, then they're done.
sikoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #10
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by babychar2002
I think that RatDVD is free but i have never use it.
RatDVD is a compression Format soley for the purpose of torrent and P2P distribution, not for Transcoding to Single Layer Discs.

AMD 64 4400+ X2 'Toledo' @ 2.6Ghz
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
2x 1024Mb DDR OCZ PC4000 Gold
2x Sparkle 7800GTX 256Mb DDR3 in SLI (513/1280)
2x Arctic NV Silencer 5 rev 3
120G Seagate SATA
250G Seagate SATA
Benq DW1640
Swiftech Extreme Liquid Cooling Kit
24" Dell LCD
Microsoft Vista Ultimate RTM v6 build 6000
pollushon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollushon
RatDVD is a compression Format soley for the purpose of torrent and P2P distribution, not for Transcoding to Single Layer Discs.
sry , as i have mentioned, i have never used this programs so i dont really know how it operates
babychar2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011   #12

The best way I found by now is DVDRebuilder+CCE, that for quality reasons. DVDShrink can also manage the compression but the final quality is poor.
sd7652001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011   #13
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd7652001 View Post
The best way I found by now is DVDRebuilder+CCE, that for quality reasons. DVDShrink can also manage the compression but the final quality is poor.
Considering dvd are less expensive then the posting was from 6 years ago since the posting was made compression would only be good if your not financial able to buy the DL media but since DL media are gone down in price I can't see why you can't use DL media just as well.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011   #14
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd7652001 View Post
Hi sd7652001 and welcome to the forums.

If it's quality you're after then DVD Rebuilder is by far the best software to use.

At higher compression levels the CCE encoder is inclined to introduce a slight amount of grain not present in the original.

Try the HC Encoder as I think it produces better results.

CCE is also prone to encoder saturation issues in certain circumstances so if you are sticking with CCE make sure you select the option to use HC Encoder for bitrate redistribution as the HC Encoder does a better job of this and doesn't suffer from encoder saturation issues.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011   #15
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
Considering dvd are less expensive then the posting was from 6 years ago since the posting was made compression would only be good if your not financial able to buy the DL media but since DL media are gone down in price I can't see why you can't use DL media just as well.
I agree, now with Blu-ray, DVD has way less resolution and if you compress it's even worse. So unless you want to make Movies for your kids that really don't care how they look, so Movie Only and use DL when it can't fit Single Layer. The software I like is DVDFab, it's Free to try but the paid version is so much better.
alchav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011   #16
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I agree, now with Blu-ray, DVD has way less resolution and if you compress it's even worse. So unless you want to make Movies for your kids that really don't care how they look, so Movie Only and use DL when it can't fit Single Layer. The software I like is DVDFab, it's Free to try but the paid version is so much better.
I agree too D/L is the only way to go if quality is a factor in your backup

As for DVDFab I'm a user myself however Magic DVD Ripper is also a great little tool which now has a forum here at MyCE you may want to check it out, it also does conversions to other video formats and has a built-in profile editor
http://club.myce.com/f177/
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011   #17
Administrator

^Except that DL media, even Verbatim, isn't as reliable long term as single layer dvds. The extra complexity in the physical structure of the DL disks makes them vulnerable to failure. Just a fact.

And if you are going to compress with a transcoder, there really isn't too much difference amongst them. They all do an acceptable job at low compression rates. So you might as well use a free one like DVDShrink. Just don't push them....too much compression with a transcoder will lead to very poor results.

If higher quality is your object, then the encoders, like HCenc, CCE and Procoder are the tools to use. Though even they have some differences in output quality as Wombler pointed out. At this point in time, I don't see any reason to use any mpeg2 encoder other than HCenc. This free mpeg2 encoder has caught and surpassed most everything on the video enthusiast market. There are some that are slightly better, but with those, you are entering the professional level, with corresponding HIGH costs.

One of the main drawbacks to using an encoder used to be the extra time it takes, but with modern, multicore computers, HCenc runs through dvds in very little time at all. DVDRebuilder is a good gui for HCenc, either the free version or the Pro version, and it is the gold standard for dvd backups these days at the amateur level.

So if you are simply backing up dvds and keeping them in dvd video, the only compelling reasons to use anything other than the free software is if you need updated decryption to cut through the newer protection schemes as they come out, or if there are some extra capabilities in the commercial software that meet your specific needs.

Even then, software like DVDFabHD Decrypter or BDLot ISO Master combined with DVDShrink and DVDRebuilder are hard to beat. Impossible in my opinion, if the only thing you are trying to do is make smaller backups of your dvd video.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011   #18
Retired Moderator

Yo Kerry

All of my backups done on D/L play flawlessly, even the ones dating back 10 years ago (All Verbatim) and all even have paper stuck on labels on them so I've got my moneys worth out of them

Maybe it depends on the quality of the burn
Old 18-11-2011   #19
Administrator

I just had one fail from 3 yrs ago. And it was as good a burn as any I've done. I always use 4x speed on MKM-001 disks, with burners of known quality.

Might want to check on some of those disks.
Old 18-11-2011   #20
MyCE Senior Member

Kerry56, I'm with StormJumper, I too go way back and have not had any DL Discs go bad on me either. I only use Verbatim, and your favorite software DVDFab with the greatest Burner Plextor, but no failures. So for DVD's I say Movie Only and DL if the size of the Movie calls for it.
alchav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011   #21
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
I just had one fail from 3 yrs ago. And it was as good a burn as any I've done. I always use 4x speed on MKM-001 disks, with burners of known quality.

Might want to check on some of those disks.
I've have just got done watching many of my older copys in the past few weeks and they all played great, I never burn D/L faster then 2.5x.
Old 18-11-2011   #22
Administrator

Have a look here: http://club.myce.com/f33/few-scans-v...3/#post2612144
Old 19-11-2011   #23
Retired Moderator

I don't bother with checking the burn quality any more although I have in the past which always showed great results, with me if I start having play back issues I just break out the original and make another which I have yet had to do.
Old 19-11-2011   #24
Administrator

Nicely sidestepped there, but doesn't address the inherent, transient nature of all our burned media. All backups will eventually fail on burned media, though it may take decades. The DL media is just a bit more vulnerable.

But we don't have good alternatives. Hard drives fail just as often, maybe more. Flash isn't recommended for long term storage either, due to its unpredictable failures.

There was an interesting development recently with a new type of disk offering 1000 yrs storage life, readable by any dvd or cd drive (though it would mean buying a special writer). M-Disc is what it was called. But it may be too little, too late as most move away from optical storage, with its limited capacity.

But back to the original question in this thread. The best compression format for dvds has moved away from mpeg2 and the old standby of dvd-video. H264 in mp4 or mkv files takes far less room and gives outstanding quality. Good tools for this include Handbrake and Ripbot264. It really depends on where you want to playback the video of course. More and more equipment is going to be compatible with mp4 and mkv though.

Last edited by Kerry56; 19-11-2011 at 02:28.
Old 19-11-2011   #25
Retired Moderator

Oh I'm sure they will fail at one point or another which I'm not to concerned with at this time, as for the 1000 yrs storage disc's I think even my coffin nails will have disintegrated by that time