Old 24-09-2008   #1
New on Forum

Backing up Vhs on DVD

I am having a problem backing up my childrens cartoon Vhs tapes. I have a Magnavox Mwr20v6 vhs dvd recorder combo. when I tried to back tape up it comes this program cant be copied. so I hooked up a Sanyo vhs/dvd combo and wired it to the the magnavox then to tv and played vhs in the Sanyo so it would play through the magnavox and tried to record but got same thing, program cant be copied. but other vhs tape works fine. All Im tring to do is back the toons up cause my kids have just about wore them out .lol. Surely there is a away around this with out having to buy something else or connecting to a computer . It just makes no sense to me . Seems like it would record just like recording something off of tv. Any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by movie freak; 24-09-2008 at 09:19. Reason: mispelled words
movie freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Backing up Vhs on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie freak View Post
I am having a problem backing up my childrens cartoon Vhs tapes. I have a Magnavox Mwr20v6 vhs dvd recorder combo. when I tried to back tape up it comes this program cant be copied. so I hooked up a Sanyo vhs/dvd combo and wired it to the the magnavox then to tv and played vhs in the Sanyo so it would play through the magnavox and tried to record but got same thing, program cant be copied. but other vhs tape works fine. All Im tring to do is back the toons up cause my kids have just about wore them out .lol. Surely there is a away around this with out having to buy something else or connecting to a computer . It just makes no sense to me . Seems like it would record just like recording something off of tv. Any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
I installed a TV turner card in my computer and hooked my VHS player to it and I play and record the tape to my HDD then convert to DVD format using DVDFlick(FREE) then burn to DVD
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008   #3
New on Forum

Thanks but I wasn't looking to buy anything extra or using computer.
Old 24-09-2008   #4
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie freak View Post
Thanks but I wasn't looking to buy anything extra or using computer.
Thats ok was just pointing out how I do it, did have the same trouble as you .

BTW...welcome to CD Freaks I'm sure another member will step in and give you more advice
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

If your Magnavox Mwr20v6 vhs dvd recorder combo, or any other vhs/DVD combo recorder will not copy it,then I'd also try the TV Tuner route as the Storm suggested.. I use a Hauppauge capture card,which btw,ignores macrovision.....
Just trying to help...

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008   #6

vhs to TV to vhs/dvd using the rca connectors on the back of your TV if you have them.
Sometimes work

Forum Rules: http://club.myce.com/f34/announcemen...uidelines.html

GO TEAM GO Fold for team 13505 http://folding.stanford.edu/

Help us save some lives by joining the Distributed Computing Teams : F@H or WGC or BOTH
bean55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008   #7
New on Forum

Video capture program

I am tring to back up my kids vhs cartoons onto DVD. I am using a capture card but the capture program I have cant get passed the macrovision. anyone know a good easy to use free capture program?
Old 25-09-2008   #8
Administrator

Re: Video capture program

If you are running into problems with macrovision, you'll need a image stabilizer device. They are getting harder to find as vhs fades from common use, and Macrovision has sued some of the manufacturers (like Sima). I know Dimax makes some. http://www.dimax.com.ua/common/default.shtml

A time base corrector will also work, but this is an expensive solution.

Another solution is to use a capture card that effectively ignores macrovision, like most of the Happauge capture cards.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008   #9
Senior Moderator & Editor

Two threads merged. movie freak: please let's keep it all in the same one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

Kerry56 wrote,

"Another solution is to use a capture card that effectively ignores macrovision, like most of the Happauge capture cards."

Yeah that's what I use, the Hauppauge 150 PVR capture card..Not the best or latest,but I only use it occasionally...Works good for me...

Looks like the thread was merged,and I've posted already....
As far as capture proggies, try GB-PVR, Beyond TV.. etc.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/capture

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008   #11
MyCE Resident

movie freak, Try Sima GoDVD CT - 200 or Digimax (never tried it) or, The Clarafier any device that strips the macrovision signal.

Macrovision3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008   #12
New on Forum

I got nero vision to do it but it took over two hours from start of capture to disc came out of the burner. Picture quality was poor and had no audio.
Old 25-09-2008   #13
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

You can still get these Macrovision-ignoring devices via eBay
New or used...they are a fair and cheap solution.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote